against toss and terran when using zerg..any ideas?

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

slay3r_
Conscript
Conscript

against toss and terran when using zerg..any ideas?

Post by slay3r_ »

what to get when versing
Terran : marine medivac siege tank and about 2 thors

i've tried ling hydra ....... and roach spam on 2 seperate occasions ... didnt work

Protoss: collosus,few stalkers and alot of zealots with sentries and the anti air for toss(forgot name :P)

tried ling hydra with muta(obviously got own by his anti air)

any ideas, please post.

thanks
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: against toss and terran when using zerg..any ideas?

Post by deadhanddan »

vs marine and zealot, early game go with zergling and bane and or roach if need be. when/if u get to lair then add in infestor to fungal growth his ground units, then swarm his units with bane and zergling
- Dan
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

I aint a zerg expert but vs the T army i would try muta+zergling+baneling, and later in the game maybe add infestors for fundal growth

and vs the P army

If he is massing colossus you need air units to take them out, since he also gots anti air corruptors are the best choice. Vs the rest of his army make a mix of roach + hydra
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Yeah like Bart said.
Against T get zlingpseed and then expand around 20. Get lair make spire and bnest. You onlyu have to make a few mutas (5-10) to force him to make more marines and turrets. Then add infestors, fungal and own his army with blings and lings. If you cant kill him make hive and ultralisks.

Against P i recommend FE and spine crawler/zergling defence until you get hydralisks. Make some hydras and add roach warren and roaches. When you get an pretty good army add spire and if he makes colossi make corruptors. If you cant end the game with hydra roach, morph hive and greater spire and make some broodlords.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""HeJurmhoanni""]Yeah like Bart said.
Against T get zlingpseed and then expand around 20. Get lair make spire and bnest. You onlyu have to make a few mutas (5-10) to force him to make more marines and turrets. Then add infestors, fungal and beat his army with blings and lings. If you cant kill him make hive and ultralisks.

Against P i recommend FE and spine crawler/zergling defence until you get hydralisks. Make some hydras and add roach warren and roaches. When you get an pretty good army add spire and if he makes colossi make corruptors. If you cant end the game with hydra roach, morph hive and greater spire and make some broodlords.[/quote]

5-10 mutas is a boatload of gas 500-1000 !!! that is needed for other vespene heavy units and techs. more then likely at this point in time in game ur roughly at 2 base , possibly 3 if the terran is really passive. at 3 base i can see this as viable without sacrificing other lair tech and units but its a gamble @ 2 base. infestor is a safer option as u dont need more then 2-3 to start wreaking havoc on a terran bio-mech ball with fungal growth and infested terran which at any rate can help serve as anti air if needed.

if going that muta heavy that quickly u run chance of having ur bases+main getting steamrolled
- Dan
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

U have a point but making those 5 mutas forces your opponent to make turrets before he attacks, which means his push is being dealyed and weakened.

Also, he needs more marines cause you have the option to make more mutas, and him making more marines then marauders makes your infestors, zlings and banelings much more devastating (if hes doing marines and maras).

If he's doing this marine tank + few thors your mutas forces more marines and less thors which also make your infestor zergling bane more efficient. If he instead decides to make more thors, he cant get as many tanks, which AGAIN makes your bling zling infestor more efficient.

If hes going mech you can always train more mutas to beat his thors, since thors arent that good vs mass muta, so then he only has tanks and hellions and neither one of them can shoot air.

So, when playing against T as Z making few mutas pretty fast is always good, no matter what your opponent is doing.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

thats very true but slay3r's question was what to do vs marine medivac seigetank and thor

being as medivacs are present means he has a starport or two running. in that case the terran can go viking and really screw up a muta b.o.. viking are cheaper and do better then muta in air to air *granted that the terran spreads his vikings to avoid glaive AoE*. with the infestor option i pointed out , slay3r could fungal 2/3rds of the terran army and keep viking out of the game. yes muta do very well in harassing but a spire takes longer to finish mutating then an infestation pit and infestor option saves tons of precious gas. idk difference of oppinion i guess
- Dan
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Yeah spire sucks but mutas pwn ^^
Hmm maybe the safest way could be to scout b4 lair finishes and then decide can you survive long enough to get the mutas harassing at the opponents base. If timing push/no expo is scouted infestors could be better to get fast instead of mutas, dunno. Usually i make few spines and extar lings/blings if i think a timing push is coming, but just those first 5 mutas cant fend off any timing push. He even might kill you before you get the mutas. :P
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

vikings suck vs muta ^^, only use of vikings in this matchup is overlord hunting, which is pretty anooying :(
slay3r_
Conscript
Conscript

Post by slay3r_ »

cheers guys, but the other thing is viking own mutas imo. and the bit about mutas winning thor, i'll have to disagree cause they shoot 4 at a time, so when they have 2-3 they practically destroy the mutas -_-"
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Vikings arent that good vs muta. The same amount of vikings vs same amount of mutas, mutas win.
Heres a video demonstrating how mutas do against thors: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=145936
And some other interesting stuff about mutas vs thors:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=146225

EDIT: The flyer carapace upgrade helps A TON against thors because of thor strikes four times in one attack, so the upgrade takes 4 dmg away insted of 1. ;)
WarlordR
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by WarlordR »

U have a point but making those 5 mutas forces your opponent to make turrets before he attacks, which means his push is being delayed and weakened.

- So true, possibly the best thing to do, as this will not only mean muta harass, but also a quick(er) tech to broodlord, a serious threat to any terran. :twisted:

If hes going mech you can always train more mutas to beat his thors, since thors arent that good vs mass muta.

- Not so true, the Thor's Javelin Missiles have a blast radius (AoE) and do highly increased damage against light units (Muta, for example).
Also, as the mutalisk's attacks bounce from unit to unit, high armor units (Thor, for example) will take highly reduced damage from these bounces. :idea:

So, when playing against T as Z making few mutas pretty fast is always good, no matter what your opponent is doing.

- True, Mutas are annoying as hell and hard to defend against with terran (due to their speed), only viable option seems to be putting up turrets. :x
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

watch the links hejurm posted, with correct use of muta you can dodge the aoe of the thors
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

when fighting thors with mutas, have them all in a staggered formation, then select them, move to a point behing the thor and when you are directly upon the thor (and every muta of you is able to attack them) press the stop button so your units stop and still stay in formation, and attack. that way you avoid the splash damage.. also as bart said, baneling/ling and muta are an extremely strong combo vs terran, add in some infestors and you win =P
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

^ it isn't the thor thats the problem, its the marine + medivac. while ur spending all ur time trying to kill thor the marine are below all the muta stimmed up - being healed by medivac, and pwning. thats why i said to go infestor!! i mean come on , if ur playing vs a decent terran who's not half assing , they will have SCV behind thier army ready to repair tank and thor. i just can't see throwing all that gas on muta when u can spend it on infestor+bane+roach etc and halt the terran right then and there
- Dan