Want to know if my laptop will support AOE3?

Everything tech-related is discussed here

Moderator: Global Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

Want to know if my laptop will support AOE3?

Post by 36drew »

I'm just dying to play and it still might be a few days before I get the real gaming desktop up and running. I have a laptop here and i'm trying to figure out if it can run AOE.

The specs are:
Windows XP
Dell Inspiro l6400
Intel Core 2 Cpu
T5500 @ 1.66 Ghz
1.66 Ghz, 1.99 GB or RAM

As I understand it, the laptop meets the requirements that way, but i'm not sure about the videocard that it comes with. Does anyone know how to check?
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: Want to know if my laptop will support AOE3?

Post by 36drew »

It seems I have this for a graphics card:

Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family
Chip Type: Intel Calistoga Graphics Controlloer
Memory Size: 224 MB

On the requirements it says: 64 MB video card with support for hardware transformation and lighting required

Any idea how to check if it's supported ^^? It's the bold part that I have no idea how to check. The memory seems to be sufficient otherwise.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Forget it with this graphics chip. This is just like Office PC with onboard graphics. ANd it will take the memory from the main memory. It doesn't have exclusive ram

but CPU is ok

Edit: But u can try it, justturn off all graphics effects maybe u can play with some lag ;)
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

true comadevil, lol Hardware Transform and lighting (short: T&L) is supported by every graphic card since 2002 xD
you could try drew, i think for a ( minimum graphics, maxparticles=0 ) 1v1 it would be a limited way to possibly play

btw, how many days until you can play on your desktop pc again? =)
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Almost forgot: And play with the lowest resolution.
This is the most important
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Your laptop is worse than mine :P

Intel Core21.66 is a joke, unless its a duo, but even then it is inferior to many other Intel products (meaning you got ripped off). It would run AOE3, just don't expect to Fraps anything or play on water maps.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""cheesehat""]Your laptop is worse than mine :P

Intel Core21.66 is a joke, unless its a duo, but even then it is inferior to many other Intel products (meaning you got ripped off). It would run AOE3, just don't expect to Fraps anything or play on water maps.[/quote]

Not sure how you can figure I got ripped off when you don't know when my fiance bought the PC or how much she paid for it.

As for when I'll get the gaming PC back -- i'm hoping by Wed/Thu.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

Well CPU isn't a joke, it is ok because it is a CPU with two cores and the laptop has also enough memory.
The laptop is good for everything except gaming and CAD ;)
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Comadevil""]Well CPU isn't a joke, it is ok because it is a CPU with two cores and the laptop has also enough memory.
The laptop is good for everything except gaming and CAD ;)[/quote]
Can you clarify this CAD thing?
Only thing I know that CAD stands for is Ctrl-Alt-Del which is a pitiful excuse for a gaming webcomic.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Comadevil »

cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

[quote=""36drew""][quote=""cheesehat""]Your laptop is worse than mine :P

Intel Core21.66 is a joke, unless its a duo, but even then it is inferior to many other Intel products (meaning you got ripped off). It would run AOE3, just don't expect to Fraps anything or play on water maps.[/quote]

Not sure how you can figure I got ripped off when you don't know when my fiance bought the PC or how much she paid for it.

As for when I'll get the gaming PC back -- i'm hoping by Wed/Thu.[/quote]

It costs the same as a superior Intel Celeron 1.9 or higher except its slower :P

Its just like Intel Core2 Duo and Intel Centrino 2, a Centrino 2 just looks shinier, costs ~1.3x a Core2Duo but runs roughly the same speed.

Turn your graphics down and it will run AOE3, You could try overclocking your processor if it is an old computer if you want to fraps it
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Thank you Coma, I enjoyed staring at that GIF for a long time.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""cheesehat""][quote=""36drew""][quote=""cheesehat""]Your laptop is worse than mine :P

As for when I'll get the gaming PC back -- i'm hoping by Wed/Thu.[/quote]

It costs the same as a superior Intel Celeron 1.9 or higher except its slower :P

Its just like Intel Core2 Duo and Intel Centrino 2, a Centrino 2 just looks shinier, costs ~1.3x a Core2Duo but runs roughly the same speed.

Turn your graphics down and it will run AOE3, You could try overclocking your processor if it is an old computer if you want to fraps it[/quote]

No, Celeron is not a gaming chip and will run Ages more slowly. Celeron is not a "superior" chip, and the speed values can only be directly compared when running static applications like Office or surfing the Web. There is much more to a chip than raw speed. Also, Centrino has power management features that keep the chip cooler, which is critical for a laptop.

Amazingly, some really smart guys built those three kinds of chips (some of which are actually based on the same architecture) for three different reasons, and when you use them in the appropriate applications (surfing, gaming, and mobile) you are using your computing dollars most efficiently.
NitroZ
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: somegreekguy

Post by NitroZ »

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

u can check alot of games on this site. AOE 3 is in the list.

if u notice ur getting lag from cannons/warsips/smoke. u can download ekanta's UI mod and let it turn off particles(or something like that). the mod will get rid of any lag from cannons/warships/smoke.
download for mod is -----> http://www.geocities.com/ek4nt4/
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

very very good post indybrit, centrino was always ifnerior to normal pentium ones,

this sounds like spam from me but i had to say this

@Nitroz: this feature of making the game less laggy with disablign aprticles can be done manually too, all in all ekanta's will make the game lag a tiny bit more, since you see more of the map(transparent ;-) )