Otto spahi ff

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

retribution1423
Conscript
Conscript

Otto spahi ff

Post by retribution1423 »

Hi this strat is probley old but its loads of fun especially vs russia! The best thing about it is most expect a jan rush, make ri, then find 5 spahi munching them!! :)

These are the most important cards for you deck.

age1. 3 vills
age2. 700 gold, 700 wood, 5 jans, 3 huss
age3. 5 spahi, 3 spahi, 5 albus, 8 jans, 2 falks, jan upgrade, 1000 gold, 1000 wood
age4. Factory, robber barrons

age 1
. 2 vills collect food crates and 100 wood, rest to hunts.
. build 1 house.
. ship 3 vills
. age with 200 gold, 1 tower. I have seen this refuted, but the way i see it is less time colecting gold more time collecting food which is needed and a tower to help protect your food vills and shot away millitary.
. make sure you herd at least 1 herd (2 is best) back to your tc.

Transition.
. Collect the rest of your wood/gold use this to build more houses.
. transfer 4 vills to gold until you get 100, then put them to wood

age 2
. ship 700 gold asap.
. collect your 200 gold when your 700 arives.
. Try and collect your 700 asap to try and cover your strat. If his explorer is near your tc send the gold to your outpost, this may not decive him but worth a try i guess lol.
. build your outpost within tc fire however covering a herd, or your gold vills if your mine is place annoyingly.
. build a rax, market and as many houses as possible.

Transition.
. move 3 vills off of food put em on gold.
. i usually dont start queing millitary untill ive got 1000 food so i can send my spahi as soon as i get to fort. Once you've got this start queing jans.

age 3
. Send your spahi, when you get them send them off to raid. These guys munch vills for breakfast so if they have any unprotected get them.
. If you have enough pop space put a couple of your wood vills back to food.
. dont engage any millitary unless its unsupported ri its not worth losing your spahi.
. i usually make a healer guy if the spahi get to badly damaged.
. bassicaly the idea here is to pin your oponants vills down whilst you build up your force of jans.
. if your oponant is being agressive next card is 2 falks or 8 jans which ever you see best.

This is only a rough guide to be honest i change my bo pritty much every time depending on my oponant. This strat works realy well vs russia as they mostly go strelet/cossack vs otto and start mixing musks later, good thing about this is that you'll catch them in the stage with not alot of musk support and any they do have your spahi will rip through.

I have also found this to work quite well vs Germany aswell if they stay in colonial. If they ff as well it can become tricky.

Any guidence/critisism is welcomed :D as long as it isnt go away you noob lol!!

ps can anyone serjest some more civs this could be good against? hmm maybe france??
Last edited by retribution1423 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Otto spahi ff

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

That is a good build order and you wrote it well, our ottoman players will surely appreciate ;)

What politician do you pick for fortress age? 4 hussars I presume?
. i usually make a healer guy if the spahi get to badly damaged.
I don't know if you had ever noticed but spahis heal by themselves like explorers, so healing them with an healer is good but perhaps you didn't know they auto-heal ^^

You can do this strat against any non super rush civs, you should avoid doing it against Iros, Aztec, other Ottos, etc. Still, I suggest you use your explorer well to check if they're rushing or not. If they don't rush it works vs France too.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

good guide and nice strat, try to add a replay and maybe a deck if you can
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I have also found this to work quite well vs Germany aswell if they stay in colonial. If they ff as well it can become tricky.

It is an excellent strat to use against Russia. Even if they have muskets, spahis can kill about 15 of them without taking all that much damage. You can send mamelukes on top of the spahis, too, and that is pretty much GG against Russia unless they bring in kalmucks and/or manchu. But if they do that, they sacrifice their econ in early fortress, so it's all good for Otto in that matchup. Otto heavy cav in Age 3 is prolly the best in the game, and with Russia's anti-cav as weak as it is, you can see why I used to dread facing Otto when I used to play Russia.

