General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Favorite unit and why?

Post by Warlord678 »

My favorite unit is Longbows.

Why? I like their range, its fun to work with. I also like the way the unit looks and how they volley there arrows, its cool 8)

What unit is your favorite?
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Favorite unit and why?

Post by generalbuschmann »

urumi, because they are different
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I have 2 Favorite units. For treaty my favorite unit is the organ guns. I just love how they maul infantry. Just get 5-10 of them and surround them with muskets and goons and they are devistating. With about 10 of them they can take out a nice little cluster of cav in 1 round of fire.

My favorite unit for rush games is the Jaguar Prowl Knight. They counter both heavy infantry and cavalry. With thier stealth they can pop up right next to enemy units that are moving and if your opponent is not keeping a close eye on them you can get 3-4 hits off before they stop moving and attack. So with that as long as an explorer is not near they can even take on an equal number of skirms. Also with some civs like japan jaguars alone can take on all of thier units. Since late game the yumi is not as strong as the ashi and the samurai just barely wins with the area attack, and with artillery they can walk up next to them and melee and artillery can barely damage units next to them. Also don't forget late game after shipping all 3 of thier attack and hp upgrade cards and the one that increases the knights siege about 10 of them can take down the shogunate in several seconds

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i don't really have one favourite unit, but my favourite units are chosen as by how they look and how they're animated etc.

so, regardless of the units strength:

musketeers, i just like this unit, especially the ashigaru and the sepoy, maybe highlanders too, from all the ranged infantry i like the jingasas, chu ko nu and arquebusiers, ashigarus are jingasas too :D
after that war wagons, they remind me of the korean special unit from aoe2: the conquerors and i like those two guns sticking out
jaguar prowl knights like generalmichael too, i love this blade made of obsidian^^
ninjutsu-zukai and shinobi-no-mono, just for the looks
from the cav units, the cuirassiers and the uhlans and spahis, from the merc cav units hackapell and elmeti, ranged cav howdah and black rider mercs
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckei
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by ckei »

I like the flaming arrow. It just looks so cool when you see a flaming arrow going through the battlefield
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

The most fun I ever had was 270 attack lancers vs. skirmishers. I think I have a screenshot of it on my homecomputer... That was just sick.

Bombards are pretty fun too.

As for more conventional units, I would have to say skirmishers. Hit, run, repeat.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i have many fav units , so i cant pin it to just a single unit , but seriously the most fun i have had with unit all revolves around unctioned missoinaries. unction and upped fusilers is a devastating one unit slaughter that nothing and i mean nothing can kill. 7 speed , 148 solid ranged attack with a 1.5 ranged bonus vs cav makes them sleek, deadly, and heavy hitting with no reall counter. or unctioned hackapells with 232 attack , one hit kills on skirms+vills+and will maul any other cav absurdly including goons. for ease of use with unction i suggest going full out rodelero with every single upgrade , their attack just stacks and stacks to the point where your in age 3 and your rodelero have 6.6 speed+250 hp+37 melee attack :D
- Dan
gendarme
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by gendarme »

Lamer
Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Warlord678 »

^!
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

my conquistador's motto ''no mercy!''
- Dan
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Hydralisk....

Oh wait, that's a different game.

My favorite unit...hrm...I'm going to have to say the Strelet.

In the Age series though I think my favorite unit is a tie between the Teutonic Knight and the Cataphract.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^^ You play SC KK? I wouldn't mind reinstalling it to get a match or two in! It could be fun!
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]Hydralisk....

Oh wait, that's a different game.

My favorite unit...hrm...I'm going to have to say the Strelet.

In the Age series though I think my favorite unit is a tie between the Teutonic Knight and the Cataphract.[/quote] tuetonic knights were soo cool :D i miss phalanx , old school priests ( convert ability ) woad raiders , and huskarls. best all time aoe series unit imho is the priest tho. get 20 of them and convert enemy units and villagers plus pick up relics and horde them off to churches....ah the good old days :cry:
- Dan
Lost_my_hope
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Lost_my_hope »

The Jäger. Skirmisher with a santa hat, what could be cooler?
Vivian Stanshall, about 3 o'clock in the morning, Oxfordshire, 1973... good night.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Lost_my_hope""]The Jäger. Skirmisher with a santa hat, what could be cooler?[/quote]

Ha ha, that's great. Jaegers are definitely my favorite mercs. I used to build while strats around them back in TWC times.

But when it comes to all-time favorite units, did you really have to ask? I think you all know the answer to that question from my perspective :

U H L A N S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! !!! !!! ! !!

I mean, can you really not fall in love with those slightly-whiny czapka-wearing Prussian mounted warriors who can shred vils, LBs, strels and even hussars for a mere 100 gold and 50 food? How can you not fall in love with dual rax spams supported by market upgrades and free ones coming in from your shipments? If ever a unit made me love a whole game, it has been the uhlan. I am not married, but uhlans are definitely in the running for my heart 8)

I have only two things to say: "Auftrag? IN DEN KAMPF !!!"

Second favorite: Skirms. I love these long-ranged devils, whether they're Dutch or German. You can tell how much I love them by checking out my Custom game stats... I've trained over 10000 of these sharpshootin' fellas.

Third favorite: MUSKETS!!! Muskets can do it all; I don't care what they say. Wanna go toe-to-toe with my musket spam with xbows? Bring it on!! COMMANDEMENT !!!!! (Taunt 155)

Now I've gone and gotten myself all excited... who started this ? 8) 8)
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)