Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Fan patch suggestion

Post by IndyBrit »

Since there are rumors of another Fan Patch -

I was thinking it would be great if walls were tweaked where wall-spamming didn't take over every game that goes more than 20 minutes. After playing with some cost ideas, and some total wall-count limit ideas, I think the best option is simply to increase the build-time. Why can a villager in about 2 seconds put down a 3000-hp stone wall that can reject volley after volley of cannon fire? Put the per-segment build time up to 15 seconds (or so). At this point, while walls can be spammed, it's more of a strategic option because you have to think about it in advance, and 2 villies won't be able to throw down walls faster than the enemy can advance.

Summary - I suggest we increase the villie wall-building time to maybe 15 seconds if there is another fan patch.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Fan patch suggestion

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Sounds good to me, I wouldn't mind making them really slow to build - you should only be able to build a wall if you control the area 100%.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

I think a good add to the patch would be anyone who hasn't used their military units, or not made any in the first 10 mins should be automaticaly put back into discovery age and down to 10 vills..........
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Indy and strokey those are both great ideas. Walls should be weaker as well IMO. 1000 hp or 1500 hp at max IMO after all upgrades. I hate treaty games as they turn into spam-fests.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

I was thinking the other idea of how cool it would be if some civs, at some particular time throughout the game, regardless of map, could research a tech that could allow them 2 SWITCH decks. I mean how often have we played a deck, say rush deck, and decided, for whatever reason, 2 boom like mad instead of using those age II units n stuff.

out
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

Personally I think shrines HP should be lowered a bit. Might just be in my experience but shrines just seem to take forever to take down. By the time you get one down, he probably has already built two to replace em.

What would people think of a 6 coyote card in colonial? They weakened the aztec rush overall last patch, so could a boost in this card be justified? Might be a nice addition to the civ without making the rush way too strong again
scoop10
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by scoop10 »

lazy ur ideal rules that shoud be a option but if u switch deck then u need to docked in some way mb vills collect10% slower for 30 secs mb
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

walls should decay imho
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ yeah the whole wall thing is simply pathetic. I agree with Indy in the sense that if a building with 3k hp´s takes a good minute 2 build that a vill should take 4 ever 2 build them also. Mayb only allowing wall building as ur aging up, or from industrial onwards would b cool.

Having walls decay would seem reasonable and realistic imo. Walls being built within X amount of distance from TC would also seem acceptable. Same way we cant build a building 2 close 2 enemies TC walls should be built 2 ur own TC, since it is purely a defenseive structure.

Wall cost is fine imo

Walls kinda force the game 2 go into a sort of treaty game, regardless if its 1v1 or team. Yesterday I played several games that ended up becoming super stupid due 2 wall. Then agian I have 2 admit 99% of games that a Sioux playa is not on my side walls will spring 2 life all over my TC

out
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

not to forget oprichniks... walls are important
some 1v1 matchups are also hard to win without walls, some civs need walls to survive rushes (possible without walls also, nut very hard) , i think its good as it is
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

[quote=""generalbuschmann""]not to forget oprichniks... walls are important
some 1v1 matchups are also hard to win without walls, some civs need walls to survive rushes (possible without walls also, nut very hard) , i think its good as it is[/quote]

Yes, mass oprichniks are so annoying. (cough.. *adder* ahem... cough).
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""generalbuschmann""]not to forget oprichniks... walls are important
some 1v1 matchups are also hard to win without walls, some civs need walls to survive rushes (possible without walls also, nut very hard) , i think its good as it is[/quote]

I tend to agree with this. I need early walls in 1v1 when I'm against a lame TWC civ. True, they get annoying late game. But I'd hate to give them a hard nerf and leave them inaccessible to stop a rush.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

walls are important i agree , but in late game i feel something should be done

i can recall several games where enemy would use 7+ layers teched up to 7,500 hp each. its even worse if improved buildings card is used. when the wall spamming is this bad petards are too cost ineffective , seige units take too long to breach multiple layers and strategy goes out the window

worse i have ever seen wall laming was an aztec player doing defense dance and fully teched walls at 45,000 hp 6 layers deep
- Dan
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

This is pretty good imo, the TOD won't be as lame as it is now either ;)

But one problem for noobs like me who don't ever build walls in tr 40 (maybe only 2 layers).

Now I won't even have time to build 2 layers.
esam709
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by esam709 »

China has a card which gives walls more HP, but the build time is also slower.