Question for our British contingent

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Question for our British contingent

Post by IndyBrit »

I drink OP amounts of coffee right now and I'm trying to cut back. I'm thinking tea is a good alternative. So anyone want to weigh in on what a total tea noobster should know about tea to do this modestly well? I live in Indiana, so our tea selection may be not what you'd have in say, London.

Also - I prefer my coffee and/or tea with no frills (sugar, milk, etc). Primarily, this is because I'm a slob and those things make it sticky when you spill it on yourself. 8O

What should I be looking for in a decent tea? Any recommendations? Can I get it shipped over the internet without having King George rake me over the coals?
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Re: Question for our British contingent

Post by cleeduz »

Indy, I know next to nothing about tea. But, recently made the switch from Coffee to Chai Tea. It's not bad stuff, worth a try perhaps... ::/
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Black tea is one of the people's favorites I think.
StrokeyBlofeld
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by StrokeyBlofeld »

Well, I live in the UK and tea-drinking normaly includes milk, although there are the odd few who drink it black. Personaly, it depends on how refined your pallet is. A standard "off-the-shelf" tea bag such as tetley is quite nice for a regular daily intake. (5 or 6 cups a day etc). If your looking for something a little more delicate then you need to look for some specific lines such as Earl Grey or Darjeeling or Jasmine.

Here is an interesting site you may like to check out:

UK Tea Council
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

Earl Grey Tea is pretty bog standard stuff, I mean that's what you're looking for if you say 'tea'.
A bit of a posh brand is 'twinings' but if you're looking for british tea, and brands like 'pg tips' and 'tetleys' are all pretty much the same thing.
If you're looking for something more exotic then I am of no help.
Also, tea has less caffiene, not hugely less... but less.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Green Tea is supposed to rock the anti-oxidants as well. I'm not a tea-drinker, though. I have in my desk drawer some Bigelow's green tea with lemon, and it's "ok". Not too strong of a flavor of anything, really.

Still...it's not coffee. I love me some coffee, and straight black is the only way. Not because of your reasons, Indy, but because sugar makes it disgusting, and milk....tastes like warm milk. blech. Give it to me straight.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Oooo, a tea party? Rascal, want to come along?

"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

Come to Texas and I'll make you the best glass of sweet COLD - ICE tea you've ever had!!!!

Yes, ICE COLD tea. That ought to make the guys "across the pond" a little sick, mwuhahahahahahahahahah!
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Yeah Rascal, agreed, sugar totally ruins coffee. I still can't drink most tea without sugar tho ^^
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Yorkshire teabag with milk, one sugar nuff said.

P.S. for an OP tea moment check this video at around 1:25.
Last edited by Blackadderthe4th on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
adeadmanrunning
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by adeadmanrunning »

depends soccer do u mean sweetened or unsweetened? me i like unsweetened. but i love ice tea or root bear, since i cant drink alcohol yet.
"You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way."
Will Rogers

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

[quote=""RascalJones""]Green Tea is supposed to rock the anti-oxidants as well. I'm not a tea-drinker, though. I have in my desk drawer some Bigelow's green tea with lemon, and it's "ok". Not too strong of a flavor of anything, really.

Still...it's not coffee. I love me some coffee, and straight black is the only way. Not because of your reasons, Indy, but because sugar makes it disgusting, and milk....tastes like warm milk. blech. Give it to me straight.[/quote] i am in agreement 100%, altho i do have a soft spot for french vannilla, that stuff on certain days hits the spot, idk but for me i have to intake at least some caffeine, with all the half-witted teenage drivers loose upon american roadways, need to be as alert as i can be
- Dan
jonesk
Private
Private

Post by jonesk »

Ice lemon tea is great in hot climates, not sure about Indiana though lol
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

I knew there had to be a UK tea council! That is a pretty good link Strokey.

I think I'm going to start on Earl Grey. I want to look at Josh and go - "Tea, Earl Grey, hot." He will probably just stare back at me for a second and go outside though.
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

[quote=""adeadmanrunning""]depends soccer do u mean sweetened or unsweetened? me i like unsweetened. but i love ice tea or root bear, since i cant drink alcohol yet.[/quote]

South of the Mason-Dixon line, there is no "unsweetened." There is only tea. Iced, and about 50% sugar. Unless Soccer wants to argue that. :D