The Portuguese Colonial Bust- a Fanpatch 1.1 Strategy!

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

The Portuguese Colonial Bust- a Fanpatch 1.1 Strategy!

Post by TheRam »

Okay guys, when I get the time I think I will gets some recs up for this, but I want to share this so that if anyone is interested they can offer adaptions, or share their experiences with this.

This strategy is a colonial alternative for Portuguese and will only work in Fan Patch 1.1

So, here we go!

The Portuguese Colonial Bust

The Aim:
The aim is to age up faster than most other civs, and get a surprisingly fast (for your opponent) rush, shut down their eco whilst you semi-boom yours.

The Basic BO:
Discovery is standard, send up to 2 vills away from your TC for herding, this strategy will force you to eat through your natural resources faster than your opponent, so you want to make sure you have unraidable food at hand, and berries/mills are a definate no-no.
Age up with 13 Villagers.
During the age, stick 6 Villagers on Wood, 2 on Gold and 5 on Food. The reason for this is simple - you want to keep 2 or 3 vills on gold (depending on if you got gold treasures or crates) to make sure that throughout early colonial you can have a constant spam of Musketeers.
You will also need houses, so the 6 vills are effectively gathering for houses and a market - which I seriously reccomend getting all upgrades in early/mid Colonial.
Age with the 400w Politician.
Once aged, immediately ship your first card, which is 8 Xbows
Send your TC to the middle of the map, providing you have aged sooner and know for a fact there isn't an enemy Blockhouse or similar waiting there, versus most civs this should be 100% no problem, if there is a BH hang it back and stick it infront of the furthest hunt you can.
Use a forward villager (or multiple, if you're already gathering from near your FB) to get 2 Barracks up right behind or next to your 2nd Town Centre, using the wood you get from the age.
You will need to build houses ASAP, and a market place for good measure.
Second shipment will be ready, que this up as 700 wood, as this is also key to the strategy.
The moment you have your 8 Xbows send them to your forward base, stick them in a control group with your explorer (in early rushes it is always helpful to have a high HP tank) and que up as many Musketeers as your economy will allow, usually 5 is a good batch because you can start building before your 2nd Barracks is complete.
Once you have this initial army push, and this is where the strategy flies off at different tangents because it is a rock paper scissors counter system everyone should know by now. To give a quick example of timings, I had this 8 Xbow + 5 Musk in an Iro opponents base at the same time he had 5 Toma and the Kanya shipment just coming out.

Early Colonial - what to do once you've pushed.
As soon as you enter your enemies base you will most likely be confronted by a Barracks/Stable/Warhut etc and it will become apparent what they are building, you will have an army that's easily capable of shooting down villagers and generally before your opponent has as large an army as you - as I said, I outmassed Iro early game.
If they have gone for some kind of LI then immediately use the extra wood from the 700w shipment and build some Xbows, remember I said to ship 700w? Well that is exactly why.
You can also build a stables with this extra wood, and build Hussar. Which is extremely effective.
Your aim is to kill any herding/hunting villagers, cut off a players food and they cannot build troops nor villagers, and then your only real objective is to destroy their Military production buildings and shipped units.

Cards you will need, and why.
This is going to be rather in depth, so please if you want to use this strat read this section, it will be very useful.
Discovery:
Colonial Militia - This is to be used when you feel like your FB is going to be pushed, simply ship this card and market place/shift villagers to attain 400 Food and Coin, if an enemy pushes your 2 Barracks and Town Centre then 15 Minutemen will quite often slaughter everything they have, or at least seriously damage them.
Economic Theory - When stuck in Colonial Age this card is nice, with +10% gather rates across the board it will help you outboom your opponent even further.
Land Grab - I always have this card in every deck, once you are in late colonial onwards and run out of hunts it is horrible playing 400w for each Mill and 600w for each Plantation. This solves this problem more than adequately.

Colonial:
8 Xbows - This is pivitol to the strategy, simple. It allows you to push and beats down high siege HI pushes easily.
700 Food - I usually ship this after 700w, as it provides a quick boost to the resource you desperately need for 75f Muskets and allows you to maintain your 2 TC boom. Remember to have at least 5 vills on coin if you ship this, or you wont be able to source the coin for your Musket spam.
700 Wood - Use it for Houses, use it for a Stable, use it for Outposts (which is very important on large but food rich maps) or use it for additional LI in your push, very versatile.
700 Coin - If you see a lot of LI ship this immediately, It'll cover the coin cost of 7 Hussar.
Ranged Infantry Attack & Ranged Infantry Defense (Team) - Simple, you mass muskets and then give them huge boosts, you will get a lot of shipments for this rush and having these cards is absolutely required, Musks with this shipments + Advanced Arsenal upgrades and Hussars will demolish almost anything in Colonial, and when upgraded Fortress too.

