FP 1.3 in real coding by me - anyone interested?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

FP 1.3 in real coding by me - anyone interested?

Post by murdilator »

Hello all! Ever since I released my "FP 1.3" scenario, I have wanted to redeem myself. I felt that I had let some of you down. I am officially announcing that I am postponing the scenario design competition until Christmas, but am releasing this Murd's Balance 1.3a. Now before we get all excited about everything, I would like to say a couple things. Coding is not impossible as I thought. I, however, have not done Strings, which mean I have not updated visual card updates (like 8 Rajputs instead of 7 Rajputs, and Politicians) and small art files for infinite shipments and stuff like that. Also, the changes are not exactly like the ones in the scenario. I think the Outpost Trickle is hardcoded; and experienced coder would have to look at this. I have not added any of the Japan changes that would drastically change the Japanese civilization. Everything else I have done to my utmost. This is my first time I have ever done real coding. I also have put the changes in English.

Patch Notes are included in download.

So I need a little help with unit strings for an official patch, and a set back is that the patch notes are only in English.

This patch focuses on balance. The most affected are Iroquois, India, Ottomans, Aztecs, Portuguese, and Mercenaries. I have tested most of these changes on DM against the Drauger AI, which does give a reasonable fight.

Download link:

http://rts-sanctuary.com/index.php?port ... try2119024

Once you download this, unzip/extract it into the following folder:

%USERPROFILE/MyDocuments/MyGames/AgeOfEmpiresIII/FanPatches

You now can launch Murd's Balance Patch, based on Age Sanctuary 1.2. It is compatible with V18 of the Patch Launcher. I am not sure about V17 or earlier versions. This patch may need a very few tweaks in it, but so far is looking quite competitive and really brings the Iroquois (REALLY), Ottomans, and Aztecs (lategame) back into prominence.

regards,

murdilator
Last edited by murdilator on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

Scenario Design Competition Participant 2009:

3v3 WildernessRoad: https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/ ... ileid=2521
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: FP 1.3 in real coding by me - anyone interested?

Post by jerom »

Wow that is really great men, I'm going to try to get it working (not sure if it will work since TWC is fruited up for me and fp didn't wnat to really work either)

EDIT: Well, no luck, it doesn't really work, but I think the changes seem quite nice, would really love to see a boost to Dutch tho.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

I will need your help. I do not know much about Dutch or other civs other than Portugal, Iroquois, and India. I am working on the strings. I have many done, but I don't know much about pictures. Also I will remove a couple changes that are not so necessary.

However, I could upload the Proto Files as separate files for you. As long as you are on FP 1.2, or you say FP does not work I could do something about that.

Any suggestions you could think of would help, since I do not know much about other civs other than the ones I mentioned.
"Feel the Might of the Sioux!" - Gall, when fighting and defeating your army at his own base.

---------------

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

The rude comments it got on agesanctuary actually hurt me a little bit, since I like this patch in a lot of ways, maybe a little change here and there, but that should be it.

What if we would make it the N3O balance patch BTW ?

EDIT : Got it running on my other comp, and you know what I find most entertaining, you can actually play rated on it !
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""jerom""]

What if we would make it the N3O balance patch BTW ?
[/quote]

good idea. Get this project going!

out
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

Thanks guys a lot. N3O deserves this, not Age Sanctuary.

I am finding that strings are quite easy, although I have not found out how to change the icon. I am updating it since the first version is a bit buggy with the Infinite cards. Be sure to note that I may change the Iroquois 500 food/wood/coin shipment into a 1300 infinite wood shipment, if this is pleasing. This will be open testing for N3O members :).

I ask for assistants :), and I will continue to post the new version on this post.

regards,

murdilator

---------------

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I'd be really glad to help as much as I can :D

EDIT : Made a word document of all the patch notes, fp 1.00 till your patch. Just for everyone, including me, to get clear how the devolopements have been, and if we use the list of strongest and weakest civs we'd be able to conclude which civs needs nerfs or boost in fp 1.2, for as far as you have missed something. Will link the list too.

http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... c&start=15

EDIT 2 : Don't seem to be able to add the word document yet, well if you want it pm me and I'll try to mail it via e-mail or sth.
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

Good. I will be busy the rest of this week, but will try a little on weekends. Help will be greatly appreciated :).

