World Cup Discussion

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: World Cup Discussion

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""HuggyPierre""]Did any of you ever shot a penalty? It definitely isn't that easy.[/quote]

If I paid someone £100,000 a week, I would expect them to hit the target every time. The keeper may save it, but to miss the goal completely is unforgivable.[/quote]

They are still humans, though. And humans tend to think about situations and what happens if...And if you start thiking like that, you also might miss a penalty. There is a reason, why not always the best players shoot a penalty, but the players who can handle the pressure and stress best. And in the World Cup, there is alot of pressure and stress.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""][quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""HuggyPierre""]Did any of you ever shot a penalty? It definitely isn't that easy.[/quote]

If I paid someone £100,000 a week, I would expect them to hit the target every time. The keeper may save it, but to miss the goal completely is unforgivable.[/quote]

They are still humans, though. And humans tend to think about situations and what happens if...And if you start thiking like that, you also might miss a penalty. There is a reason, why not always the best players shoot a penalty, but the players who can handle the pressure and stress best. And in the World Cup, there is alot of pressure and stress.[/quote]
Yeah I agree, if you know that winning or losing the world cup depends on your penalty, it's really tough to take that penalty, and a big part of the world wouldn't be able to handle the stress
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""jerom""][quote=""HuggyPierre""][quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""HuggyPierre""]Did any of you ever shot a penalty? It definitely isn't that easy.[/quote]

They are still humans, though. And humans tend to think about situations and what happens if...And if you start thiking like that, you also might miss a penalty. There is a reason, why not always the best players shoot a penalty, but the players who can handle the pressure and stress best. And in the World Cup, there is alot of pressure and stress.[/quote]
Yeah I agree, if you know that winning or losing the world cup depends on your penalty, it's really tough to take that penalty, and a big part of the world wouldn't be able to handle the stress[/quote]

Are you still not getting it? The whole point is they are chosen and paid that much because they CAN handle the pressure and deal with it. It has nothing to do with the stress.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

uhm no they are chosen cause they are incredible good football players, but from inside they are just like you and me and they crap their pants if they have to take those penalty's
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Bart331""]uhm no they are chosen cause they are incredible good football players, but from inside they are just like you and me and they **** their pants if they have to take those penalty's[/quote]

Well I completely disagree. If they can't handle the pressure they have no right to be in the game. You telling me they can can't handle the pressure of a world cup game? Regardless of penalties, the pressure is always there, throughout the whole game. So it's not just a case of there being pressure on a penalty. Yes, they are good footballers, but any footballer who cannot handle pressure is as good as worthless.
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""Bart331""]uhm no they are chosen cause they are incredible good football players, but from inside they are just like you and me and they **** their pants if they have to take those penalty's[/quote]

Well I completely disagree. If they can't handle the pressure they have no right to be in the game. You telling me they can can't handle the pressure of a world cup game? Regardless of penalties, the pressure is always there, throughout the whole game. So it's not just a case of there being pressure on a penalty. Yes, they are good footballers, but any footballer who cannot handle pressure is as good as worthless.[/quote]
I think the pressure gets significantly higher when you're taking a penalty, for me this is real life experience, though I agree that they are paid to be able to handle the pressure.

You have 2 ways of missing a penalty, the first is shooting it good but just being unlucky that the keeper chooses the right corner and the second is just shooting totally terrible. If the second one is the case, it's really the fault of the player, however hard it could be to take a penalty
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""jerom""][quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""Bart331""]uhm no they are chosen cause they are incredible good football players, but from inside they are just like you and me and they **** their pants if they have to take those penalty's[/quote]

Well I completely disagree. If they can't handle the pressure they have no right to be in the game. You telling me they can can't handle the pressure of a world cup game? Regardless of penalties, the pressure is always there, throughout the whole game. So it's not just a case of there being pressure on a penalty. Yes, they are good footballers, but any footballer who cannot handle pressure is as good as worthless.[/quote]
I think the pressure gets significantly higher when you're taking a penalty, for me this is real life experience, though I agree that they are paid to be able to handle the pressure.

You have 2 ways of missing a penalty, the first is shooting it good but just being unlucky that the keeper chooses the right corner and the second is just shooting totally terrible. If the second one is the case, it's really the fault of the player, however hard it could be to take a penalty[/quote]

IMO if the keeper saves it, you haven't missed. They have a job to do too, although there job is much tougher. I'm not talking about saved shots, only about missed penalties.
I mean, lets be serious here, they are kicking the ball from a distance of 12 yards, at a target size of 24ft wide and 8ft high, you seriously think that it's acceptable for these guys to miss the target area completely?
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

I have to say what a pleasure it was to see Portugal get beat by this over-rated Spain side... mmm I wonder who called them over rated.. hehe. I enjoyed the game apart from the the protesting of the sending off! shocking is was, he fouled that spainsh player well and truely. I just wished it showed the Spainsh player winking like another player we know. Hehe
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

though they win by an offside goal
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""jerom""]though they win by an offside goal
[/quote]

You need to back up the frame of reference. Villa wasn't even close to being offside. The rules state that the reference time is WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED. Look at where the ball is in that video, it's a poor analysis.

As to the PK discussion - Jim is spot-on. They should at the very least put the ball on frame.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

[quote=""emperoral""]I have to say what a pleasure it was to see Portugal get beat by this over-rated Spain side... mmm I wonder who called them over rated.. hehe. I enjoyed the game apart from the the protesting of the sending off! shocking is was, he fouled that spainsh player well and truely. I just wished it showed the Spainsh player winking like another player we know. Hehe[/quote]

Spain is in fact overrated, or else they wouldn't have won with an offside goal :D
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Ok guys, I'll admit it, I can see in the future :roll: .

I predict an angry reaction from Jarrod to Diogo his post :-P
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

When I posted his post wasn't here yet, anyway in this video, despite the poor quality, you can see clearly the offside:

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I'm just wondering, who will be the winner of Brazil-Holland, many people I know say Brazil is the better one and fear them, so what's ur opinion on this ?
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

[quote=""jerom""]...many people I know say Brazil is the better one...[/quote]

I can, unfortunately, only agree :sad:
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson