Attack mode

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

yeedman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Attack mode

Post by yeedman »

Can someone please give me a detailed account and description of what each mode means and what they do. For example what does attack mode do and what does melee mode do etc. Any solid advice would be helpful and much appreciated
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Re: Attack mode

Post by cleeduz »

This is the best demo of "Attack Move" I've found CLICKY.
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
Heyco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Heyco »

[quote=""cleeduz""]This is the best demo of "Attack Move" I've found CLICKY.[/quote]

Hmm... It was no big help for me...
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""Heyco""][quote=""cleeduz""]This is the best demo of "Attack Move" I've found CLICKY.[/quote]

Hmm... It was no big help for me...[/quote]

You don't think Parfait's demo was an accurate description of Attack Move? :?

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Attack mode is the units normal attack, so for ranged units they attack with thier ranged weapon and melee units can only do melee attacks. Though for the ranged units even if they are in attack mode they will switch to hand combat if the enemy gets close enough. Melee mode makes the unit go into hand combat, for units like musketeers this is when they can do adition damage to infantry since they are stabing with thier bayonettes insteading of just wacking the guy with thier rifles. Cover mode I think is for you to get your units closer to the enemy while taking less damage as they are getting closer, guess this is best for melee only units. Trample has the calvary move slower but as they are riding by the damage nearby enemy units

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""cleeduz""]This is the best demo of "Attack Move" I've found CLICKY.[/quote]

Exactly what I was going to suggest. It has some pretty big implications, though I must admit I had to use it and watch this a few times before I fully understood them. Now I just break groups of cav from my ctrl group and try to use attack move with half groups for less path finding issues and more killing. Whether or not I use it with RI depends.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

I also had to watch it a few times, and parts of it are still unclear to me. In theory, it would seem that attack move would work well for RI, but it just doesn't.

Also, when using attack move don't forget to set your units back before looking away from a battle, or they will keep attacking. I often have 4 kanyas raiding 4-5 isolated wood vills, then looked away for a second and they have "decided" to attack his entire base. :mad:

joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

I made attack move space so it is easy to get to and use when using cav.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""cleeduz""]I also had to watch it a few times, and parts of it are still unclear to me. In theory, it would seem that attack move would work well for RI, but it just doesn't.

Also, when using attack move don't forget to set your units back before looking away from a battle, or they will keep attacking. I often have 4 kanyas raiding 4-5 isolated wood vills, then looked away for a second and they have "decided" to attack his entire base. :mad:[/quote]

I love attack-move. I use it for RI, too. I find it's best when backing up from a fight; your guys target multiple enemies and sting them good while they're retreating. Then just keep moving, attack-moving, moving, etc. And with hand cav it kicks tail. Just move them among the stuff you want to kill, then hit attack-move. Watch 'em go down :twisted: Same goes for hand inf: Move the pikes among some horses, then hit attack-move to maximize the carnage. But be careful: Don't hit attack-move if there's a bad target close to you... you don't want hussars attacking muskets that are guarding archers, for example.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Attack mode is Z btw.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""joe4holly""]I made attack move space so it is easy to get to and use when using cav.[/quote]

I saved SPACE for idle vills, my biggest hurdle... Using SPACE is definitely nice for your favorite hotkey. 8)

LoN_Colossus
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by LoN_Colossus »

....guys. Read the first post :-P

"description of what each mode means and what they do"

Not Move. MoDe.

Volley Mode is the unit's base range attack, they will always use their ranged attack unless they are in melée proximity, when they will switch to melée attack. They have a standard rectangle formation.

Melée Mode is the unit's base melée attack, be it using the Pikes (Pikemen) or Scimitars (Janissaries) or Espadas (Rodeleros) or Short Swords (Dragoons), for example. They will close to the opposing unit and attack in melée proximity. Also has the same standard rectangle formation.

Stand Ground (Feet icon) is for all units except cannon, and is exactly the same as the above modes, except the unit WILL NOT MOVE unless you tell it to. Also has the standard rectangle formation.

Stagger formation is for All ranged infantry and ranged cavalry (and maybe the rest of the unit spectrum asides cannon, don't quote me on that though), and all it does is spread the units out. Dragoons and similar always come in Stagger mode by default.

Stagger mode doesn't reduce or boost any stats, except the groups chances of survival to cannons and similar units.

Defend Area (Shield icon, I believe) is for all units except cannon, and means the unit will stay in the general area of where you last told him to move to. He will move about half a screen to attack an enemy who passes nearby, and once the enemy dies the unit will return to the general area of where you last told him to be.

Defend Area stance has a default SQUARE formation.

Useful to combine this with Stand Ground, to surround cannon with Pikes. Use Defend Area to get around the cannon, and then change to Stand Ground so they do not move. Cavalry won't be able to hit your Cannon this way.

Cover Mode is for all Melée infantry, and reduces their speed by 50%, attack by 50% (Except Iroquois Rams) and DOUBLES their ranged resistance.

You may think this is a bad idea, however if you just change the unit being attacked by a tower to Cover mode, then the rest can siege it down whilst the tower wastes its firing time on a unit now ordered to resist those attacks.

Cover mode forms a CIRCLE formation, and usually puts the pikes or shields in the sky as well.

Trample Mode is for all Melée cavalry, and reduces their speed by 50%, and gives them an area attack. This also reduces their HP quite rapidly, so doesn't take much use in games at all.

Trample mode forms a V formation, with the top of the V facing towards their destination or target.

Cannon have the Deploy mode and Undeployed mode, which basically deploys the cannon to fire or allows it to move much faster but cannot fire. You should know this one well :-P

...and I believe that is all of them, that I can think of. Feel free to comment.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

oh snap. stupid eyes/brain got tricked as usual
yeedman
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by yeedman »

Thanks guys for all the helpful information, but this may sound stupid but I got to ask. What does the acrnoym " RI " mean?
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

Ranged Infantry, people with guns and rifles etc :)
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle