Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

36drew
Honorary Officer

N3O League 36drew vs. Huggypierre

Post by 36drew »

Game A:

Map: Borneo (Huggys home map)
British (drew) vs. Russia (Huggy)
Description: I go for early hussars to raid + turtle with while sending schooners when I can. He gets docks in a few locations (one of which takes me a while to find. He hits fortress before me and I don't feel too comfortable.

Fun match, probably an entertaining match too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
36drew
Honorary Officer

Re: N3O League 36drew vs. Huggypierre

Post by 36drew »

Game B:
Map: Carolina (Drews home map)
Match: Ottoman (Drew) vs. Germany (Huggy)
Description: Again I go for early cav with 3 hussars as my first age ii card. I try to raid and get a SW or two. I notice he ages w/ 500 food and then immediately sends 700 gold which of course means FF. I notice he had also scouted my docs and he flattens me off sea. I go indy, he stays fort. GG.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Second game was pretty fun or at least it could have become a really decent match if i didn't send my 8 and 9 Uhlan Shipment vs your Spahis. Was pretty close until this point of the match. If anyone can give me some tips about my FF sea strat, i'd be really happy about it (maybe deck changes or something).

ggs man. always a pleasure to play vs you.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]Second game was pretty fun or at least it could have become a really decent match if i didn't send my 8 and 9 Uhlan Shipment vs your Spahis. Was pretty close until this point of the match. If anyone can give me some tips about my FF sea strat, i'd be really happy about it (maybe deck changes or something).

ggs man. always a pleasure to play vs you.[/quote]

I will definitely have a look. It always piques my interest to see Germans using fishing boats, we poor schoonerless Volk.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""][quote=""HuggyPierre""]Second game was pretty fun or at least it could have become a really decent match if i didn't send my 8 and 9 Uhlan Shipment vs your Spahis. Was pretty close until this point of the match. If anyone can give me some tips about my FF sea strat, i'd be really happy about it (maybe deck changes or something).

ggs man. always a pleasure to play vs you.[/quote]

I will definitely have a look. It always piques my interest to see Germans using fishing boats, we poor schoonerless Volk.[/quote]

I didn't use 'em ;)
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I've watched the Carolina game so far. I found myself experiencing deja vu as I watched Drew masterfully use his relatively few hussars to pin down and tie up Huggy's effort to exploit his Age III position. Huggy, he does this to me all the time! Drew, you are great at this. I watched the game from both perspectives, and I could see that you won the "pyschological" war by preventing Huggy from expanding out, grabbing berries, hunts and more mines. I have been in the same position; I never know how many hussars you have, and they seem to come out of nowhere. What amazes me is that you were able to keep Huggy pinned down without any infantry at all. You just 3 TC boomed! With barely any interference!

Spahis do a number to unupgraded uhlans. Huggy, it was a good idea to send doppels, but Drew is so good at keeping cav away from pike-type infantry. BRs might have been the better choice here. Even though they are expensive, cav can't run away from them like doppels. Also, if you want to straight-up FF with Germany as here, I would recommend IMMEDIATELY upgrading your uhlans to veteran. During the age-up you can gather the wood for a stable and the upgrade, along with 200 coin. Then, when you send you 9+8 uhlans, they are much, much better in battle. If your uhlans were upgraded in those clashes with the spahis, I think you would have won the fights. Also, consider putting 1000 wood in your FF deck. I've found that getting 3 TCs up as you pressure your enemy with your OP German Age 3 shipments really tilts the scales in your favor.

One last thing... don't you hate aging with the Marksman and losing your skirms to Drew's murderous raiders?? Huggy, I know what it's like :-P And Drew, I am beginning to get a feel for your raid/boom/turtle preferences. NOTE TO SELF: When playing Drew, always keep at least 5 pikes at home, no matter what else is going on anywhere on the map!! 8) GG Guys.

huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

Thanks for your feedback. Normally i gather those things for Stable + Upgrade, but this time i tried to get 500 wood and 500 gold for a second Frigate. It worked, though Drews raiding kept me slow. Aging with 6 skirms instead of 3 doppels was kinda stupid, but he was a little bit lucky to catch them right away. Maybe i should have send my units into my ships when we battled first time near Drew's base, but there is a reason why he is the higher ranked player :P. Very good map choice btw.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

[quote=""HuggyPierre""]Thanks for your feedback. Normally i gather those things for Stable + Upgrade, but this time i tried to get 500 wood and 500 gold for a second Frigate. It worked, though Drews raiding kept me slow. Aging with 6 skirms instead of 3 doppels was kinda stupid, but he was a little bit lucky to catch them right away. Maybe i should have send my units into my ships when we battled first time near Drew's base, but there is a reason why he is the higher ranked player :P. Very good map choice btw.[/quote]

No problem. I think you did great wiping out his fishing fleet. I always overlook the sea unles I'm a schooner civ, and it costs me dearly. He was lucky to catch your skirms, but even if they'd survived, they would not have helped against mamelukes and spahis 8O And there is no shame in losing to Drew; he goes toe-to-toe with PR 49 people (ie, H20) and outmicros them!

36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

^After such a detailed review, I can't wait to see the review of the next game!
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

Carolina:

Huggy, why did you go germans when you could go russia? :p

FFing wasn't a good idea. You could have stayed in colonial, boomed for a bit and taking map control, and after that you could sink his sea plans :D

Hehe Drew those are leet skillz, your score went skyline just a few mins after losing sea, and with ottos, that's amazing! Ottos are hard to boom with. gg

Borneo:

Huggy you lost this game because you didn't watch over your vills and because you decided to rush while sea booming and being harassed. Staying at home protecting your vills could have worked better, but I have to say Drew was outstanding in this game.
huGGy
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by huGGy »

[quote=""Sporting_Lisbon""]

Borneo:

Huggy you lost this game because you didn't watch over your vills and because you decided to rush while sea booming and being harassed. Staying at home protecting your vills could have worked better, but I have to say Drew was outstanding in this game.[/quote]

True. I wasn't sure what to do. Early harrassment and go for water after some minutes, or pure water early. So i decided a little bit of both while my Blockhouse should secure this hunt and goldmine. Well, it didn't work. It never works when you try to do 2 things at the same time, lol.

I agree with Drew playing outstanding :)