Insight into Team Games

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

JKL4LiF3
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Insight into Team Games

Post by JKL4LiF3 »

5-10 hussar semi-ff, ship in spahi, upgrade ur hussars, and raid non-stop. play that vs. ports if u wanna win. :) ports cant counter that unless they ff and spam dragoons.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

Or ship early goons? That would work but only if he sees you ff'ing but wouldn't the port ff beat the otto ff? As goons would really pwn otto.
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

walls can be good in 1v1 against noobs like me who aren't too good at applying pressure
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""joe4holly""]abus ftw[/quote]

In team situations, you want to spam a single unit, usually the best unit the civ has to offer. In the Ottos' case, abus is the clear winner. No other civ has such a potentially devastating "infantry" unit that does siege damage; and they absolutely murder HI, at 60 damage per shot. Once you get 12-15 abus under anti-cav cover, you will easily rout your opponents unless they have double cav, and even then mass abus can pwn cav, too.

Because abus can be startlingly lamed, I have pledged to my clanmates only to use them ONCE (1) per calendar week. I think I have held to my promise, haven't I? And now when people see Otto next to my name before a game, they say: "OK, let's double or triple cav!"
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""Tubruk""]Or ship early goons? That would work but only if he sees you ff'ing but wouldn't the port ff beat the otto ff? As goons would really pwn otto.[/quote]

While Otto Spahi may seem OP, goons are faster for hit and run and Ports will have 3t/c and Colonial Militia played. If Otto can't kill Ports eco early from unprotected settlers then they have no real defence to a mass of goons as they have no skirmisher unit and abus are too slow to fend off goon raids.

Port FF for goon/cass mass is a great team strat, but only in large games when you can afford to hold for 7 mins. Otherwise in say 2v2 your ally gets steamrolled!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

Naw, ottos are kind of stupid. Ports are op. I just really wish I had a better internet connection at college. I am transferring at the end of the semester though. This college is just not for me. I'm from a pretty wealthy family and the dorms and stuff just KILL me in how decrepit that they are. I'm just going to transfer to OSU after this semster and hopefully have a better connection so yes, I will lag.
Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Warlord678 »

From my experience in team games, rushing as a team and working together (micro etc..) to take down there armies works very well. I've had guys on my team before decide to FF. This is a 50/50 situation, sometimes it failed horribly, and sometimes it worked very well giving us the advantage to win the game. Just in a game last night, deadhanddan decided to FF with Ports to give us a better advantage. This worked very well, his organ guns did alot of damage and gave us that edge to win. I would say if you are not familiar with a FF, nor can you execute one very well, don't try it. FF's are very good for other players, considering they shine in the Fortress Age.

Ummm.. when to push? Well, I'm pretty stumped on that idea yet too. I always say to myself, well, we just took there FB down, and every time my team's FB is taken down we usually get pushed back and end up losing. So I tend to push when I take an enemies FB down. Now I've noticed when its a stalemate, when both teams just cant get that push on one another, its a good time for me to sit back and get my eco going, age to fortress and try to get an advantage.

What I think you'll notice in more team games king, is you will see what works best for you. Eventually you will know when to push, know when to sit back and boom up a bit to get going. It's all in what works for you. Find what age you really shine in, and can do the most damage.

Well, GL with your future battles! :-P
Soccerman771
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Soccerman771 »

The "best" thing you can do with team games is play with people that A - complement your playing style, and B - that you know well enough or can talk to when playing.

"odd" or unexpected tactics often work in team games as well. You see an otto player and you are thinking, hmm abus. It would kinda throw you off guard if you get raided to death with cav by the Otto player. Putting your FB off to one side or directly in front of an opposing players TC can really do some damage. Sometimes ignoring their FB all together with can be quite effective. This is especially true if there are several block-house type buildings there.

Always use the effective team cards in games. 2 mongol scouts- not so good. Team 7 manchu - awesome card.

Lastly- the most important aspect of team games IMO is to kill the other team's ECO. Yup. Their ECO. Don't read something into this though. Don't raid with your whole cav army. 2-3-4 cav is enough as long as they are not gathering res. and you have the ability to push into their FB.

my 2 pesos..
jtackel@hotmail.com

"Do you know how difficult it is to micro Napalm?" - Lazy_Tuga

"This isn't going to work. I've picked a water deck and there isn't even a pond on this map." - Blackadderthe4th
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

try playing civs that complement each other, for example;

sioux + ports + germany

germany has the cav attack upgrade + the town center attack upgrade and sioux can raid + use the protection from portugals tc

=

team with crazy boom + raid + defensive capabilities = gg
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Tatltael""]try playing civs that complement each other, for example;

sioux + ports + germany

germany has the cav attack upgrade + the town center attack upgrade and sioux can raid + use the protection from portugals tc

=

team with crazy boom + raid + defensive capabilities = gg[/quote]

U should try this with Sporting and Caesár :) N3Os best players with their best Civs.