Anyone have a Wii?

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Anyone have a Wii?

Post by RascalJones »

I'm not looking to recruit anyone to play any games....don't sweat that.

I just want to know if anyone has any recommendations for GOOD games for kids under 10 years old. I know 2 kids that are getting a Wii for Christmas, and want to know which games to look to get and which ones to stay away from. The "party" games would probably be best, so that more than one of them can play at once. I know the system comes with Wii Sports. Has anyone tried Wii Play? It's the game that comes with an extra controller.

Of course, games that I might have fun playing with them, or helping them learn to play would be good too.

Ones I've seen reviewed pretty well are Super Monkey Ball, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Wario Ware,

I'd like to get Rock Band for it, but I'm not sure they're quite big enough yet, and I don't want to dump that much money into it if it could pass quickly.

Anyone? Any dads out there with advice?
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Re: Anyone have a Wii?

Post by GeneralMichael »

Well out of the tv consoles I could only afford to buy the wii soo even though i mostly play t rated games here are a few I found I liked....
Mario Party for the Wii
Mario Cart for the Wii (have not played but is probably good since the one for the Gamecube was great)
Mario Galaxy
I'll get back to you on the rest right now I'm at school so I can't look at my games and most of my Games are for Gamecube since I mostly buy old games at around $10-30. :cry:

cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I have one! :D We (the wife, myself & the kids 9yr/7yr/10mo) love it! We all use it, well except the baby (she just like s to watch ::/ )

We don't have many games, but their favorites are currently:

Rayman Raving Rabbids (caters to their short attention span, full of mini games)

Wii Sports (a nice sampling of different sports games, bowling is the wifes fav)

I haven't started paying attention to any new games that are out yet, but I don't think you can go wrong with the 2 listed above. Rayman may be considered a bit "violent" if your kids are sensitive to that sort of thing, nothing major imo, just hitting, shooting and slapstick type games.

Also, you may want to look into the recharging dock for the controllers, they go through AA's pretty quick.
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
IndyBrit
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by IndyBrit »

Have a Wii, and a kid or two.

8-yr old son loves Excite Truck and the Mario Melee thing. Neither of those is bad for young kids.

Family favorites are tennis (that's on the Wii Sports that usually comes with it) and Mario Kart. I'm guessing super monkey ball is going to be pretty good but we don't have it. It was good on gamecube for all ages.

Oh yeah - guitar hero is great, but somewhat limited. It's pretty tiresome after the initial three-week guitar hero fest that will inevitably ensue.
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

Mario Kart the best game on Wii IMO a lot of fun.
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

Ive played the Sonic Vs Mario Olympics, man that was fun, I dont own a Wii myself but anyone I know whos got one has got this game and its really fun! I think it may be more for the adults than childrens, as it has all of the running by shaking the remotes etc, but esp fun for you, the wife and if your entertaining, the shooting is a hoot! As well as the Archery! but its so much fun in general imo.

I agree with Cleeduz, they go through batteries quicker than a hot knife through butter!

I would stay clear of Wii play, imo its pretty poor, especially the ping pong on it the remote was too sensitive and kept losing!
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
Crazy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Crazy »

Ive got a wii... and some games that are good are mario vs sonic olympics like djdan said. Mario kart is a nintendo classic, but Super smash bros brawl is imo the best game that the wii will have, i love it anyway :D . Any game with Mario in the title should do it as well :-P .
MNBob
Honorary Officer

Post by MNBob »

My 4yo is playing Mario Kart right now. All of my kids seem to really like that game.
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Thanks guys. I've played Mario Kart in the store. At the time, I said it was one of the coolest things I ever played. Sounds like it's a hit with kids too.

How's this for service? I ordered the Wii from Amazon yesterday afternoon, with free shipping. It was at my house by 4:30 PM TODAY!!! I think I'm going to have to open the package...just to make sure all the parts are there and it works OK. I'd hate for the kids to be disappointed on Christmas. ;)
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

LOL

You have to test drive it before you give it to the kids Randy! Just to be sure.
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

I'm hating that Christmas is a month away yet.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Oooy vey. I still can't believe that we are selling stuff for christmas before it was halloween and before thanksgiving. One bad thing about this time of year is it is crazy at the supermarkets. And now my supermarket is doing a gas card now which is getting to be more of a pain than a time saver. Though I'm waiting for my christmas bonus ha ha ha ha :twisted: (evil laughter). Since I work at a supermarket the bonus last year was all you can eat for free and they had in the break room free shrimp for employees.
Anyway basically good games for kids pretty much any mario game, I have yet to try this game but there is a crash bandicoot for the wii and I remembered that they were fun games on the ps1, I also have not played line rider for the wii but it is a nice little relaxing game that the kids in my computer programming class used to play(I played it once though It was not that great for me, since i like games with story lines and the game is just make a track for a guy on a sled to ride on), also been meaning to buy wii playground it looks good but unfortunately I keep finding games I want more and they are always T so not sure if i should recomend those, Sonic and the Secret Rings was cool, and if you have internet you can get some great classic games on the wii shop chanel and some cool new games from companies that are not well known and decided to have people be able to buy games through wii shop chanel and not put them on a disc.

RascalJones
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by RascalJones »

Well. It works.

Whew!

It actually was pretty nice to set it all up and get the updates so that I don't have to do it on Christmas, we can just hop right into playtime!

Golf is unrealistic...I parred the first 3 holes. Then again, I did 3 putt a few times.

The wife likes the boxing game.....is that good?
ruminator
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by ruminator »

Mario and Sonic Olympics is great. Super smash bros brawl is a good game if a little violent. Mario kart is good but I would get the steering wheel for the kids.

I've now got a wii fit and am looking for some new games for Christmas, possibly one of those skiiing or skateboarding games. I have the physique of a 56 year old according to the Wii Fit analysis!!
"Could you, would you, with a goat? Would you, could you, on a boat?" Doctor Seuss

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"
George Wallace
Heyco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Heyco »

I have 1, too.. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii ...