Funny Screenshots

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Wetmelon
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Funny Screenshots

Post by Wetmelon »

Well, the other funny screenshot topic is old enough that Drew's originals are no longer hosted, so I'm just going to link to it and start afresh :)

Link to Old Screenshot Topic

So this set of screenshots go together, look carefully for the significance.

The Duel

The Result - a Tie? (Note that the villager is actually still alive under there)

Stupid villager - lived w/ 0 hp left and kept gathering! GAH!
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Funny Screenshots

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

it's the sheep! it turned evil and backstabbed the chinese monk
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

NOOB TIP: Cossacks are NOT light cavalry!

http://www.elorating.com/portal/portal/ ... game_freak
James246
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by James246 »

Hahaha. Epic fail :P
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Note to self: Don't get drunk when you get to PR36+
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

i doubt that he is drunk...
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]i doubt that he is drunk...[/quote]

me2, some people, even good players or so-called good players, don't know facts of the game which an intermediate player knows

cossacks are called like that becaues they are weak hand cav, tehy just should have used the word "weak" to avoid any misinterpretations

btt, here's one that i dedicate to our beloved officer l&c :-P

cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

I really should have screenied the game before where he used xbows vs cossack...and lost for obvious reasons, only to follow-up with that screeny :P
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

For a guy with 2100 ELO to think that Cossacks are light cav, I'm amazed he's as high-ranked as he is... oh wait, he noob-bashes in 10 TR. How honorable :mad:

Still, I understand the confusion. The tags ESO uses when you float the mouse over a card are not always consistent with the true counter system, which you can investigate through the UI readout. For example, uhlans, hussars and cossacks show up as "light cavalry" when you look at the card, but in counter system terms, they are "heavy cav," against which RI does reduced damage. Real "light cav" is always ranged cav in counter system terms. RI SHOULD counter them, but when dragoons have 30% RR, the counter system often breaks down on this score.

From a historical perspective, the term "heavy cavalry" means "shock cavalry" intended to charge enemy infantry at melee and break their formations. It was first systematically used by Alexander the Great. If you understand the history, you will never mistake heavy cav for what it is in AOE terms, too.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Well. I'm a noob. I have to ask you a question Kaiser -- if uhlans, hussars, and cossacks are indeed heavy cav -- what on earth is classified as light cav?

I always thought it went like this:
-Any melee cav available in age ii was considered light cav (the above)
-Any melee cav available in age iii is heavy cav -> lancers, opris, curs, etc.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""36drew""]Well. I'm a noob. I have to ask you a question Kaiser -- if uhlans, hussars, and cossacks are indeed heavy cav -- what on earth is classified as light cav?

-Any melee cav available in age iii is heavy cav -> lancers, opris, curs, etc.[/quote]

Ha ha! I had no idea this stuff caused so much confusion.

I will start with the history. Believe it or not, the guys at Ensemble did their military history homework before they created this game; and they did it well. Unlike heavy cav, light cav was considered "pursuit cav" that harassed the enemy with ranged fire and stayed out of range. In AOE 3 terms, light cav is ranged cav that is good against other cav. You'll notice that light cav in AOE is faster than heavy cav, and that is because they are supposed to have less armor than their heavy cav counterparts. So, again in AOE 3 terms, "light cav" includes dragoons, cav archers, bow riders, rifle riders and war wagons. Yet there is a problem here, because there is no consistency in ranged resistance. Dragoons get RR, while all the other light cav gets hand resistance. In my view, this throws off the counter system. If light cav counters heavy cav (a melee unit) it should resist the TYPE OF DAMAGE inflicted by the counter, ie, hand damage. Yet dragoons resist against RANGED damage, and heavy cav does not do ranged damage. Rather, RI does ranged damage, and often light cav can easily beat RI in large numbers. Just play against a Port player late-game to see that dragoons cannot be stopped by ANY unit when fully pimped.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

[quote=""36drew""]Well. I'm a noob. I have to ask you a question Kaiser -- if uhlans, hussars, and cossacks are indeed heavy cav -- what on earth is classified as light cav?

-Any melee cav available in age iii is heavy cav -> lancers, opris, curs, etc.[/quote]

i think i got the answer to this... the counter system purely works through the Classification "Tag" a unit possesses

i read from a post in agesanctuary that there is more to the counter system what most people don't know, let me show it through this example:
Yumi counter Ruyters, but since Ruyters are classified as Cavalry AND Light Cavalry, Yumi 2x modificator is decreased a little bit, so abus, yumis, xbows etc. are not what they crack to be considering this.
This applies, i guess, to Mahouts too, teh got a multiplicator to Infantry, which a musket and a an xbow is, but since xbows are ranged infantry and muskets heavy infantry (+ infantry with range), mahouts got a penalty vs muskets, but this penalty is not as "hard" as a hussar has got his penalty vs a musket.

Conclusion:
the classifications: ranged cavalry and ranged infantry are not used to measure counters, they are purely made of accuracys sake

what you pointed out drew ;) , is more a tip for beginners, by using the words "high" and "light" they really mean "strong" and "weak", like the hussar is "light" cavalry and the cuirrassier is "heavy" cavalry, where in terms of aoe3 unit classification both are Heavy Cavalry

its just so that beginners know which units are stronger and which are weaker
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^ Well right. I just always think of heavy has having bonuses like 10% more RR, not a difference in terms of counters for the reasons you have mentioned. I was aware of multiple multipliers in effect too. :)
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Not to ask the obvious, but does it matter what classification something is as long as we know light/heavy cav >> skirms/archers...?
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^ Hmm. LoL.