No Honor

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

No Honor

Post by Saint »

Ok..Im a father before im a gamer. about an hour into a gret battle my kid fell off his bike and i asked the guy "Can we Pause, My kid fell" He sais "NO" with a rather lame insult attached!!!

wth....so i leave table to tend to my wounded BMX 5 year old and come back to a base in ruins!!!

I dont think ill ever need,want or be enough af an azz to get a win that way!

thanx for the rant!!!!

oh yea..he even outranked me too!

peace
aka~Rubber_Chuck
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: No Honor

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

That's when you get some spies and hide them near mines!
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]That's when you get some spies and hide them near mines![/quote]

:twisted:
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]That's when you get some spies and hide them near mines![/quote]

theres mines ???
aka~Rubber_Chuck
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Post by NitroZ »

sporting means gold mines not landmines xD.

People like that are pr ***** and just want a win even if it means unpausing a game while ur brb.
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

Question: If i pest a player...he will till get me on quik search ?
aka~Rubber_Chuck
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

^yes
- Dan
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

You should expect no less when it comes to online gaming.

I recently read a forum post on a board dedicated to a popular multiplayer RTS where the majority of posters tried to justify not saying "GG" at the end of each game.

On the other hand, it is sort of unreasonable to expect people you don't know online to let you pause the game for an extended period of time, regardless of what you say your reason is. They have no reason to believe you, and in the case that something bad really does happen and require your attention, well, then I think the loss obviously isn't really a big deal by comparison.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""NitroZ""]

People like that are pr ***** and just want a win even if it means unpausing a game while ur brb.[/quote] +10000

ppl online in general are ***'s, which is why i am gratefull to be in a clan such as this - an N3O member would never act that way to a fellow member let alone another online gamer. one reason why i luv doing team games with clan members , if one of us has to go afk real quick , there is always a clanmate ready to re-pause if sum1 gets the gumption to act like that. :)
- Dan
Saint
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Saint »

"You should expect no less when it comes to online gaming."

true...however this guy was a seasoned pro...you could tell by his play.

he was also clan...

i expectd more from someone with odvious skillz!
aka~Rubber_Chuck
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""Saint""]"You should expect no less when it comes to online gaming."

true...however this guy was a seasoned pro...you could tell by his play.

he was also clan...

i expectd more from someone with odvious skillz![/quote]

This person who didnt wait was in N3O ? If so PM a officer or jim/
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""Saint""]Question: If i pest a player...he will till get me on quik search ?[/quote]

yes, you both could still meet in quicksearch, even though you pested him

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]
On the other hand, it is sort of unreasonable to expect people you don't know online to let you pause the game for an extended period of time, regardless of what you say your reason is. They have no reason to believe you, and in the case that something bad really does happen and require your attention, well, then I think the loss obviously isn't really a big deal by comparison.[/quote]

this is true, you can hope for him waiting but most people won't, it surprises me that you are surprised by this, it's the internet and how everyone thinks he is invincible
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

What a punk, Saint. I hate to hear stories like this. On the other hand, I agree that you need to expect this behavior when you play with people you don't know. Generally speaking, anybody playing competitively IS a PR *****--as Nitro said--so you need to expect conduct befitting a *****... or worse.

When PR is at stake, winning matters. Honorable people care about how they win. They do not want to win in a lowly or underhanded manner. Suffice it to say, PR ***** do not have honor.

I join Dan in saying that we are all fortunate to be in a clan where honor actually means something, and in which we accommodate everyone's real life interruptions without whining or--worse--taking advantage of them to win a game. I know that if people exploited my pauses I would probably have about a 10% win pct.

Just so you know, there is not much honor anywhere these days, not just in online gaming. That's one of the reasons I left law practice, too! Strangely, I see a lot of similarities between law practice (litigation) and PR whoring. They are both all about winning and exploiting "game rules" to surprise people and get petty advantages over the other side. The only difference is that money is at stake in law practice, so it gets even uglier. Add money into any equation and honor is the first thing out the window.

AOE nastiness stems from self-esteem issues, not money. People think PR is a reflection of their intelligence, ability, skill and "worth." It is an "ego badge." They thirst for a higher number and dread a lower one. A loss stains the badge, lowering the player's esteem before the whole community. Thus, the quest for PR is an attempt both to boost one's self-esteem before a rude, judgmental community and to avoid scorn from the same community. In either case, honor is a roadblock to winning. That is why most people determined to win dispense with it at the first opportunity.

For the record, I would have held your pause for as long as you needed, buddy. But for the grace of God go we all with RL interruptions. I know I will need to pause one day, so I treat others as I would like to be treated.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

I dunno if it's just me, but whenever I asked to pause in quicksearch I could often go away with it. pr 30+ people are nice people? ^^''
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]I dunno if it's just me, but whenever I asked to pause in quicksearch I could often go away with it. pr 30+ people are nice people? ^^''[/quote]

same. People ask for a pause often and I always let them, usually they're back within 30 seconds. But there are always some rotten apples I guess. Fair play ftw.
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.