The Portuguese Rush/Aggressive Map Stealer!

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

The Portuguese Rush/Aggressive Map Stealer!

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

From the maker of the Portuguese FI now comes the Portuguese Rush/Aggressive Map Stealer!

It makes use of the extra card ports have due to no villager card, makes use of the xbow boost and it makes use of the free tc to get map control!

I was thinking the other day that I was having stupid problems vs rushes with my turtle so I thought that the ports can be annoying as well. So let's see the build order first:

Discovery Age: Ship no card, age with 12 vills. All treasures are welcome, but early on food treasures are good to reduce tc idle time. Pick the quartermaster poli (400w). Start herding hunts and send a couple vills to a resource chokepoint forward like a mine with hunts around or sth.

Colonial Age: Queue vills asap, make the tc on the chokepoint were you sent your vills. You should have aged earlier than your opponent. Ship 700w asap and makes some houses, you'll need em. On your fb make a barracks and get pikes making.

As soon as the 700w arrive ensure you have pop, and send 8 xbows. Scout too. Make vills from both tcs all the time.

If he has a base and a small army, make xbows, if he has only houses, make pikes. As no one expects port rushes they'll either rush you or boom so you don't have to worry with turtles. Your 8xbow/5pike army is good for harassing vills and keeping them in the tc and to take down barracks and houses with the help of the extra army you keep making. As you shipped 8 xbows early and you got plenty of wood you will surely outmass him early on no matter what. As third card you can ship 600w or 700f according to the resources you need.

Use your army to cause as much damage as possible AND to make him retreat to his base! I wouldn't siege the tc unless you totally annihilated his army which is unlikely if he fights back. You can then fall back to your tc because map control is yours. He'll suffocate without res and you can even get a stable too just to annoy him if you ship 700c. To ensure your position you can ship colonial militia and watch him try to take down your tc for some space with 15 mm shooting at him -plus- your army that you should keep feeding with either xbows or pikes. Don't forget, tho, that after 7-8 mins what deals real damage is the hussars (it's always nice to abuse the 1.01 and fp patch changes, the cav boost vs RI and the xbow boost vs HI) and the portuguese army can stand on its own.

Then you can do as you want but my favorite is to go fortress age and to ship mamelukes and 2 organ guns bring chaos.

TPs are nice to get too if map control is yours, this is a good strategy for maps like Great Plains, Ozarks, and other wide open maps that often betray ports with the lack of hunts, so this way you can turn the game the other way around make the opponent cry for hunts :) I'll post some recs later.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: The Portuguese Rush/Aggressive Map Stealer!

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Cool guide, Sporting! I never underestimate the Ports. They really can do it all. The extra TC in colonial is just such an OP civ advantage. Your early Port harassment strategy makes the most out of that advantage by denying map control. That is awesome.

Good luck with the strat. Looking forward to some recs!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Looking forward to the recs Bro. The idea is pretty nice. A port player did this to me when i tried to FF vs him and then he started to keep me from hunts and sniped vills. Pretty annoying and i lost in the end.

I got a nice strat for germans on Painted Deserts. Deadhanddan already know it. It's a brutal early harrassment. Don't know if it was recorded. I'll check it out.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

it is brutal, i figured u were going for apache so i tried to ff for skirms, little did i realize u had built a tp right when i set my 2nd tc to build by my nearest hunts :( epic failure for me
- Dan
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Cool strat. Your FI strat had me playing ports a lot and going for the FI so much that I got rushed almost every game. Now with this strat I can hit back at them!
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

I am gonna give this a go :)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

This actually sounds like a strat I would like to use.... I have got owned by this gameplay all too often...
DrWho42
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by DrWho42 »

Sporting, this is a great variation for the Ports. I have watched your recordings and the challenge I have had is against a fast Ottoman Janissary rush or Aztec Puma rush. They can typically hit colonial 30 seconds (or more) ahead of me and have 10 jans at my forward TC/barracks before my xbow shipment has arrived. Should the placement of the forward TC/ barracks be adjusted against these types of civs? Or should you simply FF and rely on the shipped xbows and colonial milita to stop their rush?

Thanks.

"Any hussar who isn't dead by thirty is goldbricking." General Lasalle
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Iros and Ottos have a strong HI rush, which is tough to counter for ports. I would place the 2nd TC close to your first and do a semi FF. Build some Pikes and Xbows and then try to go up.

Vs Aztecs just FF. Put your 2nd TC close to your first again. All Aztec warhut units die in one shot vs an upgraded TC with 10 Vills in it.
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

and minutemen absolutely destroy puma spearmen.
DrWho42
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by DrWho42 »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]Iros and Ottos have a strong HI rush, which is tough to counter for ports. I would place the 2nd TC close to your first and do a semi FF. Build some Pikes and Xbows and then try to go up.[/quote]

My questions now is, do you add villager TC fire to support your xbows? If your villagers are safely gathering do you call some in or keep them gathering? I don't know if it is worth the loss of resources to get some more shots in.

Thanks for the tips.

"Any hussar who isn't dead by thirty is goldbricking." General Lasalle
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Well if losing some resources means you can get some more xbows alive, it's worth it.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Yes. Vs rushing civs your first card should be CM. With 10 Vills (make sure you have 10 Vills in your TC) you can kill a Janissary in 2 shots. I think a Jani is 125 ressources. Your 10 Vills could never gather 125 ressources faster than they can kill this Janissary. So your opponent loses more ressources than you do. To Aztec: All Warhut units are killed with one shot from a TC with 10 Vills in it and CM.