SC2 vs AoE 3

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

Kildeer
Conscript
Conscript

SC2 vs AoE 3

Post by Kildeer »

I'm just curious to see what you guys think of the games if you compare them to eachother cause I've played both for some time and I must say they both appeal on some level. Don't take into account that their genres are different, I'm talking gameplay. :)

I'm a micro kind of guy, don't like doing macro that much and I think micro was easier to do in AoE. In SC2 the units are so big and they really differ in size to one another, also there's less units on the screen usually. I really liked to micro 60 ashigarus or something - don't feel I can do that the same way in SC2.

What is cool about SC though is that you get military slightly faster than in AoE most of the time so you don't have to play 15 minutes before some action happens.

I think AoE is more or less dead by now which is a shame. what do you guys think?
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: SC2 vs AoE 3

Post by etrips888 »

I haven't played SC2 in a while, but I remember I missed the macro side of AOE. Always felt that just gathering two res in SC2 was lacking after playing AOE again
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

we already had a topic like this which got closed
Kildeer
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Kildeer »

Ah found it. :)
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

Definitely loved aoe, but it took too long to get games, and lag was more of a problem. Seems like countering is a little less important than massing in sc2 imho.
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Kildeer ur right, the two games in question are in fact 2 very diferent genres although both are RTS games. Looking at ur post merely from a gameplay pov Id say that SC2 is simply brutal! Its speed is super fast, right from the get go. Yes ud have "action" with a treasure gaurdian pretty much immediatly in AoE and although treasures could easily give some1 the upper hand, I find that the probe fights in SC2 are truly unforgiving (cannon cheese comes 2 mind here). The game is so fast that I found myself begging for things 2 b faster in AoE the last time I played it. "real" fighting can also occur as quick as 4 mins into the game, and that makes every second count in my book.

What Ive also found in SC2 is that it clearly benifits the agressor (in large team games like 4vs4 - might not b so in 1v1´s). In AoE if u didnt rush then things could b decided in mid or even late game. In SC2 if u dont rush u get rushed. Simple! And the great majority of times the more agressive team wins. AoE seems so much more forgiving in comparison.

One thing that I miss from AoE is the Forward Base notion. It simply doesnt happen in SC2 (again Im always talking about 4v4´s). Even building on ground that ur team has conquered doesnt happen in SC2. In AoE we´d build new military buildings in bases conquered, tower it up and control mineral/gold lines. I guess the maps simply dont allow for it 2 happen and since all protoss really needs is a simple pylon 2 do so makes it kinda silly really.

The macro side of AoE is so much more complex in my mind. There are ZERO upgrades for ur eco in Sc2. The only thing u can do 2 out macro ur opponent is 2 build more probes etc, and even then ur so limited with the whole 2/3 dudes per mineral thing. The fact that everything depends on merely 2 types of colectables is also a big downside 2 the macro aspect of SC2. The fact that SC2 is clearly so much less economical also contributes for it 2 pivot towards fast agressive military gameplay.

Micro. I have 2 say that I personally barely micro in SC2. I would micro alot more in AoE than in SC2. I guess its caused by the counter system in AoE being so much more complex. In my experience SC2 benifits numbers more than individual commands. Large armies devour pretty much everything in SC2. In AoE, especially with the last few patches, 2-3 uhlans would simply pwn 20 strelets. In SC2 20 of anything will eat 2-3 of the same tier class.

Ive been playing this game ALOT, as most know. I have 2 say, and admit, I was "forced" into playing it. BUT I am having so much fun playing it. It really is an awesome game. I really miss AoE. I miss muskets and uhlans. U cant compare a battle field where cavalry and falconets stir up the ground with laser shooting thingies (what some dutchies call V rays :P ) killing flying aliens on maps called Toxic slums. Often I think about clicking my AoE patch loader. But then the aweful memories of ESO pop up and quickly I set my nostalgia aside.

AoE is, in my very humble and personal opinion, still the BETTER game. Real life economical complexity mixed with immense historical military figures on geographical locations that we can actually relate 2 is a killer combo. Pity how a great product that lacks serious support can b set aside by a company that has been making games for a whopping twenty years now, namely Blizzard.

Above all I am truly happy and proud of the very mature way this clan has embraced SC2. We have NOT given up on AoE. This clan, if nothing else, is what keeps AoE alive, and its thanks 2 alot of our more hard-core fundamentalists that we will always remain an AoE clan.

If any1 ever wants 2 play a game on ESO with me and actually has enough people online 2 get that game going than I will always side with u guys!

out
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Since college gave back some of my spare time again (I'm not in the 'period-ending-and-test-weeks' anymore), I try to be more active on AoE. Henrique you should really just patch AoE and come play with the community again :D
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

I think im online at aoe3 3 hours a day, do if you pop on during 4-8 pm gmt + 1 chances are pretty big you'll find me.

Also, I agree with lazy for the full 100%
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.
Kildeer
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Kildeer »

I agree with everything you said LaZy, also nothing is ever going to beat muskets firing and cannons throwing villagers to all sides, haha love that. :)

You're quite right with the counter vs mass in SC, micro isn't that important in this game and a lot of other people on big SC forums also state that macro is everything, so I guess there's something to it.

What I don't like so much about SC is that you basically have to win on 1 base within the first 10 minutes or else you'll have to expand, whereas in AoE you'd just stay in the same place and spam farms for food and gold.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

^^ great post there tuga. I agree 100%.

The only thing I'll say about SC2 vs AOE is that I prefer the interfaces for game matching in SC2 and the ranking system. There is also a LOT less trash talking and immature behavior in SC2.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""LaZy""]
If any1 ever wants 2 play a game on ESO with me and actually has enough people online 2 get that game going than I will always side with u guys!

out[/quote]

i am unemployed as of monday , should get on aoe3 again :)
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Hmmm this is making me feel an urge to play aoe3 again..... looks like tomorrow I will have to pop on for a game again.