Movies to watch

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Movies to watch

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]i've seen last of the mohicans maybe a dozen times. very epic movie[/quote]

Yes, this movie definitely earns the title "epic" (unlike teenage uses, such as "this soda is epic" or "my bedspread is epic"). I listen to the soundtrack on my iPod all the time, including my favorite tune: "The British Arrival." Very AOE-related. I hear that song whenever my first 5 musketeers appear on the battlefield :D

Lazy: That was a superb list! You could be a film reviewer with those excellent encapsulations. You really cut to the heart of the movies with those descriptions.

Al : I love Miller's Crossing. It's yet another awesome Cohen Bros. piece. The period dialogue in that movie is wonderful, like: "So you're givin' me da high hat, are ya?" PEople haven't used that authentic phrase since 1933! Detail FTW.

Speaking of the Cohens, try out their newest offering: Burn After Reading. It is hilarious and shocking all at the same time... but did you expect anything less from these sarcastic, intellectual masters?
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ Burn after reading is simply amazing....im enjoying their work more and more......its good 2 c them prosper in the industry. It might also b the fact that, due to their evergrowing box office success, the Hollywood big shots allow them more artistic friedom. This is something that "what just happened" with Al Pacino, Sean Pen and Bruce Willis is all about.

out
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ Burn after reading is simply amazing....im enjoying their work more and more......its good 2 c them prosper in the industry. It might also b the fact that, due to their evergrowing box office success, the Hollywood big shots allow them more artistic friedom. This is something that "what just happened" with Al Pacino, Sean Pen and Bruce Willis is all about.

I also agree with Al on this one. The Korean movie he mentions is as dramtic as it is action packed. agreat story. ima real kicker for movies that start with that EPIc phrase "based on real events"

Tubruk also made reference 2 2 movies which are mind boggling. The constant gardener, by the same director of city of God, is just as astounding.

I luv this topic.almost as much as beer. Or women but that requires a 18+ symbol in the thread

out
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""][quote=""36drew""]American Ganster, Gran Torino, 300.[/quote]

I haven't seen Gran Torino yet, but i heard it is a really cool movie. I put this on top of my "must see list".[/quote]

It is a good movie, but some of the dialouge really bothered me, especially with the kids..just came across as bad acting. But saying that I loved the story and thought clint eastwood was great.

I would add more movies but all that came to mind were already mentioned. Pulp fiction and resevoir dogs are must sees.

On a seperate note, a lot of times I love just watching seasons of TV shows, especially some comedies. Arrested development is probably the funniest bit of television that I have ever seen. I would highly recommend it to anyone
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

"Letters from iwo jima" is pretty good and so is "Nothing new on the west front". Altho they take a while to watch,they are very intresting.
I love the old indiana jones movies. The theme song is just OP 8)
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""deadhanddan""]
Speaking of the Cohens, try out their newest offering: Burn After Reading. It is hilarious and shocking all at the same time... but did you expect anything less from these sarcastic, intellectual masters?[/quote][/quote]

I loved Burn After Reading. The big reveal scene of George Clooney's character's "invention" is.....interesting.

Lately, I've been itching to see The Dark Knight again. What a GREAT movie that is.

I agree with Tubruk, The Last Samurai was really a good movie. Much better than I thought it would be.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""RascalJones""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""deadhanddan""]
Speaking of the Cohens, try out their newest offering: Burn After Reading. It is hilarious and shocking all at the same time... but did you expect anything less from these sarcastic, intellectual masters?[/quote]
[/quote][/quote]

Ahahaha. I saw Burn After Reading two days before I had heart surgery. I will never forget that scene or that movie. Simply an amazing creation.
Skull_Splinter
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Skull_Splinter »

I am like the expert of movies, I used to rent 4 or so movies a week and go to the theatre, but I got bored with the same old movies being remade...aka American Cinema. Here are some of my favs that you may or may not have seen

Oldboy - (Prob my favorite movie)
The Eye (original version not American re-make)
Equlibrium
Dark City - (similar to the matrix but earlier)
A tale of two sisters (slow movie but creepy and requires you to "pay attention")
The Host
Sympathy for Mr Vengange
Lady Vengance
Ichi the Killer (good torture scenes)
Ong-Bak (Tony Jaa!)
The Protector (Tony Jaa!)
HOWARD THE DUCK!!!! :-P
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

anything with Tony Jaa is EPIC , i luv Ong Bak , have seen it maybe 10 time so far
- Dan
Skull_Splinter
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Skull_Splinter »

Onk-Bak 2 come2 to theaters late October here in USA..the same day as SAW..number6?
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
Skull_Splinter
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Skull_Splinter »

Also just wanted to add this, do not assume that anything with Tony Jaa is epic...DAN...I bought a copy of a movie called Battle Warrior staring Tony Jaa. The back of the case said something along the lines of, "You've seen him in Ong-Bak and the Protector, now see where it all began". I have never even finished this movie it is so bad. It looks like it was filmed with a digital camera, just a real cheap early one of his moves, don't get anything earlier than Ong-Bak this is where it started.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

when did that movie come out? i haven't even heard of it :( Ong Bak and The Protector are amazing , but if this Battle Warrior is as bad as you say it is then i retract my previous statement of Tony
- Dan
Skull_Splinter
Conscript
Conscript

Post by Skull_Splinter »

It came out in 96, but they re-released it in 2007 making it seem like a new movie when it was not, and marketing it as Tony being the main character. I think hes a bad guy and has a minor role..it's so bad that it's funny. Watching it in English just makes it funnier because the voiceover is worse then the filming.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Onk-Bak 2 is maybe one of the best Martial Arts movie EVER, and trust me, I've watched plenty of those.
Also OP: The drunken Master, Snake in the Eagles's shadow, Fearless, Hero, Danny the Dog (aka unleashed)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

UNLEASHED! ha i totally forgot that 1 , very cool flic. Bob Haskins plays a superb bad guy in it.
- Dan