Civ Strength according to Drew

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Re: Civ Strength according to Drew

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I think Russia is underrated here. Their strelets are very cost-efficient and it's good having a cheap, strong age 2 skirmisher unit. The 4 and 5 cossack shipments in age 2 are also beastly. Good raiders and good meatshields, excellent for taking out a light inf spam.

Germans aren't a terrible civ overall anymore. However, they are literally defenseless against a ranged heavy infantry rush, such as muskets, jans, ashigaru, or sepoys. All they have is xbows, and unlike the French, their early game is too slow to mass them effectively. Xbows lose to musketeer units, have no German upgrade cards, and Germans have mediocre age 2 military shipments. They also don't have any musketeer unit to match the enemy's with.
Groovy.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I don't think Germans are that bad against rushing tbh. Even without TP's that kind of turtle I did against you (altho it didn't work) is ok. Spain's musk rush with rods from cards and dogs is harder for germans :\

edit: And Germans are an overall balanced civ imo, they only ''suck'' against top civs.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Nav, Russia is a decent civ but they are far better in team games than in 1v1. It's in team games where the cost effectiveness and massing ability of strelets really comes into its own, and the 4+5 cossack shipments are certainly nice but they don't win games on their own.

I do agree with Cyclo that the civs should be tiered, since the differences between some of the civs that are close to each other on the list of 1-14 are often very small and really only become apparent in specific matchups or on certain maps.

My tiered list would be as such:

1-3 (OP) Dutch, China, Sioux

4-6 (Quite Strong) Spain, French, Iroquois

7-9 (Pretty Decent) Ottoman, Japan, Britain, Germany <-- I think there is a somewhat clear separation in this tier between the first two and the second two.

10-14 (Weak) Aztec, Russia, Portugal, India
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Russia is one of the weakest out there. Strelets are not bad, but their poor range (14 wth?) and high pop need are annoying early on and cav counters them really hard now that the rr% went up.
The best they can do is sevastapol turtle... which is considdered lame and boring :(
It is fun to drop 2 castles in the middle of a fight though
(sorry bout that Al :p )
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Macavity »

---Wow I am going to have to completely disagree with the assessment of India. Everyone has them listed at the bottom or next to it. I am guessing that is because no one has really played them extensively. As an Indian player I will not play China or Russia due to the fact that India just can't handle the rush they put on in Colonial. However there are no other civs I fear playing and a few I few superior to (Ports, Germans, Brits and Ottomans).
---True they are weak in Colonial, but not helpless. In fortress there power really shines. Urumi and Mahouts are a lot stronger than people give them credit for. I have been playing with them elusively for quite a while now and am ranked in the top 50 India players in the world playing mostly 1v1 (played 98 games so far).
---Anyway my point is just because you haven't played a civ, don't knock it till you try it.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I've tried India :) It's a nice civ, but with equal skill from both players the odds are against you.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Macavity I've played India a ton and the simple fact is that there isn't a single matchup that you can get with India that is actually in your favor. The best you can hope for is a mirror match because then, at least, it will be technically even.

Most civs, even the weaker ones, have certain matchups where they have an advantage. India doesn't really have one. Couple that with all their weaknesses and they are the weakest of the bunch.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Macavity »

Um how much have you played with them?
http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/Entit ... cy&sFlag=2

---Not trying to discount you, but I still have to disagree that they are the bottom of the ladder. My two cents worth
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Actually me, KingKara, and Nav were mostly playing India for a good 2 weeks or more trying to make em work. We all found slowly but surely that as India you've not got an edge over anyone, and you have to be able to micro eco/military simlutaneously with no flaws to come out on top. They are not impossible to win with though especially if your opponent doesn't rush and leaves plenty of time to get into Fortress. I they deserve thier bottom rank on the list but with only a slight early eco boost could be up towards the top, the balance is that fine with India.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

Well I have to agree too that india is a bit weak, they have a few powerfull units, but don't have really strong skirmisher late game, no cannon, slow eco (but powerfull). I've played quite some games with india (as you know) and with every other civ. And although I like them they are weak.
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
Macavity
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Macavity »

Well when the patch comes out, I guess I will be a foot up on everyone then ;)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Macavity""]Well when the patch comes out, I guess I will be a foot up on everyone then ;)[/quote]

India will prob be overboosted and called OP and everybody will call India players lamers etc... the story continues
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
kingchrisII
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kingchrisII »

And on the other hand dutch/sioux/chinese could get an over nerf???
who will be the next op civ in ur opinion??
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""kingchrisII""]And on the other hand dutch/sioux/chinese could get an over nerf???
who will be the next op civ in ur opinion??[/quote]

I still think China will be unless there are major changes -- which I do not expect.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

I really, really doubt India will become anywhere close to OP. The best they can hope for is that they will be given enough of a boost to be as strong as Germany or Britain, in my opinion. They would need drastic changes to be made OP, and those won't be implemented, ES doesn't do drastic.

In response to your comment, Macavity, I played nothing but India for over 2 weeks of very active playing and I never once played rated with them because I knew my rating would suffer drastically because of it. I kept waiting to become confident with them and I never really did. That's why I gave up on it.

They're just too weak.