interesting fanpatch changes

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: interesting fanpatch changes

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Ottos are just boring in team games, just spam abus and use attack move and say 'look at me I'm OP'. There is not even an eco to manage. I was in a 4v4 last night where two of my allies spammed abus and it was just boring. I decided to stop making anti cav after 10mins to give the other team a chance and because quite frankly I wasn't needed. If it weren't for the fact Sporting was on the other team there would have been very little point in playing at all. Luckily half the players dropped so it became interesting again.
MNBob
Honorary Officer

Post by MNBob »

The fan patch update has not listed the abus gun changes yet.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

^ But there will be changes, interesting, so i will never win a 1v1 again! :-(
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Current Millet System: 100 wood, -5 training points, age1
New Millet System: 125 wood, 125 food, 125 coin, -5 training points+2 settlers, age2

Difference: 25 wood, 125 coin and 125 food for 2 settlers.

With an age 1 mosque now gone, Ottos are once again only competitive on TP maps.

I highly doubt this change will make Otto OP, heck Spain can just send two settlers WITHOUT paying 25 wood, 125 coin and 125 food and they arent OP.
James246
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by James246 »

Ottos are just boring in team games, just spam abus and use attack move and say 'look at me I'm OP'. There is not even an eco to manage. I was in a 4v4 last night where two of my allies spammed abus and it was just boring. I decided to stop making anti cav after 10mins to give the other team a chance and because quite frankly I wasn't needed. If it weren't for the fact Sporting was on the other team there would have been very little point in playing at all. Luckily half the players dropped so it became interesting again.
Lol... Otto's are not OP. On TAD FP atm, they are quite frankly UP, therefore they are being boosted. If someone on the other team had raided you a bit, you would of been gone.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Ottos might not be OP but abus sure as hell are and that's all ottos do in team games. Even if you do get raided it doesn't matter because nothing kills properly guarded abus and so you barley need any eco as you are not losing that many in the first place.
James246
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by James246 »

True, but...

Abus are still expensive though, so all the enemy has to do is keep you off your gold mine and gg.
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

I am sure there are many ways to beat the otto player but it doesn't change the fact that abus guns are OP.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I am sure there are many ways to beat the otto player but it doesn't change the fact that abus guns are OP.[/quote]

Agreed... especially in large team games. 1v1 is a different story. Otto's weak econ makes early abus lamage dangerous, since they must choose between Jannies (food heavy) and abus (gold heavy). In team, however, that issue is moot. They go full-on abus while their mate does tomas or some hellish anti-cav.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I am sure there are many ways to beat the otto player but it doesn't change the fact that abus guns are OP.[/quote]

Agreed... especially in large team games. 1v1 is a different story. Otto's weak econ makes early abus lamage dangerous, since they must choose between Jannies (food heavy) and abus (gold heavy). In team, however, that issue is moot. They go full-on abus while their mate does tomas or some hellish anti-cav.[/quote]
It's really not all that hard to get abus/janni, it's about as risky as any other strat otto have and it's dominating QS quite effectively atm.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

If you remember my 1v1s last season i went unbeaten, mostly with my otto strat, they are pretty strong 1v1 atm but i agree they are way OP in team games, i only play them in team games when i miss my beloved abus guns.
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Ottos on sea are top civ, uber eco with uber army - gg
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Cammel""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I am sure there are many ways to beat the otto player but it doesn't change the fact that abus guns are OP.[/quote]

Agreed... especially in large team games. 1v1 is a different story. Otto's weak econ makes early abus lamage dangerous, since they must choose between Jannies (food heavy) and abus (gold heavy). In team, however, that issue is moot. They go full-on abus while their mate does tomas or some hellish anti-cav.[/quote]
It's really not all that hard to get abus/janni, it's about as risky as any other strat otto have and it's dominating QS quite effectively atm.[/quote]

I hate that combo. Just put 'em in one big control group and hit attack-move. Done deal.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""Cammel""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""Blackadderthe4th""]I am sure there are many ways to beat the otto player but it doesn't change the fact that abus guns are OP.[/quote]

It's really not all that hard to get abus/janni, it's about as risky as any other strat otto have and it's dominating QS quite effectively atm.[/quote]

I hate that combo. Just put 'em in one big control group and hit attack-move. Done deal.[/quote]
That's actually true.
The real problem as an otto 1v1-er is getting the right balance of janni-abus.
Because if you lose your army and aren't going fort at same time or something it's insta-GG.
You have to remember their econ is weak and you can AFFORD to be losing more troops - unless it's a water map.
In response to James - it's a lot easier to say 'take out the ottos econ' than to do it. 4v4s aren't a good example because they are lagfests where combos count less and OP troops win it.
But in 3v3s/2v2s if you spend all your efforts raiding an ottoman, your forward base will get rolled and you will lose.
If you send little raids it'll have an impact, but not much - and if you lose your cav to some cleverly placed jannis/pikes/whatever then you're just losing the troops that can actually beat the abus when micro'd efficiently.
The (practical) way to beat ottos in a team game is to focus LI directly on any and all anticav, then barrel in your cav.
You'll lose all your LI, and probably some of your cav, but it works best.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

[quote=""cheesehat""]Current Millet System: 100 wood, -5 training points, age1
New Millet System: 125 wood, 125 food, 125 coin, -5 training points+2 settlers, age2

Difference: 25 wood, 125 coin and 125 food for 2 settlers.

With an age 1 mosque now gone, Ottos are once again only competitive on TP maps.
[/quote]

On paper this looks bad but in game i think this could work as you all ready be collecting food/gold and you only need 25 wood more for the whole upgrade.

But I am with you on this one as i feel otto will only been good on tp maps due to the high cost so early.

I havnt got a clue how to fix abus guns as otto is more of a strong army civ due to the bad eco but how about inceasing the training time of them?