URGENT

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

URGENT

Post by deadhanddan »

just read this disturbing topic on yahoo regarding internet explorer and all versions of it http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811
- Dan
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Re: URGENT

Post by Tubruk »

urmmm... switching to firefox ftw?
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

Had been thinking of going Firefox for a long time. This is what will make me change today
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i did, as i read more on this topic, it mentioned game sites, which in turn made me think of aoe3clan, always better to be safe then sorry
- Dan
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

Makes me feel even better that I use firefox. Firefox ftw!
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

For some reason Firefox doesn't work for me. I load it up, but nothing happens, I just get a white screen?
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

been using firefox for a few years, this was 1 of my fears

firefox ftw
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I like the latest version of Opera myself. I use it at home more often than IE, because some of the apps on facebook were not wanting to work for me in IE7.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Firefox rocks
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Whatever is the top dog will always be attacked. Firefox will not prove to be more secure, although for now it is more obscure so it's safer. Leopard had more critical security problems than Windows last year (although due to lower usage it had less exploits).

Keep your virus scan up to date, keep your browser (whatever you use) updated, stay off strange websites, and in the end remember that it is just your computer and not your life.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Na, Firefox would also be attacked. E.g. in Germany Firefox is much more used than in many other countries. Frequently visited sites report a usuage of 50% of Firefox in the evening which indicates that people use Firefox at home.

And thanks to ActiveX and other consorts IE is much unsafer in my opinion.

Vista makes the IE much more safer, if the User Account Control is activated. Then it should be safer than Firefox because the IE runs with very low rights.
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

[quote=""IndyBrit""] Firefox will not prove to be more secure, although for now it is more obscure so it's safer. .[/quote]

I disagree with this. IE has always been far more susceptible to attack than Firefox and this has been the case for a couple of years now. There are fundamental differences in the coding between the two browsers which means that, unless IE is basically redone from scratch, this situation will always remain the same. Microsoft just patches the dam after the leak has been spotted and doesn't ever look to consider the reason for the leaks in the first instance.

The firefox community is far more proactive in it's approach to usability and security and I don't see this changing for a good while yet. Also, IE is the default browser for all the ocassional users, silver surfers etc who are more likely to hit the "yes" box on a pop-up. Firefox users are probably more IT savvy and unlikely to get caught by some of the more obvious viral stuff out there ...
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Aravinthan
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Aravinthan »

Like Coma said, with ActiveX, IE7 and Windows Vista should be fine. The thing is that people dont want that microsoft is the top industry. So they are trying to dig in deep to find flaws like this one. But who knows what flaws might be in FireFox. Maybe even bigger flaws?
WHo knows, and the thing is with User Account with Vista, which is pretty annoying, it should be safe enough till the patch is being relased.
A master Piece done by cleeduz
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

From a software security guy:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/ti ... 34,00.html

His opinion, "I'm not convinced this is because IE is inherently less secure than other browsers. Instead, it's just a much bigger target."

Of course, that's just one guy. However, it doesn't make sense that someone has "solved" the security issue where another company twenty years after buying Mosaic just can't figure it out.

Firefox is responsive because they open source the security part of their code. Of course, I would think this will make hackers more capable by being able to see more under the hood. We'll see how it goes, but my guess is that other browsers begin to take on a greater share of the market, their software will suddenly seem less secure as they begin to become a bigger target.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Vista makes the IE much more safer, if the User Account Control is activated. Then it should be safer than Firefox because the IE runs with very low rights.
I would have the dear Vista's User Account Control activated if it didn't block me from playing team fortress 2 no matter what, even if I ran it as admin. Vista OP, nerf next patch