Muskets into melee vs Gendarme

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Muskets into melee vs Gendarme

Post by lordandcount »

In the case you have musketeer vs gendarme you should do some in melee and the other stay ranged, you shouldn't do it full ranged or full melee, but that is what I think.
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

If you keep them all in ranged they change automatically to melee once the gendarme reach them, it makes more sense to get that extra shot off than to be charging back at the gendarme
lordandcount
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by lordandcount »

But when they try to flee you get some extra shots cuz the musketeers in melee slow them down and they do quite some more damage in melee
NEO_CrAz3n wrote: L&C is sorta the N3O police.
I'm the most annoying officer
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Damage in range: 50~ dmg every 3 secs

Damage in melee: 29x3=87 dmg every 1.5 secs, making 174 every 3 secs.

This is why we think arguing around this is rather useless :p
JKL4LiF3
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JKL4LiF3 »

the reason what makes gendarmes strong is the 2 area attack. look at the british king hussar, they have 72 attack fully upgraded, and 900 hp. they have no area attack, but would 50 king hussars beat 50 muskets? they might, but if they do, they would have like, 10 hussars left. so the real damage from gendarmes is from the area attack with 66 attack, even though the 1150 hp helps them, the attack is strong vs. anything.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

You forgot hussars cost the double the price of musketeers.
JKL4LiF3
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JKL4LiF3 »

but 40 gendarmes vs. 50-100 muskets.

50 hussar vs. 50-100 muskets.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

You have 40 gendarmes because you can only have 80 coureurs, leaving 120 pop, cuirs are 3 pop. Other euros have 99 vills, so they can have 101 muskets because they cost 1 pop :) That's all, and no matter how you put it, insta cuirs>>all just for the fact that they're instant and they're nature freaks with 1150 hp and 66 atk with 2 area of attack. I know how many FFA's I won with the help of cuirs and skirmishers. Cheaper insta cuirs>>2 pop cuirs, silly ES.
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

The damage is not the point, if gendarme are charging at you it would make a hell of a lot more sense to SHOOT THEM FIRST before charging back.

That is how Gendarme>Honoured FU ashi somehow
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Ok but that's common sense, you shoot em first and then you go melee, not melee asap :p
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Just a request, I typed in Honoured (F) (U) ashi and it changed to Honoured getoutofhere ashi. Anyway we can change the filter system lol
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

If I have musks and c any kind of hand cav I will shoot at them untill they charge me. Once they do that I will automatically switch to melee mode, especially if I have the arsenal upgrade. Sportings damage calculations easily prove that that is the most cost/damage efficient way of using musks.

out

PS 3 musks vs 5 hussars = musks in melee
30 musks vs 5 hussars = musks in melee
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

I never really use muskets against a gendarmene spammer. I usually just make halbs with dragoons. I find this combo to own them. If I had 100 muskets though and HAD to use muskets I would probably have them all shoot first, have the first 50 into melle and keep the back 50 shooting into them but everyone knows you never make all of one type of unit unless your lame Japanese with the uber fully upgraded muskets;.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

portuguese muskets fully upped are decent, 64 range attack, not sure of mellee, but with jinnettes in back with 3-5 rebualds own cav, idc what anyone says, rebaulds do work on cav when covered by a meatshield
- Dan
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""LaZy""] 3 musks vs 5 hussars = musks in melee
30 musks vs 5 hussars = musks in melee[/quote]

If you have 15 Musketeers vs 5 Hussar, much better to keep walking away (or towards if they're fleeing) and shooting. You can 1-shot a Hussar.

Whilst the damage dealt in Melee mode is significantly greater, putting a lot of Musketeers in Melee mode is almost always a questionable move when you could 1-shot cav, move backwards (thus decreasing hits on your front line) and always get all your units attacking.

Melee mode is pretty pointless, let the AI decide which should melee from the fact their getting attacked, and don't forget Muskets AREN'T Pikemen. They aren't supposed to be, they're an all round unit and they have high ranged attack, early game you should keep them in ranged vs cav in general, unless rigorously defendnig some abus or something and lategame you should never use them for the sole purpose of anticav, every civ has a dragoon type unit, or a doppel type unit, or in the case of China - incredibly high damage fully upgraded pikes.

Also, most of the time Cav wont confront your musks, better to have the extra attention used to cut them off, focus on your econ or whatever than switching modes.

When to use Melee
If you are near LI/canons/the pope (something that needs defending) and there is ONLY cav, but a great number of them - stand by the units you're defending, then go melee mode and attack move as they approach with additional micro.

/End rant.