Notes to Nav (and anyone else wanting to improve)

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Notes to Nav (and anyone else wanting to improve)

Post by IndyBrit »

Thanks for the game. I learn a great deal each time we 1v1.

Some of the things I took away from the last game (others were probably too specific to the situation to be listed here). Maybe these will be of benefit to others:

1) Plans are simple to come by. A given plan is probably OK (unless its just plain wrong for the situation), the game is won or lost in the execution.
1A) know what your plan is and follow it, or at least intentionally stray from it according to the situation
2) Raid soft targets, avoid hard targets completely. (sounds easy but in practice it's not)
3) Observe your own bad habits objectively and purge them.
4) If you raid your opponents town, his army in the field will be less well managed (or completely immobile)
5) Think about the implications of the starting buildings on the map - preferably at an early stage when it's not so busy and you have time to think. This will often matter in the early mid-game and it's dumb to be surprised by them seven minutes into the game. :o

Hope these aren't too abstract and they help someone out.

Cheers,
Steve
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Re: Notes to Nav (and anyone else wanting to improve)

Post by Navarone_Guy »

That was a wicked turtle you pulled off there in our 1v1. :D

Good tips, though. Finding out how to improve is often the hard part. Doing it isn't so bad. Just lots and lots of practice.
Groovy.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Yeah, but you just flipped me over and it was Turtle Soup.

If I ever get another chance to put 15 muskets in your base, I'm hoping to do better than almost burn down one outpost and wait for your troops to show. :-P
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]
1) Plans are simple to come by. A given plan is probably OK (unless its just plain wrong for the situation), the game is won or lost in the execution.
1A) know what your plan is and follow it, or at least intentionally stray from it according to the situation
[/quote]

seems like each part of the game has a given set of actions until a certain point in which I either don't have as much experience on my end, or where I see my opponent do soemthign that leads me to change. The more I play, my reactions will be less and less thought out changes, and more like automatic reactions like making vills when the game starts.

if i get the time, i hope to set up graphs and tables for each civs capabilities of resource production, military production possibilities, shown as maximums given for each period of time. having that kind of knowledge can at least help me set up a good understanding to make better decisions.
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Cyclohexane and I both have pretty extensive Excel experience. If you get some basic research together (like all the decks of the civs, stuff like that) I for one would be happy to help you get graphs cranked out.