The Intentional Base Trade

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

The Intentional Base Trade

Post by 36drew »

Let me start off by saying that this is by far my favorite strategy. We all know that base trading sometimes happens when players build a proxy front base, and each player/team is able to raze a town center (or two or three or four).

But have you ever thought of doing it intentionally? It can work superb with a few civilizations under the right conditions. It's no news that the British are my civilization of choice, and they are one of the best civs to have on your team to pull this off.

Here is how it works:

Do a standard discovery agenda with a house, market, hunting dogs, extra manor, or whatever your crates allow you to do. Your explorer needs to find some hunts that are out of the way that you can gather. You are going to age up with the tower and place it hidden somewhere. Why you ask? Once your TC falls (though it's possible it might not) you can still receive shipments to a way point.

During the transition send one vill to a proxy location. Be careful when walking that you aren't scouted, and feel free to take the long way to avoid getting scouted. He can make a manor so that you have 2 villagers in that location to get a rax up faster. Meanwhile villagers you have sent to hidden locations will spam manors. Your TC need not be garrisoned since your villagers will be well out of harms way. Mass some pikes and attack! This goes well with spain in the form of an archaic rush, or can even be done as a gren rush. France couples nicely with this as do many other civs. As you are razing their TC you may find them running back or seiging your own. But since your eco is in a remote location and since you have a tower to still receive shipments, you should be fine. Especially since brits can continue to manor spam up to 20 free villagers.

Is this strategy practical all the time? No, of course not. But use it once in a while and you never know who you might upset. We recently orchestrated it in a 3v3 and took up two major generals and a brig. My team was myself and two other lieu colonels. In a 3v3, three civs with early siege = TC decimation.

Happy base trading! Enjoy your weekend!
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Intentional Base Trade

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

haha this sounds fun. i also thought about this but this is one of those things that can be best done if you play with partners/partner. same with sling, i am uneasy if i have to sling with someone i don't know, but much rather do it with someone who is my 2v2 mate or sth :-)
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I use to team with an old clan member and we had a really well worked "forced" base trade game plan. I can give details if interested.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I'd like to hear it. :)
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""StrokeyBlofeld""]I use to team with an old clan member and we had a really well worked "forced" base trade game plan. I can give details if interested.[/quote]

let me guess.. it involves british upped grens ;)