---------------

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Got through the patch notes of all the notes, and I think some additional balance changes are needed:

- British should be nerfed a little bit more
- Dutch could use a boost (maybe get the 100 wood extra crates, and get the 100 coin extra crates out of there)
- Port might be a little bit too good, not sure at all though
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Alright, I'm gonna give a little hand on this.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

GENERAL CHANGES

Skirmisher, Consulate Roger's Rangers, Consulate Prussian Needle Gunners, Gurkhka, Jaeger, Repentant Jaeger, Wakina Rifle, Forest Prowler, and Arquebusier speed increased to 4.20 (up from 4.0).

Sounds ok

Outpost Build limit decreased to 5, cost reduced to 215 wood, train points to 42. Build limit increased by 2 upon hitting fortress.

Increasing the outposts influence in the game isn't a good idea. It promotes relying on buildings instead of relying on units, which can make civs like dutch or ports a nightmare to play against. I suggest keeping this one out

Extensive Fortifications now only gives +3.0 Outpost and Blockhouse build limit. Also, Outposts and Blockhouses recieve +4.0 LOS and -20% Train points when Extensive Fortifications is sent.
The card is useless as is, so getting this boost should be ok

European Schooners Card: effect changed to -35.0 wood cost (up from -30.0).
Ok because the difference isn't much

Asian Schooners Cards: effect changed to -25.0 wood cost (up from -20.0).
Same as above

Grenadier hitpoints reduced to 180, cost to 110 food, 50 coin, hand attack increased to 11, armor increased to 0.60, speed to 4.25, Volley range to 14, and LOS to 16. Likewise, Consulate Young Gardes and other grenadier units are affected. Chakram armor increased to 0.60; Arsonist hitpoints increased to 320, speed increased to 4.5, caption increased from 48 to 70, cost reduced to 285, hand attack increased to 17, Volley range increased to 14, LOS to 16. Repentant Arsonists are also affected.

Grenadiers are tough to balance. I'd personally make them have 150 hp, 100f 50c, .5 rr, 4 speed, 14 range 16 los and cost 1 pop but this requires testing because brits and ottos may be able to abuse grens easily.

Bayonet tech now affects all musketeer and grenadier units.
I know it is a little irrevelant but grens use swords, not bayonets ^^

Advanced Consulate Card now also gives Consulate Armies -10% export cost.
Requires testing due to french consu crate spamming strat by india and china but possibly a viable change

Spy hand attack increased back to 10, siege to 15, but hidden multiplier against natives reduced to 3x (down from 4x).

Spies aren't meant to deal with regular units because themselves aren't countered by any one, I'd make them cost 100c instead of changing their stats so that you can get spies when you actually need them

Assassins Card now also gives Spy unit +15.0 LOS.

Ok because there isn't much of a difference
Agents Card now also gives Spy unit +100% Damage.
On your patch this would mean that spies would have 20 attack, which allied with the hp might became an issue. What about something cooler, like giving spies a x5 multiplier vs villagers? Spies would have more hp with this card and 5x5=25 attack vs vills, which is a fun objective and doesn't really screw balance

Culverin cost reduced to 100 wood, 350 coin. Bounty reduced to 45. Consulate Culverins also affected.

Promotes turtling and in my opinion falcs and culvs are fine

Horse Artillery speed reduced to 5.40, cost reduced to 100 wood, 475 coin, train points increased to 48 (up from 45). Bounty reduced to 58. Consulate Horse Artillery also affected.

Horse artillery are fine as well imo, you're nerfing its speed that is what makes it different from a falconet

All Artillery except Culverins and Mortars now recieve a 0.75x multiplier against Mantlet units. Consulate Artillery, Flamethrowers, Lil' Bombards, Hand Mortars, Grenadier, Consulate Young Garde, and Abus Guns also affected.

