Germany advice

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Skull_Splinter
Conscript
Conscript

Germany advice

Post by Skull_Splinter »

In an attempt to get good at this game i have decided to use germans for all of my games. before i start watchin some recorded games i have a few questions.
1. Should i always go for age three and harrass with uhlans, or is germanys colonial good enough to stay in for a bit?
2. Should advanced mill ever be in my deck?
3. What politition to age with, from 1-2 and then for 2-3?
4. Early game should i ever make a stable or are the uhlans from card enough, always double rax?

Any other advice would be appreciated, who is hardest for germans to play against?
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Germany advice

Post by huGGy »

Germans are one of the more versatile Civs imo. Colonial Age is pretty good. Make sure to have 700 wood in all of your decks. That allows you to build a second rax or a rax and a stable and some houses. You will get popped pretty easy because of the free uhlans. You don't need advanced mills. From Age I to Age II use 500 food or 400 wood politician (500 food only for a really fast FF). From II to III you can use the fast age up politician or 6 skirms or 3 Doppels or 400 wood and a Caravel (extremly helpful when you are doing a Merc FF on a water map). All of them can be useful in different situations. You will see that different maps, different Civs you'll be facing and different strats need different Age ups. Also make sure to adapt to the situation you are in. If you stayed a while in Colonial age and need to get to Age III the fast age up politician is what you are looking for and 6 skirms dont make sense (i.e.).

Point 4 also depends on the strat you are using. Having a stable won't hurt ;). Also make sure that you use your uhlans for raiding. They are raiding-monsters.

I posted some german recs (used them in the last clan tourney as well) and some more or less innovative strats. Maybe they are helpful.

Have fun with the mighty germans :D
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Skull_Splinter""]In an attempt to get good at this game i have decided to use germans for all of my games. before i start watchin some recorded games i have a few questions.
1. Should i always go for age three and harrass with uhlans, or is germanys colonial good enough to stay in for a bit?
2. Should advanced mill ever be in my deck?
3. What politition to age with, from 1-2 and then for 2-3?
4. Early game should i ever make a stable or are the uhlans from card enough, always double rax?

Any other advice would be appreciated, who is hardest for germans to play against?[/quote]

1. They do very good in colonial, though each age iii card is sort of like a mini-army.
2. Never, not even treaty.
3. 400w (maybe 500f for FF as huggy said, but even then I still like 400w), for 2-3 I like fast age, especially if I have shipment in que.
4. There are many situations where an early stables is ideal, even with the free uhlans (very russia for example). You can add a rax in a bit later.

I have some german vods here to look at:
http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name=Vods
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

who is hardest for germans to play against?

hardest civs i can think of for germany would strong musketeer based civs , with india and japan on top of the list

india for their complete age 2 counter system unit selection along with uber muskets

japan for being extremely hard to raid = uhlan use diminished, yumi are just lol when en masse , ashi are way too good
- Dan
Zutazuta
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Zutazuta »

Germans do really well against Japan (as do all xbow civs). I would say the civ that does the best against Germans is French.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Depends on what they are doing. German FF for Cannons is also pretty strong against Japan. Vs India you know what is coming, so a double Rax Xbow/Pike mass should win the early fights. If you do the right decisions you'll win. French is tough and so are Ottos. Brits are ok to face. A more or less easy matchup are Dutch and Ports.
Skull_Splinter
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Skull_Splinter »

Thanks for the help, my internet was down last week so ill be playin here and there when i have time. Seems like alot of the recorded games on here the save game links are no longer valid, and with AS down, any one got any german recs? Im looking for a few 1v1 as well as some team ones.
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
softondemand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by softondemand »

All i want to say, when playing Germany there is a lot to remember. Germany is powerful nation, if used the right way. Before using Germany I would recommend watching few expert recordings before using it.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""softondemand""]All i want to say, when playing Germany there is a lot to remember. Germany is powerful nation, if used the right way. Before using Germany I would recommend watching few expert recordings before using it.[/quote]

why? :-P
learning by doing^^

Agesanctuary is down anyway
softondemand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by softondemand »

Well for new beginner it is hard to get the concept of Germany...i guess
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

ah this is true ye. sorry i was looking at it from the point of view for ppl who have been playing a while, my bad.
do you have xfire? i could send you alot of good games i kept. most i delete, but the special ones i keep
softondemand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by softondemand »

thx ^^no problem...
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

German mirror in the last N3O Tournament (FP 1.1a):

http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... pic&t=3834

Germans vs Japs on Siberia (FP 1.1a):

http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... pic&t=3886

Germans vs Iros on GP (win vs all out rush) (FP 1.1a):

http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... pic&t=4107

German FF vs French on Texas (RE):

http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... pic&t=3745

Not Expert Replays, but maybe informative and helpful.
softondemand
Corporal
Corporal

Post by softondemand »

thx for recording man!!^^
Skull_Splinter
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Skull_Splinter »

What does Germany do against dutch?

Everytime it seems they sit back build banks a few towers and some skirms until they have enough resources to mass skirms & ruyters. Rush them early and try to slow them down enough so that you can overwhelm them?