Does your ranking degrade after a while?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

hallchr

Does your ranking degrade after a while?

Post by hallchr »

I was told that after two weeks it starts degrading but today is two weeks and no change has happened. Will it ever? That is two weeks if no rated games are played.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Re: Does your ranking degrade after a while?

Post by GeneralMichael »

I don't think it does degrade just it will eventually set you to have 0 wins and 0 losses and so your next game played will greatly affect your pr then. Also I thought it was after like 2 months

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I think it degrades once you are PR 25 and higher if you don't play a rated for 2 weeks. Once you get under PR 25, it does not degrade. But if you don't play any rated for 6 months, your win-loss record is erased, yet you keep your PR.

At least, I think that's how it works.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I found this on Agecomm dated 6-25-08

Players who have a Power Rating level of 26 or greater will be subject to our rating decay system. This means that players who do not play a rated game within a set period of time will lose rating points due to their inactivity. The period of time varies so that players who are level 26-36 need to play one game every two weeks, and players who are level 37-50 need to play one game per week to avoid having their rating decayed.

Sorry Ben, I didn't mean to double-post you, we must have answered at the same time. ;)
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

So do I have to play rated games for it to not decay because i'm PR 26 now and i'm contempt and i never play rated.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""hallchr""]So do I have to play rated games for it to not decay because i'm PR 26 now and i'm contempt and i never play rated.[/quote]

I don't honestly know, I'm not an official "fact checker" or anything, and I'm sure you could find out more by searching. But, according to elorating.com your last rated game was on 11-26 and your current PowerRating SP is 25.6

I don't know if that helps or not. :?
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Aaryn_GenD
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Aaryn_GenD »

if you won't play rated anymore from now on, your rating wil stay, once above pr 26 and it starts(see cleeduz post).
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

You will eventually decay to a 24.99 or so if you never play rated again.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

[quote=""hallchr""]So do I have to play rated games for it to not decay because i'm PR 26 now and i'm contempt and i never play rated.[/quote]
if you don' play rated anymore it doesn't really matter, right?
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Blackadderthe4th
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Blackadderthe4th »

[quote=""IndyBrit""]You will eventually decay to a 24.99 or so if you never play rated again.[/quote]

No you won't you will decay to a random fraction of 24. Trust me you will decay. I was level 26.004 and thought I wouldn't decay anymore as it stopped the decay at that for about 3 weeks, then the next day I came online to see I had decayed about 0.8PR overnight. I am now 25.4 along way off the 25.9 you would think you decay too.

Btw these PR are in ESO terms which is 1 higher than ELO for some reason. I.E. 26 on ESO is 25 on ELO.
hallchr

Post by hallchr »

I don't know if I like that very much because the ability to hold that rating is not there anymore. My best civ is portugal but on FFA just russian instant musket lame. I'm probably a private in reality.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I think it degrades once you are PR 25 and higher if you don't play a rated for 2 weeks. Once you get under PR 25, it does not degrade. But if you don't play any rated for 6 months, your win-loss record is erased, yet you keep your PR.

At least, I think that's how it works.[/quote]

That's what happened to me. Played no rated for 6+ months, and my W/L was reset, but kept my PR.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""hallchr""]I don't know if I like that very much because the ability to hold that rating is not there anymore. My best civ is portugal but on FFA just russian instant musket lame. I'm probably a private in reality.[/quote]

I know how you feel, Hall. I'm sort of having a confidence crisis in my game, also. If I were playing rated I would probably be going nuts about now. In my pre-N30 days, rated did make me nuts; that's why I largely stopped. But these days, it seems that the only matches I can get 1v1 unrated are against higher-ranked (PR 26+) TWC players who hand my German/British rear-end to me on a plate. :cry: Thankfully Drew and Lazy have been helping me practice against Aztecs, but it is just maddening if you play a slower-moving Euro civ.

Drew made a good comment the other day, tho: Once the patch comes out, TAD will be pretty balanced if you play QS with the "No War Chiefs Civs" box checked :o
Last edited by Kaiser_von_Nuben on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallchr

Post by hallchr »

I basically play slower European civs. By slower I mean the ones that do not rush like the Portuguese and the British. When I play a sioux or Iroq I get really irritated which is why I never play rated. Aztecs are my bane. Can anyone help me with them?
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""hallchr""]I basically play slower European civs. By slower I mean the ones that do not rush like the Portuguese and the British. When I play a sioux or Iroq I get really irritated which is why I never play rated. Aztecs are my bane. Can anyone help me with them?[/quote]

For me it's really hit or miss against TWC. Xbow/pike works decent against Aztec and Iro, but one micro slip-up and they crush you. It takes iron nerves to defend those mean rushes; and you can't really go all-cav because they both have powerful anti-cav components.

You can always go back to vanilla for a more balanced QS!! I confess that I've done that from time to time. Of course, your opponents will not be as skilled, but just do a 15 PR spread. And you'll never worry about converted guardians again 8)