General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

rambo098
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

How to beat russia?

Post by rambo098 »

HELLO EVERYONE!

This goes out to everyone in the clan! (atleast the N3Oers using this forum)

Have been playing sioux reasently with great success (off course using the FP). I playd some games vs germany,india,french, dutch and british. PR bettwen 28-34. I won like 9 of 12 matches. GREAT SUCCESS 8) :!:

But when i stumbled across a russian guy pr 31 on qs, I had no chance whatsoever :!: .

I did a basic age up and spawned BR´s mixed in with some axeriders along with the 6 bow shipment. I had like 10 br, 10 axe and 6 bows when he comes running at me with 30 strelets and 25 muskets + cav shipments AT 8:00 !!!!!!! GG

He asked for a rematch and offcourse im in.

This time i tryd a Cetan/warclub mix. Cetan vs muskets/strelets and warclubs vs cossacks. This strat should work on papper?

But once again he out mass me, and killss my back and forward running warclubs. Cossacks moves in and it´s GG

QUESTION!
Sioux vs russia : impossible matchup in FP:?:
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: How to beat russia?

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

You're not supposed to beat russia with BR, I'm sure of that at least ^^ Try BR/axe should work with BR only to beat musks. I agree russians have the upper hand here.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Hmm, have you tried pure axe riders supported by some cetans? I know it's hard to spam both of those units at the beginning, but in my experience playing Russia with Germany, I can wipe out their early mass with pure hand cav as long as they do not build 10 muskets and send 9 cossacks first. If you built 5 axes right away in colonial, send 4 more, then send bows and built more axes, maybe that could smack down the Russian mass. If he has strelets in there, they won't stand a chance. Only muskets/cossacks could stop that many axes.

I'm just theorizing here... I am no Sioux player. But I did play Russia, and I know they are startlingly weak against a very early cav spam. If you can catch him with just 5 muskets to protect his FB, your cav should be able to overpower them, as well as the cossacks. The problems start when he has 10-15 muskets, but that's where the RI comes in. By the time he has 15 muskets, you should have an RI shipment in.

I have found that 5 uhlan beat 5 cossack no problem, even without micro. I assume that 5 axes could do the same. Of course, axes are a lot more expensive that uhlans, and we all know how weak that Sioux econ is :neutral:

Good luck in the matchups!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I like pure axeriders and turtling a bit. May if he sees you doing this he skips the stretlets and goes for muskets/cossack and you convert 25 axe riders to rifle riders which own cav and HI. Not sure how it works in reality tho.. Tatltael would be best to chime in.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

fast age up might be your best shot here, search for Wacko's fast rush
4 axe and 10 pistoleros as first 2 shipments and keep the pressure up

pure axe + covert card sounds good, but like Drew said, dunno if it works in reality :s
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]fast age up might be your best shot here, search for Wacko's fast rush
4 axe and 10 pistoleros as first 2 shipments and keep the pressure up

pure axe + covert card sounds good, but like Drew said, dunno if it works in reality :s[/quote]

Pistols + 4/5 axes might be good for a counter rush. But if he has strelets, it could be a problem. It hurts to lose those guys cuz you need to lay out 500 coin from the get-go.

Tatl has pwned my HI rushes by using the convert card. If the Russian guy goes exclusively musket/cossack (the best idea versus cav-heavy opponents as Russia), rifle riders utterly obliterate both units. Sounds like a good idea to me! If he foresees that you'll use the card, he will build strelets, and if he does that, keep 'em axes!

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

the 4 axe/10 pisto rush hits you before you can have strelets out i think
the 4 axe and chief will be raiding and possibly even catch your fwd vils building the BH
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

haha oh russia. you can either go with cav or infantry in this matchup, it doesnt really matter which.

if ya wanna go cav, try starting off with queuing 5 bowrider and sending the 4 axerider shipment, that way if he makes 5 musket 13 stret, u win, 10 stret 5 cossack = win, and 10 stret / 5 cossack should also fail against the early 5 bowrider + 4 axerider. assuming you want to get in his face asap =) when you mess around after the first initial fight, the russia will probably do something annoying like mass stretlets or muskets, well fair enough just send 4 vills and or 20% hunting upgrade and maybe market and spam axerider, keep convert card on standby and see what happens :p

mmkay infantry ! what works nice is doing a FB, grabbing the 10 pistolero shipment and sending them to the forward warhut, while you cue up a few cetans, and eventually send out the 4 axerider,3 axe 2 ds. etc. etc.

either way works for me, im not picky. i usually go infantry on a water map though, just cause its easy to not have to switch up the eco to get a canoe spam going.

also if you want to be like me you could always do the pistolero corral start, which is really sick. high siege+attack + raid = ftw early mass..just have to pay attention to your vill distribution

gg

hopefully this helps somewhat? keeping pressure on russias hunts is always important.. cause without food russia gets screwed so fast. and remember as sioux your warchief isyour best friend, especially in 1v1. i have a habit of making a firepit just for the sake of reviving him, utilize that 8.6(*?) speed on ruining your opponents eco >:]
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Sounds like pure evil, the convert card here should be one hit KO
rambo098
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rambo098 »

thx Tatltael!
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yes, the pistol/axe rider mass is truly astounding when sprung properly. Even early strelets would get toasted by those pistol-totin' bad boys (30 damage per shot! plus they have 24 siege... bye bye BH). And just let the punk make strelets. That's why the Sioux earth God made axe riders :twisted:

Tatl, the BR/axe combo sounds good, too. So many Russian players send cossacks first. If you have BRs right away, you would render that decision suicidal.

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

Reading this thread twice as made me conclude this: Russia vs. Sioux is a weird match.
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

[quote=""36drew""]Reading this thread twice as made me conclude this: Russia vs. Sioux is a weird match.[/quote]+1 Drew
I had it go both was for me as both civs and i know i generally had this match both ways due to the uncertainty of your enemies strat.
Tatltael
Major
Major

Post by Tatltael »

http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameS ... _Supremacy

http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameS ... _Supremacy

haha! first game is pistolero / axerider

second is fast up for 4axerider shipment + bowrider! game ends when i trap his units in middle of map w/ fully upped cav + full firepit =)

too bad no recs.. meh
Last edited by Tatltael on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

lmao, he didn't make units at all until it was too late I suppose you harassed him a bit.