Most Boring 1v1 Matchups in AOE 3

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: Most Boring 1v1 Matchups in AOE 3

Post by 36drew »

Has anyone every tried attack move with cannons?
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]A lot can go wrong. If you micro to a unit and it dies before it fires your cannon may move instead. Any time you click, you risk confusing it and delaying a shot. Any shot is a big event and a screwup or delay can be a problem.[/quote]

So true. Add in some trusty command lag and any just about any infantry will beat a few falcs.

I'm starting to lose faith in artillery. They cost so much and die so easily. If you get them early, the other guy pulls back, ages and gets a culverin. Archers and ashis seem to own them way more often than they should. And because it's so easy to mess up the micro with a falc (ie, with "unpacking" and "accidental moving"), they die really fast.

I'm wondering whether it would make more sense to invest all the resources for falcs in an equal amount of cav. 500 resources buys a lot of hussars, and they live much longer than falcs. I suppose it depends on the situation. Against lame-o ruyter/falc at 12:00, hand cav is the worst thing you can do.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

[quote=""36drew""]Has anyone every tried attack move with cannons?[/quote]

yeps

everytime i send my whole army from my base 2wards some strategic spot i will attack move with the entire army. Worst thing possible, other than stealth lamage, is sending ur army forward, looking at ur base 4 three secs only 2 find ur army ran right into a couple of enemy units that micro all ur arty and ran.

out
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

I tried attack move with organ guns and it didnt really work properly, some enemy vils walked by without being shot at :mad:
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

everytime i send my whole army from my base 2wards some strategic spot i will attack move with the entire army. Worst thing possible, other than stealth lamage, is sending ur army forward, looking at ur base 4 three secs only 2 find ur army ran right into a couple of enemy units that micro all ur arty and ran.

out[/quote]

This has happened to me more times than I would like to admit... I like the way you described how it happens! :o
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

the thing about stealth imo is that it enables units which can be countered to become uncounterable in some circumstances. what i mean is lets say ur facing a sioux , its mid fortress age , u have the desired counter units to repell axe rider , etc. , you notice a blip on ur mini map near some vills on far sider of your town , you send goons/cav archer to deal with the threat , and before you know it a blob of tashunke unstealth right in front of your anti cav and they all die - ive even seen 18 tashunke kill 40 musks before :O. now if the tashunke had no stelth you could have seen them before they seen you and at least fired off some volleys and hit and run them - but with the way the stealth is set up this is immpossible unless you have your explorer with the army or spies all over the map.
- Dan
thanster
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thanster »

^^ :D i love sioux! with all their hunting ups and bows riders, they own face in the 2nd age. i can own pikes with bow riders lol, then i make about 5 axes and send in 4, great for raiding and map control. i think sioux is anti dutch. cause when they go age 3 which they always try to do after shipping in 8 pikes that get wth owned by bow riders, they have 4 choices: ruyters, which will be overpowered by my 25 or so bow riders, skrims, which will be wth owned by the 5 axe i have left, plus some more i have probly made, cannons, which would just be dumb vs sioux, or swiss pikes. swiss pikes have caused me some grief before, but with good enough micro, you can take th;em down with you bow riders. just use the ole trick and take the horse they are attacking and run it away, then when he sets his pikes on a different one, run it away, and run the other one back. ive killed all of the pikes without losing a bow rider b4 :D and btw, i left n3o cause you guys all play on fp, and i dont really feel like installing that lol, i would just mess up my game.
Charge you cowards! no one lives forever! - unknown platoon sargeant, 1917
thanster
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thanster »

and also, tashunke pwn :D :D :D
thanster
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thanster »

and btw, i feel really noob for saying this... I HAVE NEVER USED ATTACK MOVE!!! i know, its totally pathetic. im like a captain and a dunno even what it does rofl. im guessing, from the name "attack move" your units attack while they move lol. how does it help you win a battle? and does it work while your using control groups and microing?
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

attack move is they walk and as soon as they see an opponent unit they attack the nearest unit of the opponent, and if u use it in a fight they will just attack the nearest unit
thanster
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thanster »

it sounds like it messes up alot though seeing as how everytime i read about it, it failed in some way xD
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

thanster, do you even play tad? it says your a corporal there
and you are not in N3O?
Lucifer
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Lucifer »

dunno if its the same in tad.. but the thing i hate most about falcs is that if u bring ur army in his base.. they attack buildings if u dont micro them for units..
thanster
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thanster »

@ aaryn, yes i do play tad, but mainly just unrated's vs my old buddies from nilla that got it too. and my rank is low cause ive been teaching my little bro, and he aint so hot. xD im not a huge pro, on nilla i used to be a captain, but i didnt play for a year and my rank decayed greatly, so i got tad about 2 months back and i **** around on it sometimes :P i played 1.5 k games on nilla so i have some exp. under my belt at tha game :P
thanster
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thanster »

and no im not in n3o, but ill join if you want me to, i jsut dont play much rated anymore. sick of people flaming and ***** :P