Strategy and Replay Discussion, please state the matchup in the thread title

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

SC2 noob school

Post by Comadevil »

Since we had also with AOE always basic questions, what do i really need to do, I found some videos, which may help real rts beginners. U can find also on the site vods concerning a single unit (right now: void ray, overlord), which i didn't put here

Youtube Channel SC2NoobSchool

Fundamentals Tutorial Part 1: Macro - SC2 Noob School

[youtube]Fundamentals Tutorial Part 2: Scouting - SC2 Noob School[/youtube]

[youtube]Fundamentals Tutorial Part 3: Micro - SC2 Noob School[/youtube]

[youtube]Fundamentals Tutorial Part 3.5: Micro - SC2 Noob School[/youtube]

[youtube]Fundamentals Tutorial Part 4: Build Orders/Timing - SC2 Noob School[/youtube]

[youtube]Fundamentals Tutorial Part 4.5: Build Orders/Timing - SC2 Noob School[/youtube]

[youtube]Expansion Timing Part 1 - Strategy - SC2 Noob School[/youtube]

[youtube]Expansion Timing Part 2 - Strategy - SC2 Noob School[/youtube]
Last edited by Comadevil on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bart331
Major
Major

Re: SC2 noob school

Post by Bart331 »

good post !, watched them all xD
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Nice one, SCII doesn't seem so foreign to me as it once did, but I must be making so many basic mistakes without even realizing it I really need something like this.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i hate things like this, just play the game yourself ffs :-P
Roger_The_Rogue
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by Roger_The_Rogue »

Blast - no you have made me hungrier for SC2. :P

Couldn't play beta cos of huge download. :(
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Well not everyone has the time to put in the hours upon hours it takes to pick up things like this and besides if you ever wanna be any good you have to do more than just play the game. A fool learns from his own mistakes, A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

Well said Adder, I totally agree with you.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Well. If you come from an RTS background, a lot of this stuff should be common sense. There is quite a bit of similarity with AOE 3 and SC 2.

The creator of these clips is targeting bronze, silver, and gold players I believe.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""36drew""]Well. If you come from an RTS background, a lot of this stuff should be common sense. There is quite a bit of similarity with AOE 3 and SC 2.

The creator of these clips is targeting bronze, silver, and gold players I believe.[/quote]

i disagree with adder and agree with this. we are not newbies people, we already played aoe3 quite a bit.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""36drew""]Well. If you come from an RTS background, a lot of this stuff should be common sense. There is quite a bit of similarity with AOE 3 and SC 2.

The creator of these clips is targeting bronze, silver, and gold players I believe.[/quote]

i disagree with adder and agree with this. we are not newbies people, we already played aoe3 quite a bit.[/quote]

The concept of the game is common sense, eg: gather resources, make buildings when you need them in the order you need them, make units according to what units you need.

However, the problem with transition between aoe and sc2 may be the same for many as it is for me. aoe is logical, you make a house to give you pop space, you make a barracks or a stable for infantry or cav, you make bowmen or skirm for range, musk or jans for meele etc etc.
So, go over to sc2.... what do I make for pop space? A house? no. What do I make for units? And what building makes what units? More importantly what does each unit do? What upgrades do I need to get? And where do I get them?

The big difference is, for me, it is like learning aoe all over again, except harder because you cannot relate to the buildings or units as they are fictional not historical. All the names of stuff are made up so it's like learning a different langauge.

So, to drew.... yes, some things are similar. And to arryn, having played aoe does not mean you are not an sc2 newbie and that you should automaticaly pick it up and be able to play it.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

uhm why not? play a couple of games and you will see what each building deoes, where the techs are etc.
took me 15+ games to get things straight, i just see no point in watching these kind of vids, just play and find it out yourself, it's not rocket science and it is WAY more fun when you find it out yourself :-)

if people wanna look everything up beforehand, i find this stuff here way better:
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/game/guide/whats-sc2

if you wanna see what terran got:
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/game/race/terran/

also tells you in what way the units should be used, etc.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

best way to learn sc or any rts genre game is to play thru single player to get the feel of things. recommended instead of jumping straight into online multiplayer : look @ what happened to me :*( *tad*

ppl who have played sc1 before hand gennerally know whats what and its for them that the beta was introduced and the patching that followed was the result
- Dan
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

The fundamentals, which i posted here, are for real rts noobs like we have them from time to time. And always we get the question: What should i do?
We tell them: Building villagers (or whatever) all the time. Here are shown most basic elements in a more extensive way than always our usually three or four sentences post could do, also a bit SC2 specific things but sometimes u cannot avoid them to show the more general things

Only the expansion timing is here SC2 specific, this was quite interesting(at least for me)
What thee vods DON'T DO: This vids aren't about showing which units/buildings belong to SC2 and what to do with them though u get here and there a bit of information

So please don't tell/discuss things about the vods which aren't really shown there. E.g. the tech trees of the civs aren't shown there at all. For such things and how to use the units u can read in the wiki of Teamliquid to get a basic concept about the races
Only his later (two unit )vods which i didn't embed show unit specific things about certain units but also a few tricks how to get things done.

Of course playing is the best thing to do to learn things but even if those fundamentals are missing, fun can be fast over though the leagues seem to be a good thing to get the right opponent
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

I still dont know every unit inside out, but there are some tiny differences between AOE3 and SC2 that can be learned from these vids, like for example the saturation point of a base, it makes no senses to have more then 24 drones on one base for your income.
HeJurmhoanni
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by HeJurmhoanni »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]best way to learn sc or any rts genre game is to play thru single player to get the feel of things. recommended instead of jumping straight into online multiplayer. [/quote]

StarCraft2 even has this "challenge mode" which will help the newer players to understand the game and to learn useful skills for multiplayer.