I am on the verge of cracking with this game

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I am on the verge of cracking with this game

Post by Highlander999 »

I don't know what has happened to me and my gameplay. I am almost on the verge of taking a break from the game. I have just lost all confidence in my gameplay. In all honesty I am barely playing to the standard of a master sergeant let alone Captain. I am just all over the place, I have villis idle or wandering of all over the map, my cav are attacking pikes and my infantry are no where to be seen. When I do have an advantage I just muck up. I was on New England today. Wiped the guy out he had only 2 villis. He was able to re-build on one of the islands whilst I faffed around not achieving anything whilst he launched raids against me and eventually won.

I have never been in such a bad rut in my whole ESO career as I have now and frankly just constantly losing is very depressing. My elo has shot down and I am already back down to 1st Lieutenant.

I don't know what has happened to me :(
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Re: I am on the verge of cracking with this game

Post by GeneralMichael »

Oooh sounds bad Highlander. Maybe this is a problem due to too much or a lack of alcohol(still don't know how that helps some of our members play better)

Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

alcohol<3333

try playing ottos :D
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

I might have to do that on Friday/Saturday night. Just get wrecked and see if that helps. I just checked Elo. Out of my last 10 games I have won 1...... :(
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Everyone goes through good and bad periods with this game, I'm sure its psychological. You just have take a break for a few days and return with a different state of mind (being drunk might count) or gain one well earned victory to boost your confidence. Hang in there and you will be through this rough patch in no time!
wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

now, you know, you should just take a break from rated supremacy for an evening. Play something were it doesn't matter if you lose or not. because now you are playing bad because your are frustrated with your losing streak.

so i would say play a 3v3 clan game (unrated) i did it 3 times and even i lost two of them it's fun.
play treaty; just boom; and spam (non brainer)

Or better play a 1v1 deatmatch against your clanmate wicked_assassin ;) (i have trouble finding oponents in dm btw)

Afther one of the options you will feel refreshed and you wil own for sure ;)
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

[quote=""wicked_assassin""]
so i would say play a 3v3 clan game (unrated) i did it 3 times and even i lost two of them it's fun.
play treaty; just boom; and spam (non brainer)
[/quote]

Wait what do you mean by treaties being a no brainer. I end up using a lot of strategy... well maybe only on the ones where it is really close do I use my brain. Like that 4 hour long one I played once. My team only won because the other guys team had to go to bed since they had to work in the morning. Though i do like those ones cause I usually end with all my little tricks :twisted:

wicked_assassin
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by wicked_assassin »

[quote=""GeneralMichael""]
well maybe only on the ones where it is really close do I use my brain. Like that 4 hour long one I played once. [/quote]

sounds more like a game where you determine who has a better stamina :D . But mayby i shouldn't have said it lol. If you see that quite a big part plays treaty on a regular basis in this clan.

so topic maker you just need to do something else then supr for an evening 8)

ps: take my tird option ;)
JKL4LiF3
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JKL4LiF3 »

i beat u today. :)

http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameS ... _Supremacy

OWNED!

xD :P

but that raid did mess us ( my team ) up, but i was fish booming. xD
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

It's easy to get tired and lose focus/concentration in this game. Don't forget that age of empires, when played with dedication, is a game that requires a great effort to control many things at the same time while keeping timings on everything while keeping an eye on what the opponent does too. So just take a rest and play some unrateds first next time, I'm sure you'll do alright ;)
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

It happens a lot during your career with AoE.

When I was playing this game, I had a few spells where I was playing badly, but as Chris said, win one game against a similar rank and you'll soon be on form.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Tom, if your feeling down...You could play against me...That will have you saying "OK, I kick arse at this game!" in no time. ;)

Keep your chin up, buddy! ::/
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Sorry to hear about that, Highlander. I have been in your position, too; it is not fun. I tell myself "it's just a game," but it doesn't always make it into my brain as it should. I remember feeling so bad about that I couldn't sleep at night a few times. Not healthy at all. But as Sporting says, this game is uniquely taxing. You have to control so much that you need to be in peak mental shape to even think about playing competitively.

I agree that a break would do some good. When you said "I've lost confidence," I knew exactly what you meant. I said the exact same thing about a month ago when I started playing less AOE. I felt that I couldn't do anything anymore, even in unrateds. A lot of that had to do with my job and family obligations, because I really have almost no time to play anymore, so I just felt my sharpness slipping. But here's what I can tell you from experience: If you break out of the AOE tunnel vision for a while, your mind will slowly readjust and put things back in perspective. You will come back to the game with a fresh perspective, new ideas and new energy. It has worked for me. Granted, I don't play rated anymore, but I know it made me feel better.

It's incredible to see how much emotional and mental energy this game can claim! I'm glad I'm not the only one... you will be all right, Highlander. Just give it some time, regroup and give it another go. No matter what you choose, we will always be here to help you.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
RussianNoobster
Private
Private

Post by RussianNoobster »

You could go to vanilla and play vs majors lol. TAD ranking is worth more than vanilla ranking cuz people suck so bad on vanilla xD.
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

the only thing alcohol could do here is that you don't care what happens, and thus this will not distract your minds.
i've been doing that in school, and it works for me. even in very important exams and tests , i just say to myself damn this, i don'tT care what the results will be like, just do it 'till the end and don't back down.

:)