Fortress:
1000 Wood - Wood is useful, simple.
1000 Coin - Coin is useful, get some Organ Guns, or fuel some more cavalry spam.
Refridgeration/Royal Mint - Boom boom boom, +25% is huge.
Fort - I love Forts, if you stick one of these along with your FB or to the sides of the maps on hunts it allows map control, which makes you win.
Military Shipments - All of them are good, 2 Organ Guns vs mass infantry is brutal, 5 Goons vs cav is a life saver and 4 Mams is still a viable shipment.
Generally Fortress shouldn't be necassary, so don't fret too much and go for staple cards.

Thanks very much for reading this and I hope you have good luck with my strategy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheRam on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alanriah
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: The Portuguese Colonial Bust- a Fanpatch 1.1 Strategy!

Post by Alanriah »

Sounds nice! Thanks man i'll give it a try.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

very well written and thought out camel , this guide will be a great tool for people to understand how fp ports can work in a rush :D
- Dan
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""deadhanddan""]very well written and thought out camel , this guide will be a great tool for people to understand how fp ports can work in a rush :D[/quote]
Thanks, the main thing I think is that Portugeuse are really as good as most other civs in colonial now, the hunting dogs automatically genuinely helps with the food issues when double TC spamming, the main thing is that to get a good eco in colonial you HAVE to use resource shipments, because 2 TCs making vills nonstop 30seconds to a minute before your oponent makes up for the lack of villager shipments surprisingly fast.
You will get more resource, much like when you play brit - but you really have to work to make it count.
Intensive play, but more rewarding in my opinion.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

only one mistake, plantations are 600w now. so i guess that would be 360w for plantation which makes it even more op
i kinda have a feeling that port will rock in 1.1

but i also got a feeling that i will try them out along with otto(what i did yesterday)
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

I might actually try this out, It wold be great if you could give some rough times as to when you hit your opponents base or w/e though.
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Hit your opponents base early, just don't expect to siege a TC.
Additional information - don't try it vs a port FF.
Or at least, don't try it vs a port FF when you're half asleep and don't get any food ;)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

try that against my super rush, and your 2nd TC will never get up ;)

well written strat and looks solid too. Ports are gonna be a real contender, if not the dominant civ in 1.1
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

good start cammel.......i will try this

out
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]try that against my super rush, and your 2nd TC will never get up ;)

well written strat and looks solid too. Ports are gonna be a real contender, if not the dominant civ in 1.1[/quote]
Super rush as which civ? That's pretty vague.
VS civs like China which can potentially age faster I age with 12 vills, and if they up before my TC is at the center then move it back a little and you're fine, any HI rush (capable of killing a building TC) is stomped by my slightly faster 8 xbow shipment.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Cammel""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]try that against my super rush, and your 2nd TC will never get up ;)

well written strat and looks solid too. Ports are gonna be a real contender, if not the dominant civ in 1.1[/quote]
[/quote]

Ports!!! :twisted:
ask around, you'll find some victims
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""][quote=""Cammel""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]try that against my super rush, and your 2nd TC will never get up ;)

[/quote]

ask around, you'll find some victims[/quote]why u gotta bring up those painfull memories???? :cry: hahaha its good no arguments here , but i have been cooking up an ''anti-port'' strat that i'm hoping to test very soon :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
- Dan
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Chaos if I see you online we can do battle, post your BO if you're confident and I'll check the timing for it vs my strat.
deaconferal
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
AOE3 Nickname: Deacon

Post by deaconferal »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""][quote=""Cammel""][quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]try that against my super rush, and your 2nd TC will never get up ;)

[/quote]

ask around, you'll find some victims[/quote]

I would absolutely love to watch you guys play this game out. 8)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""Cammel""]Chaos if I see you online we can do battle, post your BO if you're confident and I'll check the timing for it vs my strat.[/quote]

I age up at 3.30 approx, but many small things like food treasures, starting crates, cows etc... can affect this a little.
Rax is up at 4.00 (i'm working on it to be up at 3.45) with musks, pikes or xbows coming out soon, follow by a military shipment (8 xbows or 6 musks). As soon as the 2nd TC is up, a batch of MM can help if needed.
I'm planning on writing a BO for it, but it ain't finished yet.