The Aztec Puma Rush: Your Answer to Japan Lamers

Talk about Strategies and share your Replays here

Moderators: Global Moderator, Age Moderator

Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The Aztec Puma Rush: Your Answer to Japan Lamers

Post by Highlander999 »

I attribute this strat to making me rise 2 ranks from 2nd Lieut to Captain. I have beaten plenty of Lieutenant Colonels with this and it eats Japan alive. Other civs it works vs are: China, Britain, France, Spain, Sioux, Otto's. It also works ok vs Germany and India if you are on the ball. However, do not try it vs Iro, Ports (lol, ironic) and Aztec mirror as you'll be hitting the dust hard. This strat is OP on Deccan and Carolina, so practice it on there

Firstly this is what my deck looks like:

The crucial cards here are 300 wood, 10 mace and 5 coyote runners.

Here is my BO:

- First 2 villis on crates, rest hunt.
- Queue as many villis as possible until you hit pop limit so you have 9 villagers, all hunting
- Get as many treasures as you can. If you had 300 wood crates, get as many gold or food ones as you can to try and help your age up time. If you had 100 gold crate try and get a 50 wood treasure first.
- Send 300 wood as your first shipment
- Once you have 800 food, age up, with the 2 skull knights, whilst sending 2 villis forward to build your warhut. Also put 4 villis now on gold and 1 to gather the wood crates.
- Once your villi has finished with the wood crates make him build 2/3 houses and put him back on food
- Your warhut should be built by now (or very soon) Make it your home city shipment place and put those 2 villis onto hunting.
- You should try to aim to be aging up with 250 food and 250 gold. Once you have aged ship 6 puma spearmen and build 5 puma spearmen
- Once you have 11 puma spearmen, send them into the enemy's base. Get his military buildings down. Then hit his tc, using your warrior priest, xplorer and skull knights to deal with any military units which appear.
- You should also be sending either your mace or coyote runner shipments for extra support and to get his villi's
- Now it is just a matter of cleaning up

Here is a link to the rush in action. Me vs Hydro (Captain) as Japan. As you can see I took his rax down and used the skull knights to great effect.

http://www.aoe3clan.com/index.php?name= ... 2735#22735

Feel free to post any feedback or questions here :D Enjoy beating those Japan lamers ;)
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Re: The Aztec Puma Rush: Your Answer to Japan Lamers

Post by Tubruk »

nice il be sure to try this out :P
but i dnt think the recs wrking, or is it just me? :S
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

What's up with it?
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

its fine now for some reason Internet Explorer wouldnt show hyperlinks :?
Tubruk
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Tubruk »

its fine now for some reason Internet Explorer wouldnt show hyperlinks :?
Hydrovert5
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Hydrovert5 »

Yeah I make a cameo appearance and got bashed around a bit.

Good game mate. ;)
danno527
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by danno527 »

This works well trust me we met in qs and he total caught me off guard. I wasnt laming japs i was playing russia i think. anyhow nice write up Highlander.
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

aging at 4min+ with just 9 vils is really risky

i dunno why Hydro didnt call mm or ship 5 ashi's instead of 600w, he did spot you had shipped 300 wood

also: fight with your vils when they siege your TC; losing a few doesnt matter

add the 9 maces card to your deck

I can't believe this eats japan alive, only those who have 0% adaptation skills
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
TheRam
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by TheRam »

With the Puma sieging your TC they will kill it before you can get a shipment, it seems like a decent rush, choco tried it against me earlier but I peeked and realised what he was doing (saw him on this forum page) so I walled and aged with 10 vills building yumi :P
Either way, as I've said a million times - well executed rush > Japan.
Sporting_Lisbon
N3O Officer
N3O Officer

Post by Sporting_Lisbon »

It is a good rush, I just suggest not to do it all games as if he rushes or foresees the strat you'll lose.
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

I noticed that BenS64 has been crushing people around M.Sgt. with this. I agree that if you're spotted trying this strat, you'll lose badly. But if you just go along with standard discovery this strat definitely can catch you with your pants down.

Having said that, thanks for posting the deck and B.O. Now I'll know immediately if an Azzie is going to pull this on me and I'll have a few walls and 14 xbows ready! The gold-gathering and minimal villie count looks like a dead giveaway, too. Scouting... one of the most priceless skills in AOE.

Nice post, Highlander :-P 11 Pumas at your TC before you age is a frightening prospect, indeed!
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
I__CHAOS__I
N3O Member
N3O Member

Post by I__CHAOS__I »

those pumas won't be at your TC before 5'00"

scouting is indeed priceless in aoe, yet so easily done wrong.
How often to you get distracted by some treasure...
Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness. - Sophocles
Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient. - Aristotle
Highlander999
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Highlander999 »

[quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Having said that, thanks for posting the deck and B.O. Now I'll know immediately if an Azzie is going to pull this on me and I'll have a few walls and 14 xbows ready! The gold-gathering and minimal villie count looks like a dead giveaway, too. Scouting... one of the most priceless skills in AOE.

Nice post, Highlander :-P 11 Pumas at your TC before you age is a frightening prospect, indeed![/quote]

You don't honestly think I would put my top of the range BO and deck here do you??? This was my original strat, I have tweaked this slightly so I age up about 10 seconds later but with a half-decent economy and now use that ;)
Kaiser_von_Nuben
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Kaiser_von_Nuben »

[quote=""Highlander999""][quote=""Kaiser_von_Nuben""]Having said that, thanks for posting the deck and B.O. Now I'll know immediately if an Azzie is going to pull this on me and I'll have a few walls and 14 xbows ready! The gold-gathering and minimal villie count looks like a dead giveaway, too. Scouting... one of the most priceless skills in AOE.

Nice post, Highlander :-P 11 Pumas at your TC before you age is a frightening prospect, indeed![/quote]

You don't honestly think I would put my top of the range BO and deck here do you??? This was my original strat, I have tweaked this slightly so I age up about 10 seconds later but with a half-decent economy and now use that ;)[/quote]

Sounds good to me. If I knew what I was doing with Aztec I might actually give this a shot. It looks fearsome.
"The German Army will not stand for it!"

-Colonel Bockner, King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Sun_Tzu1
Major
Major

Post by Sun_Tzu1 »

Right.

I've given this a go. My results have been a bit borderline. Both games I tried it I couldn't get the TC down before I lost my troops. In both cases, my opponent got MM, or equivalent out.

However, I am willing to work on tightening things up till I get it right. The thought of being able to fit a game into a 10 minute space (make or break) is quite appealling as it fits more around family life.

Finding myself housed was a problem. After building the WH, and aging with the 2 skull knights, you only have 6 pop spaces left. I managed to queue 4 pumas and then ship the 6 puma card but the moment you do that you can't build any more pumas. And I think I'm right in saying the queue finishes before the shipment arrives.

Am I right in saying, before you age, you're looking to collect another 50 wd and get your 3rd house up? Then you can ship the 6 pumas, queue at least 1 puma and hopefully reach the full 5 before the WH completes the build. 3 Houses sounds good.

Also, am I right in saying you hold back until you have 2 skulls and all the puma before you go in. Otherwise you loose the suprise & the TC can get more hits in on you.

It seems to me, if your opponent tends to send an eco shipment as their first shipment, this will work nicely. However, if they send a LI shipment as their first shipment, you can be in real trouble.

IMO, you can't hit them with your full force before they age. However, you're are looking to hit them before they can get their first shipment out.

Sun.