Brits v. French on New England

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Brits v. French on New England

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Today I did 2 1v1s today after a very long break. This one was me (Brits) vs. Tubruk (French). He goes for a very aggressive dual rax xbow/pike spam against a LB defense for me. I manage to hold him for a good while with LBs and a wall, but the turning point comes when I try to take the sea. I lose my fishing boats to his waiting caravels and a few vils, and at that point I run out of hunts and cannot keep up with Tubs' excellent spam. I didn't even see his caravels killing my shore vils!

All in all, I think I did OK after so long away. Obviously my play will appear a little rusty, but maybe it's worth a look. I never got a chance to really boom... Tubs did the right thing against the Brits!

GG Tubs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Brits v. French on New England

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

not bad for being so rusty Kaiser!

I think this match-up is in favor for the french, who can put a lot of pressure on your eco without much risk. I saw a Challe rec on RE patch where he had a real hard time defending vs this xbow spam.
Your building placement was rather poor, but it takes some practice to get the right feeling. Put your tower within TC range, it's important for defence, you lost it too fast. Calling MM need to be better timed, wait until there are several troops near the TC, so they can do more damage. Tubruk did well to pull back on time and picked off the MM later.
Use the longbow range better. Whenever there are units in LOS, go and snipe em :8
idles... this is what killed your eco imo. Even if you have to use the berries, try to have less idles.
maybe add a military shipment (6 lbs) in your deck vs rushes.

well played by Tubruk, he never let you recover and came in with a nice cav mass to seal it

gg
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

GG Ben,
And yeah i have to agree with chaos the dual rax rush is stronger than ever imo, with alot of other civs being nerfed.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's a really good strat against the Brits, and I imagine it would work really well against Japan, too. The great part about it is that you can easily add in 10 pikes to stop early cav.

My German semi-FF is the only thing I can think that would hard counter it! Maybe an old school Spanish FF would be good, too.

Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

tubruk is right, the dual rax is so strong as never before, and against brits, the -1 attack makes lbows weaker vs xbows, and since the typical dual rax rush does not involve any muskets, the brits are worse off here ;)
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""Aaryn_GenD""]tubruk is right, the dual rax is so strong as never before, and against brits, the -1 attack makes lbows weaker vs xbows, and since the typical dual rax rush does not involve any muskets, the brits are worse off here ;)[/quote]

I forgot all about the -1 attack. That was critical here. The other thing about dual rax is that it makes early cav very risky. You could lose all 5 hussars to the pikes and have basically nothing left.