Muskets into melee vs Gendarme

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

cheesehat

Muskets into melee vs Gendarme

Post by cheesehat »

I'm just having a big flam war with a wannabe pro that wants me to set my muskets onto melee vs gendarme. Is there any way I can own his azz and get him to shut up?

(Basically im trying to get somehelp flamming here :P)

On a more serious note, here is why I believe the melee vs gendarme does NOT work.

Situation A. You are behind an invicible wall (or an aztec wall). Your one musket will shoot at his 50000000 gendarme. Since gendarme cannot shoot, slowly but surely they will all die (unless your computer lags or overheats).

Situation B. You are behind a non invincible wall (Or a portuguese wall). You shoot the gendarme, then once the wall is down and the gendarme come charging into your muskies, their numbers would have been reduced substancially. Even now, DONT put your muskets on melee mode. Hand cavalry have bad pathing and are usually stuck behind each other. Your muskets at the front automatically switch to melee mode, and the ones at the back keep shooting. If you set them all to melee mode, then your pathing will be just as bad as the gendarme. Now, most of your muskets will be running around like headless chickens trying to get to the gendarme, while they could be shooting instead. MAKES A WHOLE LOT MORE SENSE TO USE ALL UR MUSKETS DOESNT IT.

Situation C. This is jut common sense. MUSKETS CAN SHOOT. If you cant hit something, you cant kill it. This is why Longbows>Yumis (get over it japan lamers). If you cant dam reach the muskets, you cant kill them. By putting the muskies on hand mode, you are taking away the ability to shoot and this making it an 'even' contest. Heck, you will still probably win, but why even give the opponent a CHANCE to win? Just stand behind ur aztec walls and fire away while they cant do crap to you.

The noob's arguments against me.

Why would gendarme be behind a wall? (Oh heck how else do u think they will get into ur base)

Muskets do 31x3 damage (bla bla nerd stuff here)...(But if you shoot THEN go melee mode, you do an extra volley of damage, wait for the gendarme to come charging into you. Use that time to shoot, even once, rather than suicide charging back. You will do an extra volley of damage, which is a fuccing lot)

Your just a *insertrandomcraphere* LTP and come back thanks for making urself look like an ******* (i.e. flamming me cos im right and he has no more arguments)

So...after all that flam, putting muskets on melee vs gendarme is WRONG, right?
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Muskets into melee vs Gendarme

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

does it matter? gendarmes pwn musks anyways :(

in general I only put musk-type units in melee when they are in a small number and easy to micro on a few cav, in all other cases, ranged dmg is fine.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Frontline muskets on melee, backline muskets on range.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Just set a couple to melee and keep the rest at ranged since the genadarmes can only attack 1 musket at a time and melee can attack a lot fast than ranged this should let you kill the genadarmes faster and he should then try to kill the melee units first if anything.

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Gendarmes can overwhelm muskets in sufficient numbers. The only time muskets can win occurs when the French player stretches his econ to the limit to get gendarmes early in Age 4 and can't really sustain the spam. In that case, massed muskets from, say, a strong British econ can win with melee or ranged fire (get all the arsenal upgrades, of course). But if the French econ is at the max, and they have all the upgrades and fast training cards in, muskets have no chance. They might only hit one musket at a time, but with 2 area damage and 900 HP in Age 4, they can walk right over 50 muskets. In Imperial it's even worse... 1150 HP and 66 attack.

Why do you think LB's are better than Yumis? Massed yumis are hands-down the best RI in the game with all those upgrades and daimyo/shogun/consulate/wonder boosts. In Age 3, for example, disciplined Yumis can do up to 36 damage and have almost 200 HP. By contrast, a veteran longbowman has a meager 114 HP and a measly 20 attack. I'd take the Yumis any day... if I played Japan, that is ;)
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
jonesk
Private
Private

Post by jonesk »

What about putting the muskets in stagger mode? Wouldn't that reduce the damage as multiple units aren't being hit?
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

[quote=""jonesk""]What about putting the muskets in stagger mode? Wouldn't that reduce the damage as multiple units aren't being hit?[/quote]
It would not help since the Gendarmes do not have an area attack only artillery, samurai, and skull knights can have area attack I think

Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Gendarmes have 2 area attack. spahi have 3 and tashunke prowlers. I'm unsure of
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Ohh and so do dopplesoldners. They have 2. And a Chinese cav unit also has area aswell as mahouts. Can't think of any more except for ships.
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

Ok, let me rephrase my flam.

If you HAD to use muskets vs Gendarme, would putting them to hand combat be BAD?
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

No, if they lose on melee they'd lose on range anyway. Make sure you research Flint Lock (?) research from arsenal to get extra 20% attack on melee.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

And for the fight to be fair you have to have 100 muskets against his 40 cuirs.
cheesehat

Post by cheesehat »

My point is that

A. Range avoids area damage, at least momentarily.
B. Shooting once THEN charging gives you an extra shot compared to if you charged right away. Let THEM come to you. Don't waste time going to them, if they want to win they have to come to you.
C. Putting them all onto melee creates pathing issues and you have like 30 muskets running around like headless chickens trying to find a gap, while they could be shooting.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

cheesehat, we get your point, but unless you specify in which scenario it all happens (midd game? imperial age?...), the answers are clear. If it's lategame and french has instant cuirs + solid eco, this whole topic is useless.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

vs. france in tr only way i would fight the gendarme spam would be to use a mixture of musket and dragoon, just make lots of rax, with train card and church mass army tech, then spam and spam the ''meatshield'' and let your dragoon do their thing, all musket army won't really work as being so slow, if the currasiers can get past em, no chance of muskets chasing them down, but dragoons can, not to mention dragoon range attack is way more efficient then musket range attack
- Dan