PATCH NOTES RELEASED!!!

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Tatltael
Major
Major

Re: PATCH NOTES RELEASED!!!

Post by Tatltael »

i just thought of something, since the warpriests w/ aztecs take 25% less time to get, would towndance / improved walls become a viable laming strat?
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I kinda doubt it. Seems like it would be easy enough to just go to Fortress and get cannons.

Defensive booming will probably be a viable strategy for Aztecs though (even more so than it is now), but not to a "lame" extent.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Would work better with iro.
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""Tatltael""]i just thought of something, since the warpriests w/ aztecs take 25% less time to get, would towndance / improved walls become a viable laming strat?[/quote]

I don't think so. Aztecs have to chase their resources all over the map and there's too many other tasks those 10 wp's can do without taking up a valuable card slot. The loss of colonial JPK's is yet another factor.

Mac
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

The other big problem with town dance is that the warpriests are so exposed. You can get all the overkill you could ever hope for from the TC but when your opponent is in your base, one good shot each 3 seconds is just not enough. And then your warpriests die. If only warpriests could do their thing in a temple...

Mac
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Well, the vulnerability of the priests is the caveat to their dance in the first place. They have to be vulnerable to attack when they're dancing, or else it wouldn't be counterable.

I mean, you can always garrison them like villagers anyway. Plus they have fairly decent fighting skills in Age 2 and beyond, at least for basic defense against small groups of cavalry.
Last edited by KingKaramazov on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

well yeah i didnt mean lame lame like disciples or hand mortars, but i think a town center with well over 15000 hitpoints in colonial is definitely a valuable asset.. think of it like bait :D

i dont think the 3 wp card would be necessary, seeing as the -25% train time for the wp dance

also i dont think the loss of the jpk's will be too horrifying, the maces can deal with HI better than before and the coyotes will be able to rip on LI, and the pumas will still be good par usual
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

The Aztecs will be strong even in Age 3 and beyond I think, you'll just need to use some good planning and strategy to catch your opponent off guard with stealthed / flanking coyotes and JPKs.

No longer can you do BB rushes with 4+5 jags and 10+9 mace and own some people, nor can you just mass eagles in Fort and kill villagers in droves. No more auto-winning on maps with lots of water, either (though the Aztecs will still be quite strong on water IMO).

In return you get much better coyotes (with better pathing than any other cav unit really), JPKs that eat HI alive, and much improved maces. Plus, eagles will still eat cavalry alive, and so will Pumas.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

meh i never really liked the jpk + 4+5 jag &19 mace rush anyways, it was notorious for losing to european civs with CM and the sense to make me run around their base, plus it would always leave a nasty dent in my early eco, i usually take the 10 mace >6 puma >9 mace with constant coyote spam route.. in my experience its alot more effective than the all out BBR

still, if it makes it to 9 minutes the BBR usually tips the game in my favor, but i dont think that will be relevant now, seeing as the mace are going to own things like (god damn janns) and the coyotes are going to wreak havoc on any and all LI

as heart warming as the soon to be ERK rush "was," stealth coyotes and jpk's are so much more amusing to watch in fortress

did the new patch tear @ the 4 tlaloc in fortress ?
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""Tatltael""]meh i never really liked the jpk + 4+5 jag &19 mace rush anyways, it was notorious for losing to european civs with CM and the sense to make me run around their base, plus it would always leave a nasty dent in my early eco, i usually take the 10 mace >6 puma >9 mace with constant coyote spam route.. in my experience its alot more effective than the all out BBR

still, if it makes it to 9 minutes the BBR usually tips the game in my favor, but i dont think that will be relevant now, seeing as the mace are going to own things like (god damn janns) and the coyotes are going to wreak havoc on any and all LI

as heart warming as the soon to be ERK rush "was," stealth coyotes and jpk's are so much more amusing to watch in fortress

did the new patch tear @ the 4 tlaloc in fortress ?[/quote]

I mentioned JPK's in the context of a "turtle strat" using town dance. I don't think the BBR was a major strat in TAD or patched TWC since ES boosted it's counters. I don't think the tluloc button was changed at all. Offshore Support's range was halved but adds a 25% boost vs other ships and yet still comes in age 2 for Aztecs. So I guess we'll still be hearing about that!

Mac
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I believe they put the Tlaloc button in Age 3, and made Offshore Support give a lot less range. So Tlalocs still own on water but they won't level your whole town from a screen away, and they won't come in Age 2, both of which were absolutely preposterous.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Aztec Tlaloc changes....

Water Dance’s efficiency decreased by 20%.

Cipactli Worship Big Button Tech (Tlaloc Big Button) Now unavailable until Fortress Age (up from Colonial Age).

Offshore Support
Effect decreased to provide +5 range (down from +10 range).
Effect added to provide 20% bonus to damage to all War Ships.

Another Aztec thing, they removed the 3X XP, nerfed it back to 2X, but they changed the Fire Pit Big Button that doubles the WC XP. Used to be 500W/500G, now it will be 50W 50F 50G. 4X XP for 150 resources...

All of my favorite civs have been really affected by this. Port, India, Aztec. With an added interest in Ottomans. Perhaps I'll be playing more again.
Macabee
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Macabee »

[quote=""RascalJones""]

Another Aztec thing, they removed the 3X XP, nerfed it back to 2X, but they changed the Fire Pit Big Button that doubles the WC XP. Used to be 500W/500G, now it will be 50W 50F 50G. 4X XP for 150 resources...

[/quote]

Actually the founder tech will make WC aura 3X.

Mac
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

Mac, I thought you start with 2x and the founder tech doubles that. No?
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

it's from x2 --> x3
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle