Villagers. A little idea

General Discussion about Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

LaZy
Honorary Officer

Villagers. A little idea

Post by LaZy »

Yesterday I played a game (duh what else is new). Actually in all fairness I played more than 1 (wow this is getting better with each sentence). After a very long game I took the time, as I tend 2 do, analyzing the graphs, awards and what have u, and thought of something that at the time made sense and seemed rather cool.

My idea isnt original. It comes from the (imo) 2nd best RTS out there. Yes C&C. For the people that dont know what that stands 4 let me help u save urself the embarrasing trip 2 google. Command and Conquer. This game had a very cool feature. I believe it was a unit called the Spy. Hmmm... mayB it was the engeneer. Same diference. What was done is simple. One single unit had the dangerous task 2 infiltrate the enemy´s base and was able 2 take over the enemy´s building. Those of u that played the game know how irritating this was.

My thoughts were similar. MayB a villager could make it through to the enemy´s base or FB even, and take over that building. If not converting the building mayB just have the ability to prevent ur enemy from using that same building. Imagine a sneaky (mayB even stealthy) villager going into ur stable and after say 30-60 secs he could sabotage that building. U´d stop making cavalry. If u allowed him to keep his nasty work that same building would eventually become converted.

History has given us more than enough examples of this type of behaviour. The whole idea would still be realistically considered viable. From a programming point of view I dont think this would be hard 2 implent either.

Ur thoughts.

out
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Re: Villagers. A little idea

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Would make the game a bit more *** :P But how could you detect this little invader? If he had little hp so that he died as soon as he's noticed it could be interesting.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]Would make the game a bit more *** :P But how could you detect this little invader? If he had little hp so that he died as soon as he's noticed it could be interesting.[/quote]

Yeah I think it would make the game less fun. Also in most rushes that I play very few build walls (I'm one of the few but usually I only start if it gets a good amount into age 3) with that it would be pretty easy to infiltrate enemies base I think since only a tc, or an explorer can make units become unstealthed. So you could just make a bunch and hit the base from several directions. Therefore maybe there should be a limit of how many you could have at a time including the ones that are in the process of converting.

Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

While personally I would hate to contend with infiltrators of this sort (I am bad enough managing my vils while fights are afoot...imagine if I had to micro all my buildings, too :neutral: ), I think it would fit into AOE3 from a historical and gameplay perspective. After all, the great unspoken truth about AOE3 is that you're trying to kill civilians, not soldiers. Saboteurs would add a new dimension to this "economic warfare" side of the coin. Petards are the closest, sneakiest thing available to this, but they are pretty unwieldy in actual play... plus they cost a forestload of wood (which I'd rather spend on a new TC :-P ).
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

I think petards were misconcepted. I would have liked cheaper weaker and faster units than those dudes. 50f and 100w is too much
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/Entit ... cy&sFlag=2

That shows my love for petards. They're not even in the list of used units in rated games :p
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

The explorer already has the ability 2 "find" stealthy units. Spies should be able 2 do the same, thus making that evil villager´s life even harder.

out
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Ah, he'd be stealthed? What if he just had the enemy color? Cause natives and asians would be doomed if it was just the explorer :\
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

they also had this aspect in rise of nations, but you couldnt take over the building, a spy could infiltrate the rax to see what they're making, so you can counter and also the spies could 'bribe' the enemy and then they would change you your side
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!
LaZy
Honorary Officer

Post by LaZy »

^^ Yes, very true. Totaly 4got about that wonderful game. Having ur own military buildings make troops 4 the enemy was simply OP. Very virus like indeed. This feature is coming more and more to my liking tbh.

out
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""djdan""]they also had this aspect in rise of nations, but you couldnt take over the building, a spy could infiltrate the rax to see what they're making, so you can counter and also the spies could 'bribe' the enemy and then they would change you your side[/quote]

That is one thing I used to like about the Star Wars RTS, Empire at War. There were a lot of "heroes" in that game that had special abilities. My favorite was Emperor Palpatine, who had a special ability called "Force Corrupt," which caused Rebel forces in his aura to come over to your side. That could cause some serious mischief if you ran the Emperor into the heart of the enemy army and hit that ability! "Soon the Rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us mughhahahah!" (You know the laugh) :-P
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

Yes the good ol day of red alert XD

All i remember is the expensive chick unit who slaughtered infantry and constantly shouted "shake it baby!"
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
emperoral
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by emperoral »

Sod it why not give the little fellow AK47 or land mines come on! I mean when I play Lazy just send his peskey cav to do a number on me well if I have land mines and AK47 might make it even hell my vills might even have a horse and cream cheese sandwich mmm.

How about sheep bombs that would be fun lol Strap a petard on the back and send him running haha

Er ok odd rant thing over. Think I better sit down else where
rufio_eht
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by rufio_eht »

yes, sheep bombs! (woot avatar ftw)

like odysseus clinging underneath the sheep, or dudes dressed in sheep costumes (halloween idea 8O ) packed with explosives (dont worry, not part of my halloween costume)
"Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world." --Peter York
djdan
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: SpanktheMonkey

Post by djdan »

[quote=""rufio_eht""]yes, sheep bombs! (woot avatar ftw)[/quote]

Is anyone else reminded of the video game worms at the mention of sheep bombs, or holy hand grenades(also related to monty python and the holy grail, against the killer rabbit!)
From the OP maker of the OP Sigs, Cleeduz brings maybe some of his best work yet!