Spain FF - Buschmann's request

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Spain FF - Buschmann's request

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Buschmann had asked for Spain FF or semi-FF recs and that was a nice challenge. Spain = fun, indeed.

First game is vs Japs. On a 30 minute full action packed game, CIR skirms, lancers and swiss pikes' awesomeness levels do their best to expel the japanese out of the great plains.

Second game is vs French semi-FF. I do the same BO as vs Japs. ERROR 1 - french don't have ashis, so there's no need for skirms. ERROR 2 - french is a much heavier on cav civ, so I needed much more anti-cav. Basically this means there's the need to adapt and not do the same every game.

Third game is vs French semi-FF. This time I bet strong on a rodolancer combo that is able to chew bubble gum. Things start going wrong when the musket spam, tc fire, cdbs and swiss pikes are too tough to beat with just rods and lancers. Do you want to check out how it ended? You'd better see it for yourself, cause they were 37 minutes of full action!

Spain FF and Spain vs French are classic, you'd better check these recorded games because these are high quality games. High five, Huggy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Spain FF - Buschmann's request

Post by generalbuschmann »

its always fun to watch recs with spain ff recs
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

The game on yucatan was awesome. You guys should watch from Sporting's POV. I won't tell who won it.

ggs :)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]The game on yucatan was awesome. You guys should watch from Sporting's POV. I won't tell who won it.

ggs :)[/quote]

I completely agree. Was a great game. In fact, if we had a game of the week feature around these parts, this would be it. :)
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

OP games, guys. Thanks for posting.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

thx will watch

do you think FF is always viable for spain or when do you stay colo?
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

That's actually a good question. It should be viable all the time unless vs strong rush civs that will get you housed, like iro, aztec, etc. As long as you live until fortress with a barracks up and some houses, you're fine. I think that the FF has much more potential than staying colonial, tho.
St_Brewer
Captain
Captain

Post by St_Brewer »

i think if u meet some rushing u get urself a counter force large enough to chase off raids and get some outposts up and from that its just a matter of fending them off until u can age up, once aging u get a slightly larger defence force, well thats what i would do but i guess ur more qualified
If you cant run then you walk
If you cant walk then you crawl
and if you cant do that no more...
well you find someone to carry you
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Yes, that's how it works. 2 falcs and age up hussars and card lancers will then throw back anything he has as long as you have the houses to ship the cards.
St_Brewer
Captain
Captain

Post by St_Brewer »

i dont think i've ever played as the spanish but i guess it works the same with pretty much every civ doesnt it?
If you cant run then you walk
If you cant walk then you crawl
and if you cant do that no more...
well you find someone to carry you
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

More or less. The spanish age up to fortress slower than any other civs which can be troubling. Also, all their shipped units are melee, and that made the whole otto vs spain quite troubling: a seemingly "noobish" jan rush could wipe out the spanish player cause of their huge hp and melee abilities and siege (janis>lancers and rods).
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

That's true. Janny rush > Spanish FF. At least, it used to.

I do two things against Spain. If I suspect colonial warfare (ie, is there archaic inf in the deck? Are the Age 3 shipments not all there, but all the Age 2 military cards are? Is there a rax going up before 5:00?) I do a heavy infantry rush (very easy with Brits). Dual rax British musket can overpower any xbows Spain builds; it stinks not having any RI shipments.

If I suspect FF and I'm German (ie, not all Age 2 military shipments, all Age 3 military shipments, plus a tower at base) I do a semi-FF with RI harassment and 5 pikes. If I can pick off a few vils and siege one house, then pull back and age after he ages, I'm happy. After that, it's veteran uhlans and skirms. Lancers do very poorly against veteran uhlans... only 20 attack, while the uhlans do at least 44 in return. And if you can clip the 2 falcs right when they pop out, that's GG.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by generalbuschmann »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""] all their shipped units are melee, and that made the whole otto vs spain quite troubling[/quote]
2 falcs, 9 highlanders
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Except for the falcs, of course. And falcs don't shine that much vs janis cause they have tons of hitpoints. 9 highlanders are ok but I prefer swiss pikes. Vs otto it would be nice, but you'd have to 1000c, kinda hard when pressured.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]That's true. Janny rush > Spanish FF. At least, it used to.

I do two things against Spain. If I suspect colonial warfare (ie, is there archaic inf in the deck? Are the Age 3 shipments not all there, but all the Age 2 military cards are? Is there a rax going up before 5:00?) I do a heavy infantry rush (very easy with Brits). Dual rax British musket can overpower any xbows Spain builds; it stinks not having any RI shipments.

If I suspect FF and I'm German (ie, not all Age 2 military shipments, all Age 3 military shipments, plus a tower at base) I do a semi-FF with RI harassment and 5 pikes. If I can pick off a few vils and siege one house, then pull back and age after he ages, I'm happy. After that, it's veteran uhlans and skirms. Lancers do very poorly against veteran uhlans... only 20 attack, while the uhlans do at least 44 in return. And if you can clip the 2 falcs right when they pop out, that's GG.[/quote]

Yeah getting some of the spanish's houses is great. But watchout: i.e., my rush deck is the same as my FF (due to laziness) :p

Germans vs spain, it used to be a damn tough matchup for Germans. I recommend a different aproach: try doppels with uhlans and dismiss the skirmishers. Doppels >> lancers, rods and dogs, while uhlans take the skirmishers and falcs. Get some skirms just in case goons show up, which isn't that usual.