Try this

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: Global Moderator

danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Try this

Post by danno527 »

Two weeks ago i was on my agecommunty stats page and realized that i had less than 10 games played for 5 civs. So i gave myself a challenge of play ten rated (in unrated players are trying new civs and wierd strats so it doesnt reflect well on a real game) games minimum with every civ. To my surprise i realized i Kick Ass with Spain, 8 wins out of 10. the rest I havent done too badly with so far except for England. I also learned a lot about the civs for when i play against them.

You should all try this. One warning though my elo dropped 1500 points and my Pr went down by 1.4. I had fun thougth and it was worth while. now i just have to get 15 more games in to get my games played above ten for every civ.
out,
Danno
LoN_Colossus
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Try this

Post by LoN_Colossus »

Your elo dropped one thousand 500 points? 8O
NEO_CrAz3n
Honorary Leader
Honorary Leader

Post by NEO_CrAz3n »

Playing rated is a good way to improve your game too. You usually get players best games that way.

Before TWC I played a lot more rated. I think around that time I got to 1800+ for the first and last time. :?
"Please accept my resignation. I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." -Groucho Marx

"Any strat that beats me is lame." -CrAz3n

"Quoting yourself is just as bad as speaking about yourself in the third-person." -CrAz3n
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

oops i meant 150 points. for 1800 to 1650. It wont take that long to get back up though, especially now that i have found my new kick ass civ spain.
Last edited by danno527 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

Spain is deadly in the right hands. I don't think they are the least played civ because they are UP; people just don't play them because they find their units rather boring. After all, they virtually all the basic units. Only the rodelero and lancer are unique. Personally I love Spain. It's a shame people don't use their great colonial potential more.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

I agree kaiser. I kinda have overlooked them for 8 months beacause they didnt really stick out to me as being interesting. When you compare France or Russia, at first glance spain look kinda bland. I gave myself a coulple of games with them and they are very fun. I also found that the souix are probably on of the most versatile civs in the game.
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

I love spain especially in treaty. The only problem is that I'm not good in rush to start with and for me spain is a hard civ to play with in rush. I should start looking up BOs for them

danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

just wisper me when im online and ill show you what i learned in 10 games
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

I was trying playing my low HC civs too. My PR went up! But my ELO went down. But I learnt alot.

Had fun with Spain. Best civ for FFing right? And Lancers with the attacking infantry upgrade were good. Lancers seem a real alternative to cannons. Won a few games with them.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

In this patch Spain is the most UP civ :\ I wish luck to all those who try them because when you FF you FF for nothing, just for 2 falcs, 5 hussars and some mercs and maybe 4 lancers and their colonial sucks because they can't spam xbows well and even when they do they can't beat HI well. Rodeleros aren't a standard unit anymore, they're more of a fast pike so spamming musks is more viable than spamming rods, not to mention musks are cheaper cause they cost less coin and more food.

They're ok on tp maps and maybe on sea maps, dunno about sea cause I didn't try but on no tp no sea it's doom.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]In this patch Spain is the most UP civ :\ I wish luck to all those who try them because when you FF you FF for nothing, just for 2 falcs, 5 hussars and some mercs and maybe 4 lancers and their colonial sucks because they can't spam xbows well and even when they do they can't beat HI well. Rodeleros aren't a standard unit anymore, they're more of a fast pike so spamming musks is more viable than spamming rods, not to mention musks are cheaper cause they cost less coin and more food.

They're ok on tp maps and maybe on sea maps, dunno about sea cause I didn't try but on no tp no sea it's doom.[/quote]

The last patch definitely hit Spain hard by taking away 5+4 lancers, 8+9 rods and quicker Age 3 age-up. You are so right about Spain's weakness against HI early game. Without ranged inf shipments, they are dead in the water against strong musket attacks around 5:00-6:00. If they go FF (which they can't get to until 7:30 at the absolute earliest with no support at all) their hussars are gone against the muskets, and it takes a while for a measly 4 lancers to get there. It is not a pretty picture at all. The only way they can do well is to breathe for a while, and who lets that happen?
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

I must say that spain + missionaries is really fun. 72 attack hussars in age iii and 29 attack skirms with no upgrades at all is just nasty.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

their xp rate got nerfed as well last patch, right?
you used to be able to ship 3 vills and archaic in discovery and still have a shipment ready in II, that's not so easy anymore without good treasures.
Lancers never impressed me and rods are very poor units imho.
Spain can still try the halb FF or risk a hussar revolt, but those only work in certain circumstances.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Spains lancers are awesome unless you run into a wall of hallys. The lancers are the reason why Spain was my first Civ choice when i bought vanilla. I played vanilla for a while until my friends brother boughter TWC and i found out about some of the cool new stuff and the awesomeness of the aztecs.
Anyway I like the rodilleros, in treaty games I use them alot because they are fast land units and can attack pretty fast so you have to kill them at a distance otherwise they can do heavy damage. Also durting a 3v3 game that lagged so bad until one of my teammates quit (think the other team was making the lagg until one of us dropped) though my teammates were russia and india. So at one point in the game i realize that my dolleroes when nearyby 10 missionaries could beat 1 on 1 the french guys cuirs. :twisted: I won that game 8) since between the french and the germans could not stop my armies slow advancement and my ally was able to make the 3 guys on the other team go through our other teammates base to get to him making them only be able to reach his outer walls by the time I was at the german guys walls with 5 fully upgraded mortars next to 10 missionaries. :twisted:
Sorry about the long post