36drew vs Harley14(nav) on Honshu

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

36drew vs Harley14(nav) on Honshu

Post by 36drew »

This is a battle of the titans as the two best 1v1 players in the clan but heads. The game is a Britain(drew) vs Ports(nav) on Honshu. This is major vs. major.

Neither of us elect for a water boom and we both stick to the land. Nav elects to go for his infamous raiding turtle while he builds his economy. I harass with muskets while he does the same with hussars. We each have mixed success and don't get a lot of villagers (with the exception of one 5 villager raid on Nav's behalf when I was busy microing my army). The game goes to fortress where I attempt to get at him with petards. Who wins? Watch and see for yourself.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/11/18 ... n%20honshu
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: 36drew vs Harley14(nav) on Honshu

Post by KingKaramazov »

I don't understand why a port player wouldnt' stick to their advantages on Honshu and go for water boom with expansion to the other islands.

Even you could have done that as Brits, Drew. You could definitely do a better job of it than I did, and when I did that to you as Spain it gave you a bit of a hard time.

That's the best option on Honshu imo...which is why it shouldn't be a standard map.

Anyways, I'll give it a look.
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

The waterboom is very strong. However early pressure always makes a waterboom tough. I'm not very good at going for the sea.
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Really fun game to watch. Very difficult proposition for the ports to win on that map.
-36Drew was very good aggression with his musketeers early on which kept harleys Hussars waiting in the wings for a while while he micro'd vs. Drews early Musketeers. Finally he found the Dock and Stable (later some homes) to take down without a huge cost from TC fire.
-Nav had a good catch on the outpost wagons.
-Drew catch's Navs Hussars while taking a Northern costal pass around his rax and top Native village. BLAYZER should watch this part to see Navs attempt to save an almost dead Hussar even though it ultimately failed due to outpost fire it's a good example of micro.
-Another good micro example is the colonial militia vs. musketeers matchup at 13:40ish time frame.
-late in game the 5 musketeers protecting the wood choppers comes into play, very nice placement drew.
-You'll have to watch to see how game ends.

Great example of why I hate Petards. They should be more like Warcraft Sappers that die quite easily if fired upon! Way too effective for suicide troops IMHO.

Great game thanks for posting the record.
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
Navarone_Guy
Honorary Officer

Post by Navarone_Guy »

I played like crap that game.

The reason I didn't water boom is because I can't. If I try, he just sends two caravels and I lose. My computer can't handle water battles, so I basically just have to hope my fishing boats get attacked, since I can't even glance at the water, much less during a battle. I'll need a rematch for that.
Groovy.
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

Two things i saw:

Drew was running with his musketeers after Xbows and was shooting always with the whole group (10 Muskets) on 1 xbow and overkilled him

Drew was running away from 1 HP minutemen with a bunch of musketeers. One shoot with Attack Move and that Minutemen would have been toast.
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Ahh sorry nav, I forgot your computer can't handle water battles.

Basically makes you **** on that map.

Coma, I completely disagree about Ports not being able to win on that map. That map is very good for Ports.

Even with pressure it's not that difficult to gather enough wood for ships + send a couple caravels, then take your vills to the other island, build a new TC if your first one dies, etc. With some cards you can proceed to own the water and then build up an army with superior fishing eco and root out the person who is still on the main island. It's not a guaranteed win, but that's the best way to get the advantage on that map imo.

You can also save your first TC wagon and send it to the island on the bottom. Ports can own on that map, they just have to play differently than normal.

Again, that's why I think it shouldn't be a standard map. :-P
"Why are some people all grasshopper fiddlings, scrappings, all antennae shivering, one big ganglion eternally knotting, slip-knotting, square-knotting themselves? They stoke a furnace all their lives, sweat their lips, shine their ey
Comadevil
Administrator
Administrator
AOE3 Nickname: Comadevil

Post by Comadevil »

[quote=""KingKaramazov""]
Coma, I completely disagree about Ports not being able to win on that map. That map is very good for Ports.
[/quote]

Sitting too long in front of the comp?? :-P Zop said that. ;)

[quote=""ZoRPrimE""]Really fun game to watch. Very difficult proposition for the ports to win on that map.[/quote]
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

[quote=""Comadevil""]Two things i saw:

Drew was running with his musketeers after Xbows and was shooting always with the whole group (10 Muskets) on 1 xbow and overkilled him

Drew was running away from 1 HP minutemen with a bunch of musketeers. One shoot with Attack Move and that Minutemen would have been toast.[/quote]

I was thinking about this while I watched but, I kept in mind I can scarcely play at the level they're playing now. Later on Drew splits his forces in a micro battle that is fairly impressive.
He also does an awesome instant calculation on how many musketeers he needs to leave behind to polish off a house he was destroying even though they were underfire. Retreating the rest safely. I swear the 3 musks he left behind break the house and miliseconds later they're all dead, any more woulda been a waste any less wouldn't have got the job done.

And for Drew running away from the minutemen he was just a few feet off from the perfect retreat distance. Nav's MM had about a 1/4 health when they got in firing range. My assumption is that Drew heard the attack bugle and just had them do a retreat so he could multitask something else.

Seemed to me like Nav was a bit off his game course 'who can say?' when it's just a good opponent that set you off your game.

Can't wait to hear Blayzer's response and how much he liked the MICRO!!!
Because I know he's gonna watch it!!!
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

Yea sorry coma, I meant Zorp
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Heh it also says difficult not impossible. Course I could be wrong I generally elect not to engage in a lot of Naval combat if I can avoid it. Too much lag and the port strat of sprawling all over the islands sounds long and unfun to me (I've played that type match before :( ), although potentially very effective to get the WIN!
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

The reason I didn't water boom is because I can't. If I try, he just sends two caravels and I lose. My computer can't handle water battles, so I basically just have to hope my fishing boats get attacked, since I can't even glance at the water, much less during a battle.
That sounds familiar to me. Every time Chris and I are on a water map he doesn't go water and neither do I, just so that my lag isn't made worse. Just a few ships and my screen pretty much comes to a standstill.

I played a 3v3 the other day, rated too (I would have said NO WAY). I went andd got coffee during the game and just kept tributing. I couldn't even scroll to a spot.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
KingKaramazov
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by KingKaramazov »

That would frustrate the hell out of me, I'm glad I have no trouble running water battles.

It's too bad there isn't a setting for like "low graphics sea battles" or something where instead of falling apart with cool physics effects ships just disappear when they die or something like that.

Would look like crap but at least you'd be able to do stuff on the sea.
blayzer13
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by blayzer13 »

i really enjoy water battles now that my comp can handle them. I got my graphics card from circuit city for 80$! which is really cheap and it handles aoe very nicely.
its an Nvidia 7600 AGP im sure theres pci and pci-e versions for those of u with them

gonna dl and watch now...thanks for spotlighting me zorp lmao
btw i appriciate the eagerness to help me learn micro =)
ZoRPrimE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ZoRPrimE »

Just making sure you watch these good micro examples. Since it proved harder to watch your records and make suggestions .

I'll easy up on the spot light.

I don't have a lot of problems with water battles at least PC wise. In 3v3's usually someone has problems with it then by proxy you now have a problem.