the state ESO has has turned into..

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

the state ESO has has turned into..

Post by LaZy »

Most people that have played this franchise b4 AoEIII complained for several months that it was so hard 2 get games in ESO compared 2 the Zone. The game had become 2 competetive since no1 really wanted 2 "risk" their PR. Non rated games never really became popular since its generally percieved of "a waste of time". Why play non rated and have fun when u can play games full of stress and increase ur PR by 0.000001%

The "hole" community complained throughout TAD 1.01 that Japan was simply unbearable and India pure lamage. The fine people that created the fan patch sat down, discussed, worked EXTREMLY hard and took care of bussiness. A huge hype around the whole thing was developed, most clans took the fan patch aboard and officialy embraced it. YET how is it that currently there are 32 open games on ESO with only 3 patched?

The state that ESO has turned into...makes me sad!

out

PS I say if any of u fine people spot this CRC mismatch guy on the street run him over!
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: the state ESO has has turned into..

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I have always been curious about pre-AOE3 game-matching sites. I heard that AOE2 did not have a PR system, so I can imagine it was much more relaxed and easier to find a game. I think there was an ELO system for people who really cared, but if you went on the game-matching site, you didn't get your rank smeared in your face all the time.

That must have been a nice time. It makes sense that N3O carried on that non-rated tradition, since the core guys all have played earlier versions of the franchise. If N3O plays the way the game was originally played, AOE2 must have been a blast!

Lazy, I share your despair about ESO. ESO almost drove me completely away from this game... until I found this magnificent alternate reality called N3O! Keep it going, fellas! I have a feeling that, even when ESO is gone, we will keep doing our thing as we always have.

ONE LAST POINT : If the zone was not rated, and people did not stress out about PR so much back then, there must not have been cheating, drop-ticking, hacking, whining and other nastiness, right? By transforming something into a competitive enterprise, you bring out the bad in people, I have discovered. ESO seems to confirm this. Outside N30, it appears to be populated by punks, wannabes and ruthless loudmouths.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Warlord678 »

I agree. I found ESO irritating until I discovered this clan. If it wasn't for n3o, I probably wouldn't play this game. It is nice to log online and know you are going to get a friendly fun game, and not worry if your going to get some punk yelling at you.

Patch? I figured alot more people would pick it up just by seeing so many people excited for it. Umm.. where are they? I still see everyone on the regular patch. It's just a waiting game, will they eventually use it or no?

I'm just glad to be here. Everyone here has the patch and you're always going to get a carefree fun game. Thanks for that guys.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I didn't play a single rated game on aoc's zone and I still had a lot of fun playing the ''normal'' aoc before turning to the super leet aoc scenarios. They really mock the aoe3's scenarios, these ''cat chases rat'', ''colloseum arena 1000.43 beta'' really sucks
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Interesting you should write this.

I mainly QS. Although, I've had a few games with you guys recently which I've really enjoyed. Since the patch, I think I've found it harder to get QS opponents. Plus, when the pickings are hard and you play someone, it increases the chances of getting the same person again when you QS after a game.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Problem is that Lt+ play with patch and the rest without patch because they don't know AS
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

even then. I just installed the patch afther i joined n30. simply it had a purpose in getting games with the clan. For the rest the patch is useless to find games...

And i'm not an japan or india lamer. i don't play the asain civics. Most people care about finding a game and less about balance.

And that's the reason.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

ROFL at your last comment. I think I know someone who can help you out. *Cough MrSniffles Cough.* I am pretty fortunate that in my range it's pretty easy to get a game going and my gameplay has been relatively unaffected. It still would be nice if ESO would implement the patch though. In all honesty the guys who made it are smarter than those buffons at ESO. They don't realize that by NOT implementing it they are hurting themlselves and the franchise.
DrWho42
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by DrWho42 »

I have been disappointed that the fan patch has not gained wider traction with ESO players. It seems the FP is used mostly by higher level players. It is almost impossible to find games outside of the clan on the FP for lower level players like me (PR17). I have to switch to TAD 1.01 to find any QS games or random team games.

I am not exactly sure why the FP hasn't taken hold. I think convenience might be one consideration. With all of the previous patches, they happened automatically when you logged on. Players really could not refuse the patch if they wanted to play online. I know that I had some trouble getting the FP to work on Windows Vista. If others did also, they might have just quit trying to use the FP.

Is there a way the FP could be imposed upon the online gamers just as previous patches were? If not, I don't believe that enough players will voluntarily pick the FP for it to gain the critical mass needed for near universal adoption.

Cheers.

"Any hussar who isn't dead by thirty is goldbricking." General Lasalle
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

i'm lucky i guess, i am pr 24 so i fall into the catagory that uses it. I know what you mean though, it does take slightly more time to find a 1 vs 1 game now. I find it takes about 1 minute on TAD 1.01a, and 3 or 4 minutes to get a 1 vs 1 on Fan patch 1.0.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

There are never any games, zero, at my level using the FP. :(

I just make the decision when I boot up TAD, do I feel like playing rated (1.01) or clan games (FP). I have tried to host 1v1's at my level with the FP to encourage other newbs to use it, the only one who ever enters my games are clan members! :-P

This method works for me, although there is a lot of rebooting of TAD involved...
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
RussianNoobster
Private
Private

Post by RussianNoobster »

I think the fan patch is needed in rush and mabey dm (idk cuz i play dm on vanilla) and the eso patch is needed in NR and scenarios. Each patch has its place in the community and you need to look at each players point of view.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

now i'm now with scoop in a 2v2 with fp and i'm really doubting if we are going to have a game lol....

the fanpatch is useless for dm because it doesn't balance it. I have never been defeaten in dm by japan.

the fp is for supr
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

DM needs no patch, since no one plays it and vanilla DM is fun enough to play with. Treaty players are making they're own ''patches'' too. I don't understand why 1.01a is needed for scenarios.
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

yeah i have read the changes of those treaty patches ;) . They had something with mercs lol. O yeah and according to rumours nobody use it ;) .

I just started with supr and i have noticed that from the moment you have guys above pr 20 (with no fp) you see a lot of japan... Says enough.. :?

TAD dm doesn't need a patch because the whole dm community is on vanilla.