Yukon Crazy!

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yukon Crazy!

Post by ruminator »

I am working on a new strat after being harrassed by a German playing early ATP and then spamming lightning warriors on Yucatan!

I was looking at who can benefit most from playing ATP and decided that Portugal may be the way forward. Without a 3 settler card in age 1 they have no set card policy here and so potentially the most flexibility.

So I was looking at Yukon first, hence the strat title:

1 play ATP as first card
2 select 400 wood poli on aging
3 move settlers to wood - say 4/9
4 you will age pretty early with 13 settlers as you have hunting dogs
5 drop first TP when 150 wood obtained
6 send explorer to furthest native t/p and be ready to build
7 send second t/c to explorer
8 explorer to then build second native t/c
9 send 8 xbow and start building native warriors
10 once both native tps built send native treaties shipment
11 build native embassy and barracks and start spamming xbow/natives

Additions to this include the walling off of the crossing to keep pike away from your base, and towering up the trade route for extra protection. You only need gold for upgrades so start putting some settlers on mines once you have good food/wood econ or use market to trade.

Main cards required are:

advanced trading post
native treaties
native lore
8 xbow
700 food/wood/gold
exotic hardoods
advanced arsenal.

Enjoy! I will look to try this in a clan game soon, depending on map.

This is map dependent, but does seem quite a fun strat. I will try to add a replay once I have smoothed out the wrinkles.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
generalbuschmann
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Yukon Crazy!

Post by generalbuschmann »

i use atp as spain and do a atp ff or semi ff. i try to get like 2 tradingposts when i age to colo, in age 3 then i have lots of shipments and can send lancers/rods/pikes/cannon etc.

maybe try french with atp and natives, with all those upgrades native units can be better then with ports
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

i agree with buschmann spain+atp is nice and you got a couple of options.

i don't understand what gave you problems when that ger player got lightning warriors, they suck vs cav really(low dmg) and get owned by xbows

concerning natives generally, only a handful out of the 22 natives are useful, rest is crap or not good enough to replace standard units^^
imo, just unit-wise, cherokee, apache, cheyenne(cheyenne fury), Klamath (identical unit as cherokee) shaolin are useful, i lke zen too sohei rox

french + natives is really nice as everybody knows, for example food/wood econ plus sufi war elephants/xbow/pike is a fun combo to use on mongolia
Last edited by Aaryn_GenD on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

yukon can be interesting for natives , does have the nootka which stat wise are not very desirable but they do have some useful techs such as the nootka chief , being able to have mobile troop training can be advantageous in the right circumstances ( your explorer ) for anti - cav or for seige troops. nootka are pretty cheap resource wise so if you can fit them in your strat then more power to ya ;)

as for zapotec : that native tp rocks!!! the zapotec have the tech which grants +20% attack to all hand infantry : including mercs-natives as well as standard units. this tech works for most civs but is most benificial to india ( rajput-urumi ) spain , germany, japan, china , aztec ( any civ that has decent melee infantry or merc shipments ). being the zapotecs r weak attack but high hp you can use them as tanks in your army to soak up damage.
- Dan
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""generalbuschmann""]i use atp as spain and do a atp ff or semi ff. i try to get like 2 tradingposts when i age to colo, in age 3 then i have lots of shipments and can send lancers/rods/pikes/cannon etc.

maybe try french with atp and natives, with all those upgrades native units can be better then with ports[/quote]

Sure France have the upgrade cards, but you have to sacrifice the 3 coureur card in discovery in order to play ATP - that's a tough choice as apart from 2 settler wagons the 3 coureur card is possibly the best age 1 card out there. Ports only really have a (poor) choice of ATP, CM, or no card at all in age 1 - which is why I'm looking at ports ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

france doesnt need ATP imo, but even if you want it, play it as sencond card, 3 cdb is too valuable to skip
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]france doesnt need ATP imo, but even if you want it, play it as sencond card, 3 cdb is too valuable to skip[/quote]

true chaos, and i must also add that one should only send it if you get 3 tps, if oyu only grab 2 tps it's not that well, but okay if you plan on getting the 3d rather fast

as for dans post: native techs are a bad choice early game(especially in a 1v1, they're useful for prolonged colonial wars or just later in the game
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

depends on natives arryn ,a couple examples would be the cherokee who have the 4 vill tech + the tech which takes out wood cost in all market techs , commanche have the 15 bison tech for only 150 gold+food , plus most natives r rather cheap in cost and require no pop space. saying natives aren't usefull early on isn't true , all depends on map and units / techs you wish to use
- Dan
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]depends on natives arryn ,a couple examples would be the cherokee who have the 4 vill tech + the tech which takes out wood cost in all market techs , commanche have the 15 bison tech for only 150 gold+food , plus most natives r rather cheap in cost and require no pop space. saying natives aren't usefull early on isn't true , all depends on map and units / techs you wish to use[/quote]

read my post again, i said the majority of native techs are not useful early game.

