Meleeing the Enemy Explorer : Lame or Legit?

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Re: Meleeing the Enemy Explorer : Lame or Legit?

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

how do you know the other explorer was in melee mode?
I've seen many expert recs where there is no escaping to this, but maybe they don't know either :p
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

[quote=""I__CHAOS__I""]how do you know the other explorer was in melee mode?
I've seen many expert recs where there is no escaping to this, but maybe they don't know either :p[/quote]
The explorer chasing HAS to be in melee mode of course, and the other explorer (that wants to get away) has to either turn and slash (before shooting range) and flee or go melee mode and just wait for them to start their slash animation then do the same and flee...
No clue why experts don't do it in these recs ^^
Oh and I learnt it from Choco who learnt it from sporting.
Sporting is king!
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]I agree that you should be punished for poor micro against treasures, but the thing that bothers me about the explorer melee is that it seems to exploit a programming error. Why does your explorer slow down? And why does the other explorer keep right up with him? If you shoot him, he easily gets away. Agreed, if you catch the other explorer with 50 HP, by all means, try to kill him. But when you have 350 and he has 340, and you luckily get a melee hit on him, why should that entitle you to kill him? That's my main complaint.[/quote]

Just some food for thought. Think about when cav comes to your base to raid and your pikes get off a single hit, thus slowing the group down. If they didn't could you imagine the insanity that would insue? You would never be able to catch the raiding group and villagers would just dwindle. Because of the design skilled players in this scenario will usually automatically sacrifice one cav and run it in reverse so that the group is not slowed down, but it's micro intensive.

Likewise, an explorer who can rampage and keep exploring without getting caught has defeated the purpose too.

Also, suppose you have your scenairo fo 350 HP vs. 340 HP. The man with more HP should win the fight, and if you turn and fight him to the death (baring no other factors) he will only have 10 HP left. That's nothing.

People wouldn't complain over a hussar with 350 HP beating a hussar with 340 HP, and to me, this scenario is no different.

That said, it does drive me nuts sometimes when this stuff happens -- especially when my crappy Euro explorers face TAD/TWC which are superior.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Well certain explorers beat others. For example before me and my one friend got twc we did a 1 on 1 battle so we could get max xp and I could try to teach him how to build a nice eco. Anyway at one point we decided to have his british explorer fight my spanish explorer with no other units. My explorer has killed quickly and we both used explorer upgrade cards i might have used both of spains. Anyway it was over a 100 point difference and we did melee only