Sliding downhill.

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Sliding downhill.

Post by Warlord678 »

The games I have played recently are frustrating. I can't seem to get an edge on anyone that I play. Do any of you ever feel like your skill is going downhill? I'm starting to get bored in a sense you could say. Possibly playing a different civ would help.

Just wanted to rant. :mad:
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Sliding downhill.

Post by TheRam »

No I am always high-skill and win.
Check my ELO. Noone understands it.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

there are always ups and downs, it's a long race, and in the end, it is always against yourself^^

you should stop playing too much against me :P

nah jk, ye another civ would help, preferably not a turtling/booming one, (go asia!), or some 1v1s?

yes i had that too, mostly through my like ~50 rated random 3v3 sergeants-master sergeants games.
i didn't know how to behave like game, this clans clan games helped me on that lol ty guys :-)
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Aye like Aaryn said, sometimes you just go through bad patches, but at the same time you go through good spells too. Just take your time, chill, and it'll all come back...
yeedman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by yeedman »

Don't worry warlord. When your nearing 50 ( like me), everygame I play it seems like my skills are diminishing. Eyes are going, motor skills are going, reflexes are going, etc, etc. It's just mother nature. Face it your getting older and older every game you play. :D
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

listen to Yeedman, the ancient gamer ;)

dont worry warlord, maybe post a few recs so we can check em out and guide you a bit and help you to improve. Playing for fun (unrated clan games or comp stomps) could cheer up your day too :D
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Yes, Warlord, I have felt like you feel now. But I agree with everyone who has already posted here: You will have ups and downs in this game. Your confidence will come and go. My advice is to remember that this is the nature of AOE 3. You will feel worse if you start caring about rating too much. IF you set obsessive winning goals, you inevitably put pressure on yourself. When things do not go according to your expectations, you pay for it in emotional pain.

To counteract these negative emotions, remember that AOE 3 is a game. I know that's a cliche, but it really applies here. It is a game. Being part of N3O helps me remember that, and I really enjoy it now because I know there is no pressure, either from myself or from others. Being alone on ESO, however, is a harrowing experience. When you are surrounded by teenage strivers obsessed with PR and winning, you naturally feel pressured. You can escape that mentality by staying true to the clan. And when you chill, your game improves dramatically. I, for one, have definitely improved my play with about 500 clan games so far... I just feel comfortable with it now. Every time I play, I do not wonder: "Oh no, my PR might sink .11 if I lose." Now, I just concentrate on the game; whatever happens happens, and I know I'll have fun with my friends. I've gotten pretty darn good with build orders and hotkeys, too ;)

Who has time for stress from a GAME? I have enough stress from LIFE! That's my watchword.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Kaiser that post is legendary. I couldn't agree more my friend.

A game is just that - developed to provide enjoyment, not obsession with statistics or PR.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Anytime I'm in a slump (which is anytime I play 1v1 :P ) I go and grab a random build order from a strat page somewhere and just blindly play that a few times. That always seems to free up my locked thinking and get the juices flowing again. Just try something different and you may learn some stuff - when that happens to me I'm losing anyway, so why not lose while stretching a bit?

This might be a good time to try that pioneers-blunderbuss villie rush you know you've been thinking about.
rambo098
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rambo098 »

For me Aoe3 is like playing poker. You got poket A,A´s, then comes the flop and you got another A, along with 2 an 4. you go all in. Everyone folds exept one guy. The turn is a 6. Then comes the river and its a 2. SWEET i won you are thinking. What happend? The other guy got poket 2,2 and he takes the pot.

A tiny mistake which lead to total disaster accord somewhere along the line which you hade no idea about, eaxactly like aoe3...

Anyone got the point? :)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""rambo098""]For me Aoe3 is like playing poker. You got poket A,A´s, then comes the flop and you got another A, along with 2 an 4. you go all in. Everyone folds exept one guy. The turn is a 6. Then comes the river and its a 2. SWEET i won you are thinking. What happend? The other guy got poket 2,2 and he takes the pot.

A tiny mistake which lead to total disaster accord somewhere along the line which you hade no idea about, eaxactly like aoe3...

Anyone got the point? :)[/quote]

No
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

at least with poker you can blame the lousy cards ;)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Hydrovert5""]Kaiser that post is legendary. I couldn't agree more my friend.

A game is just that - developed to provide enjoyment, not obsession with statistics or PR.[/quote]

Haha, thank you, Hydro. Just for a laugh, it would be fun to repost my post on Age Sanc. I don't think I would get such a warm reception over there for such anti-rated-winning sentiments. :-P
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)