also the techs you mentioned are only grabbed if you plan on using native units anyway and mid- late colo, i don't think you want to spend 250w for a native tp plus the cost of the techs just to get those techs you mentioned. :-P

and yeah, the bison tech is good for late colonial when you're hunts run out aor it isn't safe to gather from far away
the upgrade which removes cost of market also removes those of plantations, mills and docks, it's only 100food/100coin, very nice when you make the transiiton to mills/plants
the advantage of the 4 vill tech( which costs 200wood, 200coin) is that you get them immediately after the tech is researched and no queue from your tc is taken

the cherokee you took as an example are one of the best natives anyway :-P
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

Dan,

U seem to have a very sound understanding of Natives, and what they offer for most civs. You also seem 2 b able incorprate (sp) them into every game u play. I would luv 2 know a little more about them. I just dont place natives in my general gameplay, regrdless of maps and civs chosen. I think most players dont either.

I would find it very cool if u´d sit down 4 a while and write up a comprehensive guide on natives. Yes i know, there are a couple out there, but none which actually bring about a strategy for them. ie which civ and with what strategy would a player most benefit from the natives on, say, Sonora. If u could just make a guide 2 remind us LaZy people what maps get which natives and how certain civs would most benefit from both the techs and their units.

out
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Well, I know nothing about natives, but I can tell you, Ruminator, that ATP is extremely viable with the Germans 1v1. Send it as your second card (sometimes still in discovery), chop 300 wood for 2 TPs, age with 400 wood, put up a stable and build 5 uhlans for harassment. Send 3 SWs, make your way to fortress. Don't do it under pressure, of course, but it is nice against Dutch, Brits, Chinese and Spanish. Gather wood in the transition for housing and the veteran uhlan upgrade; you'll need decent housing for shipments. Once you hit Age 3, you can spam about 3 shipments... and call me biased, but Age 3 German shipments are, well, OP!!! Veteran uhlans/skirms/maybe Jaegers or BRs is still a knock-out combo against most civs, especially when they are still in colonial.

This is a nice way to go on Yukon, but personally I love it on Texas, Yucatan and Mongolia, too!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Some favourite native upgrades - correct me if any of these are wrong:

Cavalry
cheyenne - 40% faster cav training
commanche - 10% faster speed

Infantry
Inca - 20% increase infantry speed
seminole - 25% archer damage
tupi - 10% archer damage
zapotec - 20% hand infantry damage

all units
apache - 5% speed increase
inca - 25% less build time

econ
cherokee - market,dock, mill plant upgrades cost no wood
cherokee - 4 settlers
huron - 20% fishing boat gather increase
klamath - 5% gather increase for all resources
maya - 10% gather rate increase for hunts, mills, farms
zapotec - 10% increase gather rate for buildings - ie farms, mills, plants.

Inca are seriously OP and try those cav boosts when playing Sioux. You can send a 3 tp card in age 2 - so drop two on natives and go cav. Great plains and texas are the maps for this I think ...

George Wallace
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Well, I know nothing about natives, but I can tell you, Ruminator, that ATP is extremely viable with the Germans 1v1. Send it as your second card (sometimes still in discovery), chop 300 wood for 2 TPs, age with 400 wood, put up a stable and build 5 uhlans for harassment. Send 3 SWs, make your way to fortress. Don't do it under pressure, of course, but it is nice against Dutch, Brits, Chinese and Spanish. Gather wood in the transition for housing and the veteran uhlan upgrade; you'll need decent housing for shipments. Once you hit Age 3, you can spam about 3 shipments... and call me biased, but Age 3 German shipments are, well, OP!!! Veteran uhlans/skirms/maybe Jaegers or BRs is still a knock-out combo against most civs, especially when they are still in colonial.

This is a nice way to go on Yukon, but personally I love it on Texas, Yucatan and Mongolia, too![/quote]

Are you sure about the china part? A 'good' chinese player does a solid heavy pressure rush and would be too aggressive IMO.
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

so true ruminator , also on a couple custom maps i have a fondness for Green Valley and JD Sioux Country :)
- Dan
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Soccerman771""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Well, I know nothing about natives, but I can tell you, Ruminator, that ATP is extremely viable with the Germans 1v1. Send it as your second card (sometimes still in discovery), chop 300 wood for 2 TPs, age with 400 wood, put up a stable and build 5 uhlans for harassment. Send 3 SWs, make your way to fortress. Don't do it under pressure, of course, but it is nice against Dutch, Brits, Chinese and Spanish. Gather wood in the transition for housing and the veteran uhlan upgrade; you'll need decent housing for shipments. Once you hit Age 3, you can spam about 3 shipments... and call me biased, but Age 3 German shipments are, well, OP!!! Veteran uhlans/skirms/maybe Jaegers or BRs is still a knock-out combo against most civs, especially when they are still in colonial.

This is a nice way to go on Yukon, but personally I love it on Texas, Yucatan and Mongolia, too![/quote]

Are you sure about the china part? A 'good' chinese player does a solid heavy pressure rush and would be too aggressive IMO.[/quote]

That's true. I would not do this if I spotted an aggressive FB against any civ!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)