48%

Total votes: 29

lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

The better game

Post by lordandcount »

Which game is better and why?
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: The better game

Post by lordandcount »

I like aoe3 more, cuz of cards and possiblity to train 5 units at same time, also I have the idea that rushes are more easily countered (don't know or it's a good thing, although for my play style it's good) and the counter system works better for me. Starcraft is too much micro battle for me and most of the time at my level if you loose a battle you loose the game, that was less in aoe3.
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I like the gameplay of SC2 WAY more, but it should be better since AOE is so old nowadays. There is no question that I enjoyed the community component of the Age series a lot more though. I don't feel at all connected to the community in Sc2 like I did in age.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

aoe all the way , I dont like future style games like sc2.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""36drew""]I like the gameplay of SC2 WAY more, but it should be better since AOE is so old nowadays. There is no question that I enjoyed the community component of the Age series a lot more though. I don't feel at all connected to the community in Sc2 like I did in age.[/quote]

Completely agree here. AOE may be dated now, but it still remains a far better community and multi-player/team/clan experience than SC2. Having said that, SC2 detail and gameplay is very much the RTS of here and now, which it was designed to be, and succeeds very well at it. Graphicly, SC2 is supurb for an RTS game, and nothing in the forseeable future can compete with it.
There are still a few issues with the game itself regarding balance, but all seriously contending RTS games will always be the same. The biggest issue I feel could be easily resolved: Clan implimentation, and coss-region gaming.
When they deal with this, the game will be complete IMO.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

sc2 all the way. goodbye to map screws , decks , F2J , OOS , HC leveling , blah blah blah

blizzard's support system <3

i was hostile to sc2 before release due to changes made from sc1's style of play but after watching dozens of beta streams and playing it i couldn't stop myself from playing. due to RL i havent been able to play much at all lately but as soon as i have the free time to spam games i'll be sure toput my 1.8 month long stockpile of bonus pool points to use
- Dan
Moose_
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Moose_ »

I say SC2 because the game is quicker to get going at the start and always feels more tense to me. I also like the unit diversity. The other main reason is the large competitive community which I find really interesting.

I enjoyed playing AoE3 but I always preferred AoC and knew that if another good RTS came along (like SC2) I would have no problem moving on.

I do prefer PR to blizzards ranking system though since I have no idea how good I am compared to anyone else. Although I also prefer ELO to PR which is another reason AoC was cool since it had ELO in game.
Valckrie
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Valckrie »

Sc2 community has yet to develop, since they dont have chat channels at all right now. But when they do introduce it with their next big patch around December or so, I'm confident the community will grow since there are already many big forums around, teamliquid being the most active. I think some of the others like sc2armoury are more friendly since there are less players there, and the standard is much lower than TL.
GrEaTeR_KnArLoC
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by GrEaTeR_KnArLoC »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""][quote=""36drew""]I like the gameplay of SC2 WAY more, but it should be better since AOE is so old nowadays. There is no question that I enjoyed the community component of the Age series a lot more though. I don't feel at all connected to the community in Sc2 like I did in age.[/quote]

Completely agree here. AOE may be dated now, but it still remains a far better community and multi-player/team/clan experience than SC2. Having said that, SC2 detail and gameplay is very much the RTS of here and now, which it was designed to be, and succeeds very well at it. Graphicly, SC2 is supurb for an RTS game, and nothing in the forseeable future can compete with it.
There are still a few issues with the game itself regarding balance, but all seriously contending RTS games will always be the same. The biggest issue I feel could be easily resolved:Clan implimentation, and coss-region gaming.
When they deal with this, the game will be complete IMO.[/quote]

This.

Sorry AoE III, your 3v3 randoms were really fun with me pwning noobs with OP eco, but sc2 is overall a better game, especially balance wise.

Once the clan/chat/cross region support actually arrive, it will push sc2 ahead even more.
Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

AOE3. No doubt.
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Well, it's a hard choice, although I think AOE was in my opinion the best game. What I really miss at SCII is the diversity of the game. 3 Races aren't enough for me, I really liked the 12 countries at AOE. I loved the card-system like in AOE as well.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

I really enjoy how competitive SC2 is, and how it still feels so fresh due to how new it is, but I feel AOE3 had more diversity which I miss a lot.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Aoe3 all the way! Spaceships and sci-fi suck
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Have to go AOE here, though I have yet to play Star Craft 2, played the first one once. Still I like the historical aspect of Age of Empires, Also Age of Empires has a ton of different civs and card to make it very customizable, Star Craft has only 3 different civs.

jerom
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by jerom »

Like the famous dutch football player Johan Cruijf once said, "Elk voordeel heb z'n nadeel" which would be translated to "every good thing also brings a bad thing".

What I actually want to point out, is that this is exactly the case when you are comparing AoE to SC2. AoE has some things that are better, and the other way around.

IMO the gameplay of Starcraft is just slightly better, especially the fact that a game tends to skip the boring age 1 part of AoE and moves on to the action almost instantly.

However, the micro in the battles is much more fun when playing AoE, I feel that micro is rarely a real determinating factor in Starcraft 2, which I really dislike. Also, because there is more micro in AoE, you can still win a game after you have made a (big) mistake, because you can micro like god on steroids and own the other player battle after battle

The balance in Starcraft 2 is just way better than in AoE, because the game is much better supported by Blizzard in terms of balance, but also because there are a lot less civs. In AoE I often have the feeling that I lose because the MU is favoring my opponent, which is a real pain in the ***. However with so few civs, games tend to look like eachother more and more, where the games in AoE where 99% different every time.

Also, the Starcraft 2 community is a lot bigger, which allows you to get a game really quickly. This however makes the game much more unpersonal. The AoE community was so small, that you'd play people more than once, even though you didn't ever chat to them nor did you invite them to a game. This way it is and has been a lot easier to make friends, even without a clan. In Starcraft 2 this is definitely something I miss and can't really be fixed, unless suddently almost everyone stops playing Starcraft 2.

Then you have the support. The support of Blizzard is just awesome, they really listen to the community and also do whatever they can to fullfill our wishes. This is definitely something AoE can't tip. However AoE has the clan system and the chat browsers, which makes playing AoE much more fun in terms of social communication. Starcraft 2 has still the possibility to make clans, chatbrowsers and the wanted intercontinetal play available, which can be expected to happen in the upcoming year, given the great support of blizzard.

As last, and actually the least important, their ranking systems are very different. The AoE pr system and the ELO system display the rankings much and much better than the division system of starcraft 2. The pr system is the cause of a lot of noobbashing, pointtrading and drop tricking though, which can suck, however it's easy to solve by just playing for fun and ignoring the times that you get droptricked.

To now find out which game you like better, you must determine which pros of the games you would choose for and which pros have the biggest value in your eyes, and then one of these to games would come out as the best, in your opinion.

For me it's definitely Age of Empires. The friendly community is great and I have made a lot of friends there. Without AoE and N3O I prolly wouldn't like Starcraft 2 as much as I do now. So my vote goes to AoE :D
Last edited by jerom on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soccerman771 wrote:Just make sure you do keep some blood in your alcohol system, ok.