The Aztec Puma Rush: Your Answer to Japan Lamers

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Warlord678
Corporal
Corporal

Re: The Aztec Puma Rush: Your Answer to Japan Lamers

Post by Warlord678 »

I've been using this Aztec guide recently. It's funny to see the reactions from people after you've taken down there TC so early. Thanks for the guide highlander, its very fun to use :D

Warlord
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

[quote=""Warlord678""]I've been using this Aztec guide recently. It's funny to see the reactions from people after you've taken down there TC so early. Thanks for the guide highlander, its very fun to use :D

Warlord[/quote]

yeah its a good strat against some slow civs, iv seen that its also viable against russia aslong as they ship 5 cossack 1st, but the normal colonial aztec Pwns Russia :twisted:
GeneralMichael
N3O Member
N3O Member
Steam: MDSamurai12

Post by GeneralMichael »

Yesterday i was doing a 2v2 rush with china and my ally decided to do a real ff with spain. He was aging when i was just about ready to charge. Anyway after I crushed the other teams fb we decided to push to the british guys base. When we almost had his tc down his teammate had kept sending cyotes. and he was getting large forces of them. That was pretty much all he made the hole game. Eventually the other team won because my teammate after he reached age 3 he kept a low number of villagers. So this made me think about a cyote rush if it was a good idea and seeing this test deck made me think maybe it is possible

Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Sorry to cut across, but can I ask some questions, comment, about this fast HI rush strat?

(1) Am I right in saying you're not building a FP, but using your WP to help collect treasures, attack, and saving the 100 FP wd for a 2nd house?

(2) Do you scout out your opponent's base? I'm thinking it would be useful to check where/if a barracks is going up, but, by scouting around your opponent's TC you might alert them to a rush strat and therefore cause them to make more defensive choices when choosing early shipments, etc.

(3) I was trying this strat this morning. I think I've got it going fairly smoothly, but, I get mixed results. At the moment, I wouldn't say it's giving me that edge to get me from 2nd leut to Captain. I'm finding my puma are vunerable to hit and run from LI & minute men. The WC and WP are fairly good at chasing hit and runners (i.e., having lots of hp and not being classed as HI), but still :S. I realise Coyotes come in eventually, but, if enough of the pumas/SK are taken down the attack looses it's momentum and you're left not having taken down the TC, with heavy troop casualties, and a horrible eco. It's possible to recover still and win the game - which I did this morning - but that's questionable against players the same rank or higher than me.

(4) Lastly, do you wait until you have WC, WP, Skulls, any pets, and 11 Puma's before moving in to attack? Or, do you trickle in as the arrive, e.g. wave 1 = WC, WP, Skulls, wave 2 = 5 Puma followed closely by 6 Puma? I was waiting until the force was complete before moving in to keep surprise.

Is it possible to give me some pointers? Where I might be going wrong?

I was finding CTRL-1'ing my WC, WP, SKs, and any pets coverted useful. And then having the Pumas on CTRL-2.

Edit:

(5) If your opponent has an outpost up, do you take that down with/after the barracks or do you leave the outpost firing on you and go for the TC still?
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Oh, and one more question :).

I think India was on the list to use this strat on. If they put a fort up near their TC do you still go in? If so, do you try to take the fort down first, or the TC under fire?
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

This strat has been going fairly well for me. When it works, it works very well. In my experience it absolutely crushes Japan. :D

I also use Ctrl Grp 1 for my WC, WP, SK and converted guardians and start my attack once I have these and at least 11 pumas (6 shipped + 5 built), at this point my vills are split 6F/3C. Once my attack has begun, I often can queue up another Puma here and there, which really helps and often start arriving the same time as my 10 Mace with 9 Mace/5 Coyotes not far behind. :twisted:
"Nature doesn't like Agra forts." - Sporting Lisbon

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
NZ_Gamer
Conscript
Conscript

Post by NZ_Gamer »

Hi all. This strat caught my eye cos I enjoy the rush civs. Have tried this strat 6 times now against people my rank (2nd Lieut) and been owned every time. I get the rax and stable down but not tc. MM etc clean up along with 1st shipment of troops for ops. What sort of time do you need to be attacking? Perhaps Im too slow??? I have 111 puma and the rest good to go a 5min 15secs. Without getting the TC down my eco is stuffed so i get beaten......... Would love any feedback cos it seems like a cool strat
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Sounds similar to me, although I have won some games with it.

But if you can't take down a TC with 111 pumas what's going on? :). Just teasing, I know you meant 11.

Think I'm going to stick to a more regular style of play.

Highlander, if you can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. I asked some questions a few posts up. If you could answer it would be great :).
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

the answer is rather easy imho, the better the opponent, the less any kind of hard suicide rushes will work. That's the reason you never see any expert doing these strats.Gotha admit though that these strats are usually extremely funny to do sometimes, just don't use em as a main strat.
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

I think you might be right :). Having said that, I think Highlander suggested this strat helped move him from 2nd Leut to Captain.
NZ_Gamer
Conscript
Conscript

Post by NZ_Gamer »

Id love to see anyone stand up to a 111 puma rush :-)

I think CHAOS hit it on the head re playhing decent players, but I'm curious as to how HIGHLANDER went from 2nd Lt to Major with this, assuming he had decent opponents. Can't seee how this works v Otts either given they have very fast age times?

Have also worked at that once the 11 pumas are ready its wise to switch a gold villie to wood so you can get more houses going. Otherwise you cant get any vills out after the age.

Once again any feedback from Highlander would be gratefully appreciated......
Shizle

Post by Shizle »

I tried this in an unrated game against a 1st lt. when the strat was first posed and he was prepared for me. I remember being ready at a decent time too. Just tried it one time though, should get back in the saddle and try again. Highlander must have refined it big-time.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

Highlander claimed that the strat he posted was not his top build and that he refined it to bettter his eco, but to my knowledge never posted his top build.

I find that this start works ok against players at my lower level and does do very well against Japan. One thing that is critical to this working well is to add units from your war hut ASAP, a straight rush with 11 Pumas, WC, WP and a few creeps will rarely work without shipped units and built units arriving quickly. If they don't arrive after the rax is down and before the TC is attacked it's gg, imho.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. - Ben Franklin
36drew
Honorary Officer

Post by 36drew »

This strat beat me ottos.
cleeduz
Honorary Officer

Post by cleeduz »

[quote=""36drew""]This strat beat me ottos.[/quote]

I used a modified version of this strat (once pumas were built, switched 1 vill to wood, chopped 50W and built another house, so I could start making vills again) to beat an Otto M. Sgt (That's a big deal for me) recently. :D

If your opponent does not scout the wood shipment and the switching of vills to gold, and doesn't realize what is about to hit them it does work, surprise is the key, imho...