General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

News Item - Robot Entertainment

Post by Soccerman771 »

Discuss.

By the way, I just found out that ES was based in yup - Dallas: http://techblog.dallasnews.com/
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: News Item - Robot Entertainment

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

"Stay tuned. We have some big ideas"

it completely looks like they won't make further game for the age of empires series. this new, innovative things they gonan do in the future, as the game studios always say, is never an oldfashioned brand they suceeded in.

i wonder what they are going to create, i guess it will take a lot of time since we get further details :-)
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Interesting Link

After a bit of research on this subject I found an interesting sentence on the link above;

'a leaked internal announcement mentioned that the Ensemble leadership would form a new studio that would offer support for Halo Wars as well as develop new projects (presumably new installments of Age of Empires or Halo Wars)'

This didnt take much digging around, but people for people who are interested in seeing what ROBOT Entertainment will offer;
ROBOT Entertainment

Another Interesting Link

This also supports Age of Empires continuing, with the Senior Director of 'Games for Windows' saying;

[quote=""Kevin Unangst, Senior Director of 'Games for Windows'""]As a company, we’re very excited about the future potential for Age of Empires, and as a PC gamer I’m looking forward to what that future holds. Stay tuned.[/quote]

Personally I think its great news, I dont care who takes it on, whether it being ROBOT Entertainment, or Microsoft(I cant seem to find anywhere if Microsoft owpened ROBOT E.).

The only problems is during my surfing, I found that Age3 led on from Age2, so I can only guess that Age4 would lead on from Age3 which would probably end up being Aeroplanes, Submarines, Machine Guns etc that that the world wars had :-/ obviously this is just a theory, but to me I think this is whats going to happen.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
James246
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by James246 »

I don't like the name "Robot Entertainment"... Robotronics sounds cooler :)

I hope that they dont make an AoE4.

There are WAYYYY to many of those WW1 and WW2 games.... No point doing this.

IMO, an AoE1 or AoE2 remake with improved features and active community would be better.
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Theres nothing wrong with an agestyle WW2 battle, we could have it halowars based (i.e. one unit is a group of several units) so we don't get 50 suicide bombers charging into Berlin.

The reason AOE series was so successful was the unique style the game was made in, it just isn't the same as other games, although I can't seem to figure out what :P
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

If you seen the DVD making of aoe3 none of the staff wanted to make a world war game.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

U never know what M$ will do with the AOE series. They can do it like EA and getting out endless AOE games every two years without much support or they can continue like this with the old ES staff. We will have to see what will happen
James246
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by James246 »

AoE3 Expansion Pack FTW.
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

[quote=""cheesehat""]Theres nothing wrong with an agestyle WW2 battle, we could have it halowars based (i.e. one unit is a group of several units) so we don't get 50 suicide bombers charging into Berlin.

The reason AOE series was so successful was the unique style the game was made in, it just isn't the same as other games, although I can't seem to figure out what :P[/quote]

I agree here. However, the beautiful thing about AOE3 is that you are starting from scratch. You get a TC and vils to start a colony and then expand. How would you do that with WWI & II with established nations??
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

AoE3 allows you to shape the game the way you want it.

Mixing SimCity and Command and Conquer, if you will.

I don't think many people would be interested in a WW1/2 based RTSG. I mean, look at Call of Duty.

CoD5 is selling less copies than CoD4 did, strengthening that theory.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""Hydrovert5""]

CoD5 is selling less copies than CoD4 did, strengthening that theory.[/quote]

remember that cod5 is the same game engine as cod4 so they are all most the same game.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

be nice to see an aoe1+2 remake with aoe3's superb engine at its heart
- Dan
James246
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by James246 »

I agree.

AoE1 Remake FTW! Go Robot go!
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

I agree. Does anyone else miss having to collect stone as well - and building storeage pits ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""ruminator""]I agree. Does anyone else miss having to collect stone as well - and building storeage pits ...[/quote] ah the good ol' days, when u had to mass farms around a granary, walls had no gates, towers were op, phalanx was the doppelsoldners evil ancestor, and priests w/ polygamy tech were the most op unit in the game...aoe1 my vote :D
- Dan