It's more simple to boost the Mantlets themselves than giving other units a negative multiplier vs them

All Mantlet Units have +2.0 Range and LOS, with 0.60 armor and 4.0 speed.

Seems plausible, but the iroquois cards that boost mantlets need to be revised. Facing 125 of these Mantlets must be a nightmare haha

Ironmonger Card: effect increased to +25% mining (up from +20% mining). TEAM Ironmonger Card increased to +15% mining (up from +10%).
Doesn't have a big influence in the game, it's ok-

Silversmith Card: effect increased to +25% mining (up from +20% mining). TEAM Silversmith Card increased to +15% mining (up from +10%).

Same.

Capitalism Card: effect increased to 1.50 Coin trickle to match with Distributivism (up from 1.25 Coin Trickle). Consulate Capitalism also increased to new level.
Same.
Colbertism Card: effect increased to 1.85 Food trickle to match with Distributivism (up from 1.50 Food Trickle). Consulate Colbertism also increased to new level.

Same.

Royal Mint Card: effect reduced to +20%.

Refrigeration: effect reduced to +15%.

Economic Theory: effect reduced to +8%.
These cards shouldn't be touched imo, they're aren't too strong especially in an 1v1 context

Native Earth Ceremony Tech now gives +15% plantation gather rates (up from +10%).

I'd even make it +20%

All Native American Travois Units' obstruction radius decreased to 0.4900 (down from 0.9900). This includes Iroquois Travois, Discovery Travois, War Hut Travois, Farm Travois, Trading Post Travois, and Nobles' Hut Travois. Town Travois is not affected, and neither are European wagons or Asian rickshaws. Native Embassy Travois is affected.
Sounds ok

Some European 'Royal Decree' Church Techs are boosted where needed. Descriptions are below.

Church hitpoints increased to 2000, build points to 12, LOS to 14. Asian Consulate Church now changed to new stats.
Churches only cost 100w, 1500 hp matches their cost. Also only the ottoman mosque is often attacked most of the times.

Native Embassy cost increased to 125. Bounty increased to 25, kill bounty to 30.
No need to nerf the natives here.

Surgeon hitpoints increased to 360, armor to 0.20 (ranged), cost reduced to 240, speed increased to 4.25. Bounty decreased to 24.

Sounds ok.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

AZTECS

Villager cost reduced to 90 food, Train points to 22.5. XP Bounty reduced to 9 XP.
It's not coherent to make azzie vills cheaper than the rest

Skull Knight Train Points reduced from 40 to 27.

40 to 27 is too extreme, it's already fast the way it is. With further testing, perhaps 35.

Jaguar Prowl Knight cost reduced from 120 food, 30 coin, to 110 food, 30 coin. Train points to 35 (down from 28), and speed increased to 4.8.

4.8 speed is tricky. I'd leave them the way they are or perhaps give it +1 attack.

Jaguar Prowl Knights now have a 0.75x bonus against Grenadiers, Chakrams, Mercenary Chakrams, Arsonists, Repentant Arsonists and Consulate Young Gardes.
Makes the game more complicated. I wouldn't touch this, Grens are supposed to be beaten by melee units anyway.

Coyote Runner attack reduced to 16, cover to 8, and a 1.25x multiplier against Infantry added, with 0.8x multiplier against Heavy Infantry.
Seems reasonable but requires testing. The aztec colonial army is based on 3 units only and the relations between them are a bit sensitive due to the lack of a musket unit.

Arrow Knights now have a hidden 3.5x bonus against Urumi Swordsman. This was done to give the Aztecs a reasonable counter to Urumi.

Coyotes are the counter to Urumi, especially after the 16*1.25 vs RI

Fortress Warrior Politician now delivers 4 Skull Knights (instead of 3).
4 sk's are worth 1200 coin, seems a little extreme.

Industrial Warrior Politician now delivers 6 Skull Knights (instead of 5 Skull Knights).

1800 coin worth is too much as well

Imperial Warrior Politician now delivers 11 Skull Knights (instead of 8 Skull Knights).
Doesn't have a huge influence in the game, sounds ok

Warhut ranged attack increased to 33 (up from 30).

