Strategy and Replay Discussion, please state the matchup in the thread title

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

ZvZ Help

Post by deaconferal »

Tonight I played two back to back mirrors with Zerg and, losing both, I was wondering if anyone has any advice for it. It seems like a micro fest with Banelings and Zerglings every single time, and it is all over so fast. Is there any other viable starts or strats to use in this MU? If it must be that way, what is the optimal time to put up a pool? My most recent game I went 12 or 13 pool and he was much faster to get lings. Next time I will probably try 10 pool and see how that works out.
Last edited by deaconferal on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: ZvZ Help

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

The best build atm is i think 13 or 14 gas 14 pool, then 2 drones and an overlord. When the pool finishes upgrade the zergling speed asap and make a queen and start making zerglings.
After 3 sets of zerglings wait a bit to get 150 minerals and 50 gas and then put up a baneling nest. After that just mass lings and banelings and micro like hell.
Try to get as many banelings as you can into your opponents mineral line. :P
Also theres another build order that beats that baneling bust thing, but is pretty hard to execute right, and it wont work on maps maps which have the natural a bit far away from you ramp or if the map has a large ramp leading to your base.
The goal of this BO is to get two queens up super fast to block off your ramp so when banelings come they cant do a thing.
First off you should scout pretty early like 9 supply or so cause this build loses against a fast zergling cheese. (If you see your opponent making pool early you should stop drones and make a pool yourself.) If his not doing an early pool make 14 hatch 13 pool then three drones and an overlord. After you pool finishes make a queen and 3 sets of zerglings. Then make 2nd queen from your natural asap when the hatch finishes and make two spine crawlers close to your ramp. After that you should add gas or two and make roach warren and get like 6 or so roaches and push a bit.
After you get your roaches up its good o get an evo chamber for upgrades and spore crawlers cause most of the zergs go limg muta in ZvZ and ofc you should at some point tech to lair.
This build opens up for a MASS QUEEN PLAY but you can also transition into hydras and speed roaches.
Hope this helps :)
Edit: I can put up some reps if you want. ;)