My Favorite Aztec Strategy

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

My Favorite Aztec Strategy

Post by etrips888 »

Hey guys. I played a few unrated games with Huggy a couple days ago using mostly aztec, and decided to share a strategy I used with everyone.

I find it to be fun and surprising for your opponent because whenever I face an aztec player, I always get the same 2SK, mace shipment rush, and don't even really have to scout all that much. I feel like I know exactly whats coming.

This strategy is a little different, more of a semi-FF to get some pretty strong (imo) fortress cards that the aztec gets. I picked it up and started using it some back before the FP after I saw Ourk do it, and only see it getting stronger in this new FP with the addition of more RR to coyotes and TC fire getting upgraded (against cav at least)

So the basic idea of this strategy is to get lots of coyotes, get lots of XP from the FP, upgrade those coyotes in fortress, send some jag and SK cards along with coyote combat, and then have some fun watching the mayhem that ensues. I find its pretty effective against boomy civs, and has some adaptability which is nice.

Age 1
Basic start. Build FP and a house with the wood crates, hopefully having one left over. Keep vill production going until you get enough to age sending 3 vills, while your WC is getting some good treasures. Wood is probably the best one to get, but food, gold and XP all are great. Have your WP on XP dance, and then age up with 17 vils or so. Should go with the 1 WH ageup.

Age 2
During the transition, get your vills to wood. Because your aging with the WH politician you probably don't need the usual 9-10 vills on wood that you would for the SK ageup. Instead have enough to get another house, but more importantly a market ASAP. If you got a gold crate at the start, use it to get at least the food and gold upgrade. If you didn't get a crate, and didnt get enough with treasures, send 2-3 vills to gather gold until you have enough.

Once you get to the second age I find I have 2 shipments ready, or at least very close to it. Put ur WH in a defensive position, and send 5 vills first to get a strong eco going. The next card I like sending 3 WP and start doing the WP dance to get all 6 ASAP (Once you get all 6, switch back to XP). Now while I'm doing these steps, I'm getting vills out, sending most to food, and making 5-10 coyotes with the WH that we got from the ageup. Use these to raid and harass your opponent, but don't lose them carelessly, they are useful later.

By the time I have those coyotes out, I like to look to aging up. I send most of my wood vills, maybe 10 or so to gold and send 600 gold. You can also delay your ageup time, send 4 vills, make more coyotes to pressure more, and try to get a better eco. When you get the resources you need, age up with the 3SK politician.

Age 3
During the transition, I would take all but maybe 5-6 vills off gold and put them on wood. Maybe even take some off food for wood because you need to start making lots of houses for the coyotes you are about to spam :D . As your aging, make as many coyotes as possible. Your going to need lots of food for this, so thats where most of your vills will be, but just keep making coyotes.

Once you hit the 3rd age, upgrade the coyotes and start sending some cards. The point of getting those WPs dancing was because you want as many shipments in fortress as you can. I love the aztec fortress shipments, especially the unlimited 5 jag shipment. Gives you lots of units very fast. I usually send 4 SK first, coyote combat if i havent sent it already, 5 jags, 10 coyotes..there really is no order to those cards.

Once you get a sizable force, I would attack. Make sure you have your 7 SKs and jags with your army. The beauty of this is that jags and SK seem to take out the HI and cav your opponent might have made, and the coyotes just seem to run everywhere and kill everything else :twisted: . Sks and jags give great siege as well once you take out his army.

This is explained in the best of situations with no heavy pressure, so it does need to be adapted when you actually use it. Start making maces, or send the 9 mace card if you are being pressured too hard by pikes. Make sure to harass with those coyotes, keep him busy while you get ready to age. Or just drop the idea of fortress and use your strong eco and just fight it out in colonial. :-P

This strategy is far from perfect, and my write up is probably even farther, so critique away. Huggy suggested I post it, and I hope some people find it interesting. Give me some tips on what might need clarification, or what I didn't explain and Ill add it in. I'm also going to post my game that I used this strat against Huggy. He said he didn't mind it being posted, and I hope thats still the case. Enjoy!

I actually just watched the rec right before posting, and I noticed I differed a bit from what I wrote down to what I actually did in the game. Just proves its hard to write a BO down that is concrete, and that this strat has room for improvisation. Anyway, hope you guys still enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: My Favorite Aztec Strategy

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

this is also one of my fav aztec strats, they have some cool units in age III
(just don't forget that some of the knights got nerfed this patch by getting colonial stats :( )
The hardest part is when to ship 600 coin and start aging, cuz it's easy to get stuck in age II if you build too many units.
good post
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

good write up etrips : just viewed your game , was nice to see another aztec player besides myself use the infinite 5 JPK card , definitely underrated card imho , interesting strat you used - i was wondering tho : have you ever incorporated the ruthlessness card into this? i couldn't help thinking how much more effective this strat may be if that card is used
- Dan
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Nice strat idea. I used to send 5 coyotes and build 5 for a mega raiding force, but the use of 5 settlers first does seem a more adaptable strat.
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Sounds like an "Aztec semi-FF." Would a TP help your cause at all? Oh wait... you guys have fire pits (Taunt 163 8) ).

Nice writeup, etrips. I think the beauty of this strat is: Who would ever expect an Aztec not to rush? The mace shipments are great insurance against anyone who tries to HI you to death at the beginning.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Sounds like an "Aztec semi-FF." Would a TP help your cause at all? Oh wait... you guys have fire pits (Taunt 163 8) ).

Nice writeup, etrips. I think the beauty of this strat is: Who would ever expect an Aztec not to rush? The mace shipments are great insurance against anyone who tries to HI you to death at the beginning.[/quote] +1 , its because of those mace shipments i always find myself playing as defensively as possible, if i saw the mace cards in your deck i would never expect a semi ff
- Dan
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

ill try to find a picture of the deck I've been using for this strat and post it.

@chaos-Good thing to point that out because I completely forgot about those nerfs to the knight units. But as I think i mentioned in the post that I find the strat boosted in other ways because coyotes are stronger now (more RR) and you can protect yourself from cav early on (thanks to the tc, and like I did against Huggy)

@dan-I actually don't have that card in any of my aztec decks strangely enough. Thats the one that boosts WH units against villagers right? I guess I never thought of putting it in because my priority is to take out the army in one big battle, but its probably a good idea to put the card in.

I also thought it would be interesting to add that many times, once people get around to the 8 min mark without seeing more than a few coyotes raiding, they are going to come at your base with everything they have. When this happens to me, one of my favorite tricks is to start aging, and try to distract the opponent as much as possible, letting your TC ageup. Hide some vills in the TC, put your WP in if you have to. But once you get close to aging, I love putting my WP in the TC, then popping them out along with ur ageup SK and then throwing any remaining army you have left at them. I am surprised every time at how strong WP can be once they get to age 3, they just end up being beastly, and most people underestimate them when they see coyotes, maces and SKs coming at them. Just a tip
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

too bad that coyotes are not really much stronger, forgot the 80% standardization?

you'll be busy if you keep updating this etrips, since there are hundreds of way how to approach and adapt etc. ;-)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

coyotes got boostd in RR% but all the counters got boosted too... so they got nerfed more than boosted afaik.
Before the pit nerf, I did often ship 3 WP and fencing school before aging to III, dance out 10WP's really fast and spam non-stop shipments in age III, gonna try it again and see if it's still good with the nerfed firepit :s
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
etrips888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by etrips888 »

Everyone keeps mentioning the 80% standardization, but I never know what people mean by it..

And I still find that the FP can effectively get out xp and boom with only 6 WP
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Good strat and good write up. Totally pwned me :P.