Careful with the turtling, but this should be ok.

IROQUOIS

Villager cost reduced to 90 food, train points to 22.5. XP Bounty reduced to 9 XP.
Same as azzies.

Tomahawk hitpoints increased to 160, speed to 4.25.
Overboosted, I'd stick to the 4.25 speed and keep out the +10 hp

Mantlet armor increased to 0.60, speed to 4.0, range increased to 12.0, LOS to 16.0.

Mantlets need their hp reduced so that cav can counter them easily to compensate for the extra rr an speed. This requires testing.

Legendary Ram and Legendary Mantlet Techs reduced to 1000 wood, 1000 coin.

It's not coherent to make these different from the rest.

Colonial Warrior Politician now gives 2 Mantlets + 1 Travois (instead of 1 Mantlet + 1 Travois).
Needs testing because it might create a good iro rush (i.e. 13 vill age up, ship 6 tomas and make tomas to back up the mantlets

Industrial Warrior Politician now gives 6 Mantlets + 1 Travois (instead of 5 Mantlets + 1 Travois).
ok

Imperial Warrior Politician now gives 11 Mantlets + 1 Travois (instead of 10 Mantlets + 1 Travois).

ok
Iroquois Warchief hitpoints increased to 500, armor to 0.20.
not ok, the warchief is a pain to kill in colonial and fortress age with this change. Leave it as is, the iro as to protect its chief

Great House Card: now gives Town Centers -30% cost and +60% damage (up from -25% cost and +50% damage).

Short boost, it's ok.
Musket Rider cost changed from 55 food, 100 coin, to 65 food, 90 coin.
Removes a bit of its uniqueness, not sure if needed.

Aenna ranged attack reduced to 11 (down from 12), hand attack reduced to 7 (down from cool.gif, and siege attack reduced to 11 (down from 12).
Aennas don't need nerf

Forest Prowler ranged attack increased to 17 (up from 16).
Not needed, especially after +0.20 speed

Siege Discipline Card: effect changed to -15% Ram, Mantlet, and Light Cannon cost (instead of reduced population count).
Good change.

Light Cannon hitpoints increased to 175, multiplier against infantry increased to 2.5x.
A little overboosted, especially the hp. Remember they're 100w 300c

I'll review the rest later hehe
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

The only notes I will even try to make a note on are the azzie ones so far, but feel free to correct em sporting (or someone else)

I always felt JPK had some underlying issue. They had a multiplier against Heavy Infantry, but in most games wasn't able to even get close to the inf if the opponent was playing smartly. That being said, although extra speed would be nice, I don't know how it would play out and I might go with sporting on this one. I was thinking that an extra boost vs cav might make them more useful...

As for the Skull Knights, I agree that it would be a bit too good, at least the fortress ageup. I loved using the ageup, and then sending the 4 Skull card right when i got to fortress to get 7. If it was eight I think it might be a bit much..

Man this makes me want to play some more AOE3 again!
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

it seems to me as a crapload of random changes not dealing with the issues in game

a) this makes this game too complicated
b) it doesnt improve balance

a+b = its useless
murdilator
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by murdilator »

I will simplify as suggested. Also, a lot of changes will be removed as suggested as well. The Iroquois may have a problem countering lancing units though.

Jags on FP maul grenadiers a bit too much I think. But think. In fortress, with Grens in colonial having 180 hp, 18x3= 54, meaning jags kill them in four hits. The Jag improved speed is extremely important for lategame, as is for Urumi. I will change back a few things with Mahouts and Howdahs, with the extra multipliers.

I disagree on turtling a little bit. Turtling should be an option, although I may nerf it a bit on this patch. Perhaps just -25 wood cost instead of -35, and 45 train points. I will also try and fix bugs.

Maybe Brits could have increased Longbowmen cost, like 65 food, 40 wood, or 65 food, 45 wood, and/or perhaps 0.6x against cavalry?

Maybe French Cuirs could have 1 area, but Thoroughbreds give +1 Area?

regards,

murdilator
Last edited by murdilator on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

---------------