You are right that Germany can give Otto FF problems. If I spot the 700 gold shipment being collected and I see no military building in age 2, I harass them to death with 7 uhlans (ie, you get no hunts), then go to fort not long after they do. By the time they spend the food on spahis, I have about 20 veteran uhlans, which can overwhelm the spahis. And there's always black riders, which gun down hussars, mamelukes and spahis for breakfast. But they cost a lot; I don't get to use them as often as I'd like :twisted: 10-min treaty, of course, is a different story.

Your Otto Spahi FF can also work in a 10-min treaty game, since it takes about 9 minutes to get all your ducks in a row with this strat.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
retribution1423
Conscript
Conscript

cheers guys, 4 hussars is good if he has loads of strlets but if they mass musks i sometimes go for the albus.

o ill add the deck now ill type it cuz i dont know how to upload pics :D
joe4holly
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by joe4holly »

You can add them in by using the "Add an Attachment" or by using a site like imageshack.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

gave it a quick try and I had 4 hussars, 5 spahi out at 8 min and a batch of 5 jans half-way made
not having a TP or a church is annoying, a you lack the extra xp to spam shipments in III
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
retribution1423
Conscript
Conscript

well it would be possible to age with 400 wood which would get you the church, maybe a vill tech and some extra housing but you would lack the protective fire of the outpost. im not sure if thats worth it.
dragonshinobi
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dragonshinobi »

try aging with 500 food

works well IMO ;)
retribution1423
Conscript
Conscript

When i do this strat i can age as soon as i get the gold. Having said that it would be usefull to have more for the spahi but im not sure if id want to be without the protection of the tower.

The tower also provides good cover for mine vills/hunting vills so they can be put away quickly!
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i played a match up awhile ago where i was russia and my opponet was otto,i scouted his base well and noticed they wre trying for a ff, since i already chose my deck and had already sent 700 gold for cossacks (figured abus/cav rush since this player wasn't a noob) i decided to instead to ff for 17 extra strelets on top of my 13 strelet card and 5 cav archer card and while aging to 3rd i shipped unique church techs for cheap vet. upgrade tech at my church and luckily i noticed before my explorer was wasted that they aged and had 4 hussar already out, so i switched most of my vills to wood and sent kalmuchs instead of the vet. status tech and shipped my 5 cav archer, at roughly lil more then 8 minutes i found a horde of 5 spahi 4 hussar and 10 jans heading to my base, wit my 30 strelets and 15 dragoon cav i quickly killed the spahi 1st and hussar 2nd and with my strelets creamed the jans, my point to this being that a spahi ff can be crushed by russia if the russia player scouts well ,has cards for both rush and ff if needed and can switch strats and not be bogged down by a linear strat deck
- Dan
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

My Manchu FF crushed this too. Manchu and Strelets /Muskets can beat this. Still it always depends on some other facts. Map position and all this stuff. The first one who makes a mistake is screwed :).

Still, good build order. Thank you for posting!
retribution1423
Conscript
Conscript

I actually recently have stopped doing a straight ff vs russia, after playing someone from this clan. They just musk/cossack rushed me hard witha 14 vill age there was not an awfull lot i could do.

I now do more of a semi ff making about 10 huss and 5 jans and shipping 5 before the 700gold card, this works a treat.

Yh i know kalmuck ff kiks this starts arse i play russia alot and i devised probley one simlar to beat this strat as every otto would just do this, i was actually thinking of posting it when i get it a bit better.

@deadhanddan

There was an element of the otto player being stupid and engageing your army whilst his was much smaller.
deadhanddan
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by deadhanddan »

i agree, i figured he may have been trying to just move his army closer to me after seeing my age up notification, or he may have been shipping mamelukes or 5 abus/8 jan card i'm not sure but after killin his only army i saw he had atm he just resigned which was prolly best since i had just shipped my 2 falcs and had 20 more strelets being made
- Dan
frenchfantom
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by frenchfantom »

hm interesting i was looknig for a spahi rush myself. ill try it out and adapt to it, then let you guys know. thanx for the guide!