Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fan Patch Ottos

Post by danno527 »

Hey all

After having this game for a year and a bit i have managed to get a decent grasp of all the civs except the Ottomans. For some reason i avoided them when i first got the game. I guess i thought they were for Noobs, cause in 1.04 TWC they kinda were with the Jannisary rush. But now that all the other civs no longer hold to many secrets for me and the Ottos are more challenging i am wanting to give them a go.

So my question to you all is what do i do now in the fan patch. Good old Jannisary rush? Jannisary/Abus gun? Hussar/ Abus? Semi-FF?

If anyone has any good FP records that would be most appriciated.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Fan Patch Ottos

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

for me, one of the most fun aspects is the huge versatility they have.
jan rush, native rush, defensive jan/abus mass, hussar raids, heavy eco (land/water/TPs), FF, semi-FF, FI, Revolt.... all are possible.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

jan/grens can be fun in 1v1, I like doing a hussar start too, team or 1v1. For team games, abus are pretty good as is hussar. A lot more versatile than pre-patch.....
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Get to fortress, get 3 t/cs and spam all those free settlers has always been a good route to go. However, I haven't palyed them since new FP and so haven't really worked out the current mosque upgrades and the total change to abus guns yet. Are you looking at 1v1 or 2v2s as the strats will be different ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

Ya that was kinda what i was wondering about was the mosque changes and the abus nerfs
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

hm the way how they should be played now should be called "wise". damnit said you really have to calculate and plan well, go either military or eco-heavy.

you don't really get as much mosque upgrades as possible now, only the first and second one if you go more eco heavy, you can also just do fine with one mosque upgrade.
this helps them be more played like the typical euro civs ith their colonial agendas.

concerning their army jan+abus is not what it was used to be, so many people go for the 3 unit combo jan+abus+hussar, in different rations regarding the situation, like osmetimes you go more jan heavy, other time more heavy on hussars

strokeyblofeld is right, their ff, fi, fr are still possible, i just think their ff has suffered quite alot. (btw strokey i suppose jan+gren rush works good vs dutch :-) )

the new mosque techs are a double-edged sword: they provide a much better colonial eco than before, but it isn't really useful when you go fortress, where your eco comes from 3 tc free vills, rather than the 2 and 3 settlers you get from the new mosque upgrades. the new uprgades are expensive of course since they deliver setlers, this slows down your 3 tc vill spam alot.
it takes now a whoe minute till spahis arrive, the 1 mameluck less form the 5 mam merc shipment is a nerf too, and the alltime favourit abus which are turned more in to a skirmisher than a damagemonster which didn't have high multipliers, but a base attack whihc pierces through any resistence ;-) jans got also less hp but 1 atk more, again more like the common musketeer units

i'd say a nice colonial agenda, with the 3 unit combo, stagecoach eco and mosque techs is desirable in 1v1 and good also fun :-P
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

jan / gren doesn't work vs dutch , maybe vs. crossbow civs but not age 2 skirm - grens+jans both have heavy infantry tag :neutral: best bet vs a dutch is to do a hussar ff and add in falcs+spahi , after 2 or so cards try to send cheaper mosque improvements card and lower all church techs and vill # upgrades for vills by 33% , you can seriously boom after doing that :)
- Dan
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]jan / gren doesn't work vs dutch , maybe vs. crossbow civs but not age 2 skirm - grens+jans both have heavy infantry tag :neutral: best bet vs a dutch is to do a hussar ff and add in falcs+spahi , after 2 or so cards try to send cheaper mosque improvements card and lower all church techs and vill # upgrades for vills by 33% , you can seriously boom after doing that :)[/quote]

i mean to get the banks down, damnit also said this
well you could ship 3 huss^^
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

New ottos. blergh. They could have named it Turkey from now on, cause it's not ottos :p
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

^^^^^
which is why i am now finally goning to give them a try. Thanks for the essay Aaryn twas usful
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Good luck on it, Danno. I never play Otto 1v1. I am too nervous about losing my "train vil" habits!

Team is a different story. Spamming jannies and abus is fun, although lame :D I watched a NP 3v3 rec the other day and I assure you, a straight abus spam still works. Try this: double cav + abus... ouuch! Abus can pwn up to 2 players' worth of HI, removing the threat to cav, then your double cav mops up any RI they assemble 8O German/French/Otto... LOOK OUT !!! (2 team cav attack cards + abus... goodness, me!)
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

zé Kaiser, master of evil team strats :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]zé Kaiser, master of evil team strats :D[/quote]

Taunt 21.

Well, not to spill the beans too early, but I am currently at work devising another uhlan-oriented 3v3 strat that involves massive colonial econ growth via market upgrades, two stables, then a breeze over fortress, 1000 coin, mercantilism, 2 factories and relatively early czapkas (ie, around 16:00) :twisted: Be on the lookout for it!

In the meantime, double cav + abus is on the table!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

shoulda seen the clan game on GV yesterday , triple cav vs. double anti-cav+ r.i. , guess which won :(
- Dan
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]shoulda seen the clan game on GV yesterday , triple cav vs. double anti-cav+ r.i. , guess which won :([/quote]

I don't have to guess, but I can't tell either, since there were no survivors. :neutral: