SC 2 Release Date Announced - July 27, 2010

General Discussion about StarCraft 2

Moderators: Global Moderator, SC2 moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

SC 2 Release Date Announced - July 27, 2010

Post by 36drew »

StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM) in Stores Starting July 27, 2010

IRVINE, Calif., May 03, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. announced today that its highly anticipated real-time strategy game, StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM), will arrive in stores throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Mexico, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau starting on July 27, 2010. Players will also be able to purchase StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty directly from Blizzard Entertainment shortly after the retail launch.

"We've been looking forward to revisiting the StarCraft universe for many years, and we're excited that the time for that is almost here," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "Thanks to our beta testers, we're making great progress on the final stages of development, and we'll be ready to welcome players all over the world to StarCraft II and the new Battle.net(R) in just a few months."

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is the sequel to Blizzard Entertainment's 1998 hit StarCraft, which has been hailed by players and critics worldwide as one of the top real-time strategy games of all time. Sporting a vibrant 3D-graphics engine, StarCraft II will once again center on the clash between the protoss, terrans, and zerg, with each side deploying legions of veteran, upgraded, and new unit types. Unparalleled online play for StarCraft II will be available through a new version of Battle.net, Blizzard Entertainment's world-renowned gaming service. Battle.net has been redesigned from the ground up to be the premier online gaming destination for Blizzard gamers, with several enhancements and new features, such as voice communication, cloud file storage, leagues and ladders, achievements, stat-tracking, and more.

The solo campaign for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will continue the epic saga where it left off in StarCraft: Brood War(R). The story line chronicles the exploits of marshal-turned-rebel-leader Jim Raynor and features both familiar faces and new heroes. Players will be able to tailor the experience, choosing their own mission path and selecting technology and research upgrades to suit their playing style throughout the 29-mission campaign. Several challenge-mode mini-games will also be included, with focused goals designed to ease players into the basics of multiplayer strategies.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SC 2 Release Date Announced - July 27, 2010

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

what the heck....
this is terrible news :-(
why not 1st july.. woulda been best date but nooo.. end of july meaning a bit less than 3 months
well longer beta then^^
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

this sucks have to wait so long for this game, meanwhile all beta testers will be pro on release :(
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

This means I'll have plenty of time to learn how to be a noob or even the main concepts of the game.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
DutchNvG
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by DutchNvG »

Thanks for posting Adam. As Jarrod said, plenty of time to learn the game on the Single Player :D
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Just pre-order and you get a free beta anyway. Pretty much anyone can get a beta if they want.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Is it safe to say a lot of clan members will be continuing with this game?
Is it likely to be completely dominated by ridiculously OP gamers? The thing I liked about AoE was that I didn't play it THAT much and I actually had a reasonable chance and even almost beat Mayh3m once, and frequently outsmarted the best in 2v2s (top 20 players). I just got the impression trying to get competetive at SC2 without having a hell of a lot of time to commit was a lost cause.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

nobody forces you to be competetive or?^^
no matter what level you are actually, you will always find thousands of players in the same league as you. and i really do love the beta's population, 33 000 people on at peak time.
i agree that the skill level of aoe is pretty low, i know lots of average guys who beat top players way more often than they "should"

biggest skills you'll find in sc:bw, then in wc3, then in counter strike 1.6 actually.
all other games are not that competitive.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]nobody forces you to be competetive or?^^
no matter what level you are actually, you will always find thousands of players in the same league as you. and i really do love the beta's population, 33 000 people on at peak time.
i agree that the skill level of aoe is pretty low, i know lots of average guys who beat top players way more often than they "should"

biggest skills you'll find in sc:bw, then in wc3, then in counter strike 1.6 actually.
all other games are not that competitive.[/quote]
Haha I think that's a bit of a biased list Aaryn :P I've played both CS:1.6 and CS:Source and I am 'high skilled' in CSS and can assure you that it's a very competitive game, equally so as 1.6 but certain people are resistant to change...

Competitive play is what I think makes it fun. It's a good feeling knowing you're on the way to catching up to the likes of Mayh3m, I'm not sure I'd be too attracted to something where it's literally a game of rock paper scissors + insane hotkey macros, not sure if that's what AoE should be but it doesn't feel the same to me. AoE has more lively units? History/fantasy does tend to intrigue me more than sci-fi though.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""Cammel""]
Haha I think that's a bit of a biased list Aaryn :P I've played both CS:1.6 and CS:Source and I am 'high skilled' in CSS and can assure you that it's a very competitive game, equally so as 1.6 but certain people are resistant to change...

Competitive play is what I think makes it fun. It's a good feeling knowing you're on the way to catching up to the likes of Mayh3m, I'm not sure I'd be too attracted to something where it's literally a game of rock paper scissors + insane hotkey macros, not sure if that's what AoE should be but it doesn't feel the same to me. AoE has more lively units? History/fantasy does tend to intrigue me more than sci-fi though.[/quote]

i tried to make the list as unbiased as possible and you hit me right in the face :-P
when i talk of cs 1.6 i mean years ago. the skill you need in cs is teamwork, and that only happens in proffessional clans. none of the pros are on public servers. sc:bw needs no explanation, wc3 is also highly micro-based, actually one could say it's 80% pure unit control.
those are also the games which are in WCG for more than 5 years.. notice something? :-P
i also like history fantasy more than sci-fi but it's the gameplay of an RTS which attracts me

that said, do you plan to come back to age for a short time only, as a stepping stone for sc2? or no sc2 at all
i am pretty sure you will be disappointed by the current state of activity in aoe3, especially for 2v2
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Aaryn you have quite some skills at sc2 propaganda ^^
luukje
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by luukje »

Could we put all SC2 info in a seperate forum?
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Aaryn you have quite some skills at sc2 propaganda ^^[/quote]

obrigado :-P i try my best
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""][quote=""Cammel""]

Competitive play is what I think makes it fun. It's a good feeling knowing you're on the way to catching up to the likes of Mayh3m, I'm not sure I'd be too attracted to something where it's literally a game of rock paper scissors + insane hotkey macros, not sure if that's what AoE should be but it doesn't feel the same to me. AoE has more lively units? History/fantasy does tend to intrigue me more than sci-fi though.[/quote]

i tried to make the list as unbiased as possible and you hit me right in the face :-P
when i talk of cs 1.6 i mean years ago. the skill you need in cs is teamwork, and that only happens in proffessional clans. none of the pros are on public servers. sc:bw needs no explanation, wc3 is also highly micro-based, actually one could say it's 80% pure unit control.
those are also the games which are in WCG for more than 5 years.. notice something? :-P
i also like history fantasy more than sci-fi but it's the gameplay of an RTS which attracts me

that said, do you plan to come back to age for a short time only, as a stepping stone for sc2? or no sc2 at all
i am pretty sure you will be disappointed by the current state of activity in aoe3, especially for 2v2[/quote]
WCG is largely about popularity dude.
Anyways I'm not sure yet. I'm trying to entice myself with SC2 and I'm not sure it's for me. Especially with Diablo III and Guild Wars II coming out I'm not sure.
Bart331
Major
Major

Post by Bart331 »

k, i preordered sc2 so will be online soon ^^