India
10%
Aztec
14%

Total votes: 21

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: What is the hardest civ to play in 1v1?

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""36drew""]Sometimes the strength of a civ doesn't matter if they don't mesh with your style.[/quote]

The most truthful statement in this thread.

I disagree that India is difficult. With elephants, the military micro is much easier than a typical civ. I remember someone saying in a team game "even a 2 year old could micro a group of elephants" (that may not have been the exact quote on teamspeak, but you get the idea). With India, just don't play vs. russia...
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

japan is probably the easiest to play 1v1 i think.. you villagers are near un-raidable > cherry orchards. plus you have those ashi.. >_>
Your eco is terribly slow and it is extremely hard to fence back a well executed rush.
Aztec, on the other hand, maybe be more difficult to play at a very high level, but I really don't think it is very difficult to either boom with them in something like a large team game, and their rush isn't very difficult to be successful with either. Just because they are very different from other civs doesn't necessarily mean they are more difficult then all other civs.
I completely agree. In lower levels aztec rush is easy and very efficient. Strangely, the firepit allows you to do whatever you want - if you want to boom, you boom, if you want to attack, you can use fertility dance to get units fast and then war dance to turn the side of the battle.

Ports are easier to play because FFing for tc boom is easier than deciding what to do vs every different civ, which means even though they are weak you can use them to the max with no problems. Even turtle to FI isn't that hard to pull out. The problem in ports is that their strats are just weak in comparison to other civs ^^
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Port units also tend to be more difficult to be effective -- Dragoons, Cassadores, Organ Guns, etc.

But I agree with you.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]
Your eco is terribly slow and it is extremely hard to fence back a well executed rush.
[/quote]

i agree with the eco being slow but i completely disagree and with the point that it is hard to fence back a well executed rush, grab the 600 wood shipment and place shrines in "fence" around your base, it works alot better than you might think, especially w/ TC fire and ashi / yumi present
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Yes but losing shrines hurts more than losing houses because they're more expensive and they give you the small res trickle. Also cherry orchards aren't effective enough to give you the food you need for the expensive yumis and ashis, although it may be me too I'm not good at turtling.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Ports, by far. Whenever I win with Ports, I have to sit back and say "Wow, I really outplayed that guy. What a great game." I never clearly win with the Ports. Every single time I have to vastly outplay them every step of the way just to survive. Winning is a whole different challenge.
Groovy.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Navarone_Guy""]Ports, by far. Whenever I win with Ports, I have to sit back and say "Wow, I really outplayed that guy. What a great game." I never clearly win with the Ports. Every single time I have to vastly outplay them every step of the way just to survive. Winning is a whole different challenge.[/quote]

It's because that's not your play style, imo. You're an aggressive - always pushing forward style player (not that you didn't already know that). Ports is a booming-turtle civ. However, ports do have a pretty nasty pike/x-bow "rush" that is quite devastating if your opponent is expecting an FF..

Signing off -
Captain Obvious.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well, the Ports are probably one of the civs with the most bad matchups (and the fewest good matchups) so it makes sense that they are very difficult to win with.

They aren't, perhaps, the hardest to play with WELL. You just can't win sometimes even if you do play well.

I'd argue that the Brits are probably the hardest to play well. Although Ports are close.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Brits aren't hard to play at all. I've gone against some really noobish British players who completely kicked my ass. Their rush is good and their incredible eco keeps it going more powerfully than any other civ. All they need to do is spam lbows and hussars into your base and you're helpless.
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Brits don't have that many great matchups IMO.

I agree that their boom is strong and not even that hard to do. However, they don't have many bonuses or unique qualities to really capitalize on or get a leg-up over other civs besides their house thing, which helps them boom. They don't have many remarkable unit shipments or upgrade cards or w/e.

Brits seem like a simple civ but to be successful beyond 1st Lieutenant level is not all that easy, IMO. You can't just boom and spam units in every game / matchup, it just won't work.

Although when I think about it I might lean more towards India as being more difficult to use than Brits, but then I remember that they have the 10 / 10 rush and Howdahs etc which are specific elements of the civ which are not hard at all to use.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

well... that gren. card that the british have is really intense if you can get even ~5 grenadiers out, buildings get mowed down with that so it seems sort of like something to capitalize on to me :] (not to mention their LB's)

but.. im not convinced that japan has a weak eco at all. use the 200 starting wood to build consulate > ally w/ ports. send 300 wood as 1st shipment.. and yeah. thats a good way to start, although it does create some idle TC time its not really a problem.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Grens aren't all that great for anything besides a rush in team games tbh, unless you're NP and can pull it off in a 1v1.
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

Actually I'd say there's another reason Ports are the most difficult civ to master. Their two main units are cassadores and goons. Both units are horrendously fragile and even when micromanaged perfectly do they match their counterparts in effectiveness (cassies especially). You have to have incredible micro so that you make sure your guys don't get hit. If they do, you lose.
Groovy.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea, I already said as much a few posts ago. :P
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Actually I'd say there's another reason Ports are the most difficult civ to master. Their two main units are cassadores and goons. Both units are horrendously fragile and even when micromanaged perfectly do they match their counterparts in effectiveness (cassies especially). You have to have incredible micro so that you make sure your guys don't get hit. If they do, you lose.
All depends on style. Port army is way easier for me to use than the british one. I'd take caças over lbs any day. Blabla caças suck but with hit n run, in low numbers, they own RI. Plus the 6 caças from age up one-shot kill a vill :) I find port eco management easy too, you only have to set tcs making vills (sounds a bit stupid but other civs, like brit, have to do tons of things to have their eco going on)
Well, the Ports are probably one of the civs with the most bad matchups (and the fewest good matchups) so it makes sense that they are very difficult to win with.
+1
Brits aren't hard to play at all. I've gone against some really noobish British players who completely kicked my ***. Their rush is good and their incredible eco keeps it going more powerfully than any other civ. All they need to do is spam lbows and hussars into your base and you're helpless.
That's just because brit>ports. Otherwise go play brits and check how useless their army is - it only relies on spamming. Only after patch the combo musk/hus will be effective.